Manual to PS Upgrade Parts List Accuracy? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old May 21st, 17, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

Manual to PS Upgrade Parts List Accuracy?

Manual steering box is leaking, so I figured I'd possibly look at upgrading to PS. I've been looking at a couple of options. First I looked at was Classic Performance's upgrade kit #6768PSK on Summit for $600. Still have to get a pulley and bracket, which would run another hundred.

I started looking over the IROC conversion threads, and thought that might be a better route, but not sure, since everything is more or less piece mealed together vs. just getting a complete kit. Anyhow, here's the parts that I have found. If I'm missing anything, or if something doesn't go together, if someone could give me a heads up, I'd appreciate it.

Cardone PS Rebuilt Quick Ratio Box (#276550) - $105.00
Pitman Arm (Quick Ratio) (Moog K6582) - $57.00
Coupler (GM7826542) - $30.00
Bolt (GM7807271) - $7.00
Hose - (Edelman 71153) - $11.00
Hose - (Edelman 80194) - $18.00
Classic Performance PS Resevior (19-6168SB-6B) Summit - $160
Fittings (Weatherhead 1446 and 1447) - $30.00

Total Expense $418.00 - (Plus bracket and pulley)

Does this look complete and accurate? Classic Performance's kit is of course completely new and everything goes together, but I suppose the end result on this would be more appealing and is $200 less. Anyone have an opinion one way or the other?

67 Black RS Coupe, 383, M21 & 10 Bolt Posi. Edelbrock E-Tech 170 Heads, 2204 Roller Cam, Air Gap Intake.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old May 21st, 17, 06:53 AM
Team Member
Ray

Garage
Re: Manual to PS Upgrade Parts List Accuracy?

Chad,
I just changed my 68 from manual to power over the winter. I got lucky and found someone selling a used 67 quick ratio unit, pitman still attached, reservoir, and even came with the original ratty old hoses and rag joint. I replaced the hoses and found the right 302/350 c.i. cradle and bracket for the reservoir.
The price you quoted for the gearbox sounds real good but are you sure that's the final cost without the core exchange. S/H on core will kill any bargain price.
I found the crank pulley on ebay and restored it. You also listed fittings. I got my hoses from ricks and they came with the fittings attached and they bolted right up to the gear. They included another fitting with the kit which may be for a later year gear box w/metric fittings.
I'm just saying, if your on a budget like me, it can be done using the old school method of looking and waiting for the right GM parts numbers to show up online or swap meets.

'68 rs/SS 350 M-21 posi
numbers matching
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old May 21st, 17, 07:36 AM
Senior Tech
Paul

Chad, that looks like the list of parts that I used. I too read all the IROC box conversion threads on here before I did my conversion and the one thing I didn't like was most people were using some type of "insert" to mate the metric fittings on the modern box to standard fittings on the hoses/pump. Instead of doing that, I used a modern pump (cardone 20-7926), thus assuring it produced the proper pressure for the box and had metric fitting which would match the box. I then found hoses (with metric fittings on both ends) that would fit neatly and look very close to stock (edelmann 71153 and 80194). I got all my parts from rockauto and they were cheap. Everything went together easily and it looks / works great!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old May 21st, 17, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

Awesome. Thanks for the feedback guys. Going with a more modern pump makes sense as well. The Cardone box is from Summit, and has an additional core charge of $25 if you don't send back a core. I won't be sending back the core, so I guess its $130.

Did you all use any kind of reservoir or does the pump serve double duty? Also, what bracket and pulley did you use?

Hopefully this helps someone else, as the threads on the topic are informative, but I was having a problem finding a complete list in one spot where one could just start shopping. You really can't buy a modern manual box for much cheaper, so looks like I'll be going this route. Thanks again!

67 Black RS Coupe, 383, M21 & 10 Bolt Posi. Edelbrock E-Tech 170 Heads, 2204 Roller Cam, Air Gap Intake.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by cv2065; May 21st, 17 at 08:57 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old May 21st, 17, 09:15 AM
Senior Tech
Paul

The pump I used (cardone 20-7926) comes complete, pump and reservoir. It works but the return line fitting isn't in the ideal location and it has the "ham can" style reservoir which doesn't look period correct. I ran it for a couple of seasons but then replaced the reservoir with a more original style reservoir - I got it from CPP, part number 19-6969BB. It was easy to swap the pump in to the new reservoir and now it looks completely stock.

For brackets and pulleys, I used original GM - I have a '74 454 block in my car and I managed to find NOS power steering brackets on ebay. For the pulley, I'm using Dorman 300-122.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old May 21st, 17, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulvertz View Post
The pump I used (cardone 20-7926) comes complete, pump and reservoir. It works but the return line fitting isn't in the ideal location and it has the "ham can" style reservoir which doesn't look period correct. I ran it for a couple of seasons but then replaced the reservoir with a more original style reservoir - I got it from CPP, part number 19-6969BB. It was easy to swap the pump in to the new reservoir and now it looks completely stock.

For brackets and pulleys, I used original GM - I have a '74 454 block in my car and I managed to find NOS power steering brackets on ebay. For the pulley, I'm using Dorman 300-122.
Paul - The CCP pump was the one I was originally looking at for ~$150 (but for SBC). About $100 difference over the Cardone. Do the Edelman hoses plug right in to the box with no modifications or fittings? You also mentioned something about having a modern box so that it matches the higher pressure of the box. Any thoughts there switching back to the original pump?

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old May 21st, 17, 10:18 AM
Senior Tech
Paul

Chad, I think you may be a little confused about the pump. You should understand that there are two components to a power steering "pump" - the actual pump is one part and the reservoir is another part but they are generally sold together as an assembly. The cardone part number 20-7926 is a pump and reservoir assembly. The $150 CPP pump is also a pump and reservoir assembly. I used the cardone assembly but replaced just the reservoir with a CPP reservoir, which cost $40 bucks. Like I said, I used the reservoir that originally came with the cardone 20-7926 pump but later changed out the reservoir (swapped the reservoir on the pump) so it would look more original.

The cardone box 276550 has metric "o" ring fittings. The cardone pump 20-7926 also has metric "o" ring fittings. These two pieces were built to work together (appropriate pressure, same fittings) so then its just a matter of finding hoses that work - and those hoses are edelmann 71153 and 80194. They have metric "o" ring fittings and bolt right up to the box and pump with no modifications or adaptors. They fit well and look almost stock.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old May 21st, 17, 10:47 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Garage

Because I already had power steering I used my existing pump. I ended up using the Cardone 27-6550 box and original hoses with the metric insert adapters to hook up to the box.

Since you are doing a complete power conversion, you should follow Paul's advice and install the pump matched to the steering box. Although I am happy with the upgrade, my steering feel is a bit heavy since the stock pump pressure is lower than the later Gen box.

Just my 2 cents...

Mike.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old May 21st, 17, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

Quote:
Chad, I think you may be a little confused about the pump. You should understand that there are two components to a power steering "pump" - the actual pump is one part and the reservoir is another part but they are generally sold together as an assembly. The cardone part number 20-7926 is a pump and reservoir assembly. The $150 CPP pump is also a pump and reservoir assembly. I used the cardone assembly but replaced just the reservoir with a CPP reservoir, which cost $40 bucks. Like I said, I used the reservoir that originally came with the cardone 20-7926 pump but later changed out the reservoir (swapped the reservoir on the pump) so it would look more original.

The cardone box 276550 has metric "o" ring fittings. The cardone pump 20-7926 also has metric "o" ring fittings. These two pieces were built to work together (appropriate pressure, same fittings) so then its just a matter of finding hoses that work - and those hoses are edelmann 71153 and 80194. They have metric "o" ring fittings and bolt right up to the box and pump with no modifications or adaptors. They fit well and look almost stock.
Got it. Thanks for the clarification.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old May 21st, 17, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

Quote:

Got it. Thanks for the clarification.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old May 21st, 17, 08:16 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Wink Re: Manual to PS Upgrade Parts List Accuracy?

Quote:
The pump I used (cardone 20-7926) comes complete, pump and reservoir. It works but the return line fitting isn't in the ideal location and it has the "ham can" style reservoir which doesn't look period correct.
The power steering assembly's are different between the small block and the big blocks. The return line hose fitting, is the difference !

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode