Easy Power Steering Box Check Valve Removal (with Photos) - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 21st, 17, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Garage
Easy Power Steering Box Check Valve Removal (with Photos)

A couple years ago, I upgraded my steering to a quick ratio power steering box. I am not going to detail every step, because those procedures have been well documented in this forum.

The one thing I could not find is a detailed explanation for anyone that wanted to remove the power steering box check valve. There were some references to using a 1/4 bolt... or an "easy out" to remove the check valve, so I used this information and documented the process. Removing the check valve is not critical, but I did read it was recommended in some of the posts I read to reduce pump back pressure and fluid temp.

Below are the steps I used (with photo links) to remove the check valve:

Location of the check valve in the power steering box/gear.
https://app.box.com/s/l0l0k31x57ine3rw0rhc6ren1jq7l1tn

This is what the check valve looks like so you have an idea of what you are dealing with.
https://app.box.com/s/75byk32k9dozh87l5tz8bh1gwnexzeu6

I found that a 10mm thread will screw itself into the check valve. I used a 10mm flat head screw for this process (it's what I had at the time), but a 10mm bolt will work just as well.
While holding the 10mm threaded portion of the bolt over the check valve, press down on the bolt a screw into the valve - BUT ONLY TIGHTEN ABOUT 1 to 1-1/2 TURNS ONCE YOU FEEL THE THREADS ENGAGE INTO THE CHECK VALVE. Be sure to keep the bolt straight into the check valve during this process.
https://app.box.com/s/w5boevho28t2vtsdo4eqfdig565sb3ej

Now remove the 10mm bolt from the check valve. You just wanted to get the bolt started into the check valve while you were able to see what was happening. Place a 10mm nut on the bolt and install all the way to the head of the bolt. Place a large flat washer over the port that has the check valve and insert the 10mm bolt thru the washer. Screw the 10mm bolt back into the check valve the same 1 to 1-1/2 turns as previously done in the step above.
Once the bolt is re-inserted into the check valve, hold the head of the bolt to keep it from turning... and begin to tighten the 10mm nut against the washer. As you tighten the nut against the washer, you will begin to pull the check valve out from the port.
https://app.box.com/s/zlixdi325f59h22g5xjwkxiwpk2xv4yd

Images of check valve removed from port.
https://app.box.com/s/38rnyckr4kzdphrx8zgrez4so6voqlcd

https://app.box.com/s/ecbqo6pylkx7sluzsbv9mtqszkilfxd3

Lee inserts installed into the power steering box ports.
https://app.box.com/s/me81oi4mklzf1vqiwsp3jko80mf2uo62

Location of "Pressure" and "Return" ports.
https://app.box.com/s/fs8wzyxbbiiq46e463h547az34x4negb

Anyway, I hope the procedures and photos help anyone that decides to complete this process.
Mike

Last edited by davidpozzi; May 28th, 17 at 05:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 21st, 17, 07:02 PM
Kevin

Re: Easy Power Steering Box Check Valve Removal (with Photos)

Mike, thanks! very detailed. But I have to ask, why is this needed? I am not up on the steering upgrades, but have been toying with it and want to learn more.

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 21st, 17, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Garage

Hello Kevin,
You are correct. This step is not necessary or needed. But I did read that removing the power steering box check valve was recommended Lee Power Steering to help reduce power steering pump back pressure and also reduce some heat within the power steering fluid... and below is a copy of a post by JimL82 (if I recall correctly, Jim was very experienced with the Saginaw steering box).

"Steering Gear Pressure Port Check Valves
There are millions of Saginaw power gears with check valves in the pressure port (the inboard port, closest to the aluminum side cover.) If your gear has a check valve you will be able to look down into the port and see a small spring loaded plate blocking the fluid entrance to the gear valve. You will be able to easily depress the small plate and open the check valve by probing with a thin screwdriver. The check valve prevents annoying harsh hydraulic feedback into the steering wheel (on some vehicles) when making moderate high speed turns while traveling over bumps in the roadway.
Quote:
David Pozzi Edit:
If you hit a curb with one wheel, the check valve helps reduce kick back & possible hand injury
The check valve does cause the power steering pump to work against slight additional back pressure in the system. Additional back pressure does cause additional heat to be generated by the power steering pump, but typically not enough to cause any problems."

Team Camaro has given me so much useful information over the years, and I just wanted to share something with others that may be thinking about completing the quick ratio power steering upgrade.

Side note: I did this upgrade over 2 years ago, and I have never experienced any harsh hydraulic feedback into my steering wheel.
Mike

Last edited by davidpozzi; May 28th, 17 at 05:11 PM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 17, 07:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Mike,
Thanks for taking the time to post the information. I'm sure your posting will be very useful to others in the future and thus my suggestion. The photos will help a lot and are integral to the value of your posting, but I can about guarantee they will ultimately be lost in their current linked form. There are many postings on this and other forums for which the photos are missing due the broken links or removal from the original storage location often rendering an otherwise helpful posting useless. Can you repost the photos as thumbnails or embed direct images in an update to your posting? That way they will be preserved for others as long as this forum is active.

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 17, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Garage

Hello Chris,
Thank you for your feedback and suggestions.
My original goal when joining this forum was to include the photos along with the "how to" posts I submit.... but as a non-sponsoring member, I have very limited storage space to attach the photos to the posts (about 1-2 photos total storage space).

I am thinking about becoming a sponsoring member... but until then, I will just use the photo links. I completely understand what you are saying about broken links. I only use my website photo account to store copies of my forum post photos, and I create files on my photo storage website to keep these images organized (and to help keep the links intact). I keep the original photos filed in my computer so I do not disrupt the website copies.

Over the past several years, I have taken a lot of digital photos of the various projects I have completed on my car. It is only recently (this month) that I joined this forum to share some of my experiences. I am the kind of person that will spend 2 hours of research for a 10 minute job... and I have spent more hours than I can count on this forum doing research for the projects I have completed. I hope my posts can help guide others the same way I was helped by this (and many other) forums.

Thanks again!
Mike
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 17, 07:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

I too do a lot of research here and really appreciate the help everyone here provides. We look forward to benefiting from more of your input.

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 26th, 17, 10:40 AM
David Pozzi

You can make those photos show up in your posts. Click "Advanced" then choose the square images icon with a mountain & sun. Paste the image link in the box that appears.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in