Power steering conversion - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 17, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Craig

Power steering conversion

I have a 69 Camaro 350 that the past owner replaced with a 327 with 462 heads.

I'm gathering the parts to convert it to power steering. I have done a good bit of reading, following many links, and have collected some parts so far but have questions on the rag joint and pitman arm.

I picked up a steering box from an '87 IROC only to find out it was re-manufactured. That's a question mark?
I bought a power steering pump for the '87 with pulley.
I bought from CPP the reservoir for a '69 to put on the '87 pump.
I bought the Edelman 71153 and 80194 metric hoses with an inline filter.
I have the pump bracket for a 327.
I have the GM harmonic balancer double pulley. Not sure if I need the 3rd pulley add on as yet.

Right now I'm trying to figure out if I have the right rag joint and what pitman arm I need.

I bought a LARS 200 rag joint and it didn't look like it would fit the '87 gear box. I looked up the '87 camaro on RockAuto. It calls for a LARS 205. I returned the 200 for a 205 but I'm not sure if its correct. I have seen
GM7826542, Dorman 31011 ,RJC-R3 mentioned. I have counted splines on the '87 gear box. 26 and the flat spot. The old '87 coupler has 15 and the flat. The LARS 205 has 16 and the flat.

The '87 gear box pitman measures around 6.5 inches. Then there the pitman on the manual gearbox. Need info on what pitman arm I should go with? I have seen Moog K6582 mentioned.

69 Camaro SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 17, 07:45 AM
Senior Tech
Paul

Re: Power steering conversion

Craig,
I have the identical setup in my car, albeit mine is a big block so the brackets and pulleys are different. My car was originally a manual steering car so I used the Moog 6582 pitman arm. The key to choosing a pitman arm is knowing what length steering arms (at the spindles, not sure what they're called) you have. They were different lengths depending on if your car was originally manual or power steering.

For the rag joint, I'm using the Dorman 31011 which fits the '87 box.

1969 Rally Sport
LOS car built 3rd week of November '68
427 | AGE M22W | 3.73
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 17, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Craig

Thank you very much for the information. Helps me. I'll take a look at the steering arms length.

Since the 350 was replaced with a 327 its been a bit more research on brackets and pulleys. I ordered pump brackets for a '67 327 not a '69 350.

It was raining hard the day I picked up the steering box from a guy parting a '87 IROC. He had pulled it from the car and it was sitting next to the car. I paid him and loaded it up. I didn't take time to see that it was re-manufactured and not an factory XH gear box. My mistake. I searched all the numbers on the gear box but couldn't find out whose it was. I'm going to go with it and see how it works out. If not I can source a different one but at least the rest of the conversion will be done.

69 Camaro SS

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 17, 11:49 AM
Senior Tech
Paul

Good luck with the conversion. My advice on the brackets/pulleys is to try to find a set that matches the engine/water pump you're putting it on. For me, my car has a big block from 1974 with a long water pump so I sourced some NOS power steering brackets for a 1974 BBC with LWP. Good luck.

1969 Rally Sport
LOS car built 3rd week of November '68
427 | AGE M22W | 3.73
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode