Gear box has a "sticky spot" - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 17, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Greg

Gear box has a "sticky spot"

My Camaro seems to have a spot in the steering where it sort of catches and then releases as you are turning. It is noticeable when you are driving and start to go around a corner. You can feel it in the steering wheel like there is something not allowing it to turn then once you get through that spot it is fine. My steering linkage isn't hitting anything so it seems to be a gear box issue. I have an IROC gear box. Anyone else have this issue or know of a fix besides changing the gear box?

My 69 Build thread :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 Z28 (sold)
1987 Iroc-Z (sold)
2005 350Z (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 17, 10:34 AM
Senior Tech
Paul

Re: Gear box has a "sticky spot"

I have the same exact issue. I'm running a big block and I had to dent my headers to clear the box - and they just barely cleared by 1/8 inch or so. I assumed the heat had caused something in the box to get fried and thus causing a feeling like resistance at a certain point while turning. If I recall, it only happened when turning one direction.

I pulled the engine/trans and everything else this spring and I'm putting it all back together with correct frame stands and stock exhaust manifolds so I shouldn't have any more clearance issues. Also replacing the box while everything is out so hopefully resolves the issue for me but I'm following this thread to find out what others think is the issue.

1969 Rally Sport
LOS car built 3rd week of November '68
427 | AGE M22W | 3.73
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 17, 11:41 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

I had this symptom once on an '81 Grand Prix. It ended up that the column had partially collapsed so the slight hitch was in the column.

George
69 Base V8 Coupe (purchased in 1988)
Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 17, 07:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

If the problem is just off center and occurs when turning both directions it could be the over center adjustment is too tight. Loosen the lock nut on the top of the box and back out the allen screw a half turn and see if it improves.

Jeff
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 17, 07:56 AM
Tech Team
Donnie

I had this problem before. Try checking the V belt and make sure it is tight and not oily or greasy. When you go to turn you put torque on the pump which in turn puts torque on the fan belt causing it to slip. It finally catches up and then the car will turn normally. Drove me crazy for awhile!

Camaro Donnie
1969 RS/SS Black 4 Speed Camaro Coupe
390 Gears with 410 CI small block
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode