1Likes
  • 1 Post By Vega

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 17, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
Probationer
Rob

68 Camaro suspension upgrade

Hi all,
Looking for some advise/direction on suspension upgrades for my 68. At the moment it's completely stock. I'm looking more for a Sunday driver setup that handles well without the hard ride associated with track/strip setup. I'm installing an LS in the near future so will be looking at having 500-600hp. I've done a fair bit of research but the more i read the more i realise i'm completely lost on this. I'm a heavy machine mechanic so am handy on the tools. Installation/modifications no issue. I've looked into complete setups from QA1 and Hotchkis as the frontrunners at this stage but it would be awesome to hear from anyone with advice/experiences to share.

Cheers, Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 17, 07:12 AM
John

Garage
Re: 68 Camaro suspension upgrade

I would go with the Ridetech Street Grip
H20cooled likes this.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 17, 08:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jonathon

Agree with John, Ridetech front and rear set ups are great. Just give them a call and tell them what you're planning to do with the car and if don't purchase anything yet you can at least know what you're looking at price and idea wise.

68 Resto-Mod in progress..355sbc .350 Trans Rushforth wheels
My Build:

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 17, 09:15 AM
Tech Team
Nelson

I would agree with the ridetech also , I was originally going to piece my suspension together , when I started looking at all the different possible combinations it got quite confusing as to what worked with what , especially where the steering was involved. To me there was a lot of value in ordering a complete kit...Simply a matter of opening the boxes , bolting on and boom ... State of the art suspension and steering.

1967 Firebird Project car
1971 GT-37 400/4-spd
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 17, 03:16 PM
Senior Tech
mike

I would do that too if I had John's money. Sorry John just kidding. In my opinion if you are just looking for a Sunday cruiser rebuild what you have do the G-mod(easy to look up) put on a decent sway bar front and back or just front and drive the crap out of it. The factory setup for these cars work better then the seats can hold you.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 17, 04:27 PM
Senior Tech
Nick

I have the hotchkis front and rear suspension kit. I love it. I also installed a fast ratio power steering box along with it. Night and day difference over stock suspension.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 17, 05:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Timmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblockragtop View Post
I would do that too if I had John's money. Sorry John just kidding. In my opinion if you are just looking for a Sunday cruiser rebuild what you have do the G-mod(easy to look up) put on a decent sway bar front and back or just front and drive the crap out of it. The factory setup for these cars work better then the seats can hold you.
Hi Rob
X2 for Mikes response.

From what you are looking for, the Proper Springs, Shocks, "Anti Roll Bar" (Sway Bar) will make your ride a Pleasure.

I put the Hotchkis 2" Drop springs for the BB Install, (My 427 BB), I did Drill my Upper "A" Arm supports for the G-Mod (Guldstrand Mod) while I had my Frame Stripped Bare.

I Installed an Addco 1 1/8" Anti Roll Bar, and a 90's IROC Power Steering Box, New Rubber "A" Arm Bushings, new Upper/ Lower Ball Joints, KYB Shocks and the 2 rubber Roll/ Sway Bar Link Hardware kits.

I drive my Car everywhere, Longest is a 5 HR ride to my Son's College Car show - My Car Handles great even with the Goodyear Polyglas GT Tires.

I would consider my car more than a Sunday Driver - It's a Blast without Breaking the Bank

Now, if you are saying "Sunday Cruiser" and you are going to Autocross it or putting it on the Track behind a 5th/ 6th Gen car, You need to do the research for the higher Suspension upgrades.

Some Suspension Pic's.
Guldstrand Mod Holes in Pic # 2, Red Circles.
Timmy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0638.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	185578   Click image for larger version

Name:	Guldstrand Mod.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	185586   Click image for larger version

Name:	1969 Camaro Front Susspension 2.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	185594  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1969 Camaro Front Susspension.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	185602  

1969 SS/RS Coupe 427BB 700R4 12 Bolt 4:11 A/C, High School Resto Mod

November 1968 Build Date
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 17, 01:38 PM
Senior Tech
T.C.

our Torque Arm Kit is very nice - Bolt-In, Adjustable, Made in the USA

BMR Suspension TAS001 - Torque Arm Suspension Kit, GM 12-bolt Differential - 1967-1969 F-Body

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode