• 1 Post By Vega
  • 1 Post By foreverlookin
  • 1 Post By ilikeike

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 17, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dennis

CPP Big Brakes / 68 Camaro

Has anyone installed CSS Big Brakes on their 68? The previous owner had them installed on my car, and after crawling under the car and doing some inspection, things are a mess.

I know things are wrong with the emergency cables on the drivers side (its wrapped around the axle) and the driver side is wrong too (too short to even connect). I'm afraid maybe the brakes have been installed wrong too - but don't have instructions and the CSS customer service is clueless. They did email me a very informative one page direction sheet (sarcasm). Hopefully someone here has been through this and has some experience with these brakes.

Help is very appreciated.

Thanks!

Dennis

Last edited by Vega$69; Jun 14th, 17 at 04:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 17, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dennis

Re: CSS Big Brakes / 68 Camaro

CPP Brakes....sorry, I dunno where CSS came from?

Thanks
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 17, 10:09 PM
Senior Tech
Simon

Garage

Here's a tech page from CPP, scroll to the brake section and see if you can find something that matches up or looks like your set-up.
Classic Chevy, Chevrolet, GMC, Ford technical articles

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 17, 10:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

Well Dennis I bought the CPP big brake kit for my 68 and was shocked by how poorly written and illustrated the instructions were. I admit this was my first foray into doing a rear brake drum to disk conversion so I took it real slowly.

The centering of the caliper pads over the rear rotors should be done the first time as a rough gage and final after the system is bled they give you plenty spacers to do this. I didn't do a final centering and ended up with a caliper bracket rubbing on the rotor which only rubbed when it heated up driving it. Spent allot of time on this and I still have a bit of a noise when I turn left that I have to resolve.

The emergency brake cables are a joke and I ended up measuring and ordering new one to fit as the ones that came with the kit were lets just say undesirable.

I did call them for some assistance and they were helpful but your kinda on your own and I don't know why the emergency brake cables that came with the kit didn't work.

Would I do it again with CPP BIG BRAKE KIT....nope
dukhnt likes this.

Steve
The best laid plans are those not made (mine)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 17, 04:43 AM
John

Garage
Re: CPP Big Brakes / 68 Camaro

I just put CPP rears on a 67 last Sunday. The instructions were wrong for our application and the pictures included in the instructions did not depict the parts that were included.

The brake cables were too long however we were able to get them to work ok.

The master cylinder and proportioning valve combo leaked in 5 places. Took serveral hours to get sorted out.

I would look at Right Stuff or Kore3.

Kore3 would be my 1st choice.
dukhnt likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 17, 05:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

Oh yeah forgot to mention that the proportioning valve was screwed and I ended up changing that also....plus I had to drill out the master cyclinder mounting holes as they were wrong also.
dukhnt likes this.

Steve

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 17, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverlookin View Post
Oh yeah forgot to mention that the proportioning valve was screwed and I ended up changing that also....plus I had to drill out the master cyclinder mounting holes as they were wrong also.
Thanks for all the help. I think at this point, I have everything correct and working as it should EXCEPT the emergency brake cables. The one on the drivers side was wrapped around the axle once, which I cant imagine being right.

The one on the passenger side is about 4 inches short and I cant figure out any way to make it work. Waiting for some pictures, but I think some custom made cables are in order. These have portions of the casings rubbed / torn away, which isnt good either.

Thank you guys very much for the help.

Dennis
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 17, 07:19 AM
Team Member
Darin

Based on my buddy's experience on his Pontiac, Unless I was on a reeeal tight budget,I'd look at something else.

Maybe the instructions don't translate well from China Performance Parts.
dukhnt likes this.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70 US Gear Lightning r&p
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 17, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeike View Post
Based on my buddy's experience on his Pontiac, Unless I was on a reeeal tight budget,I'd look at something else.

If they weren't already with the car when it was purchased, I definitely would have looked elsewhere....especially knowing what I know now.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 17, 11:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeike View Post

That's something else I forgot to mention...they may make some of their stuff in the USA but those out of round rotors are defenantly from China

Steve

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 17, 07:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

Picture on the passenger side on a '68.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	420F6C5C-C0C6-4F5A-B338-445CE62BEB2F.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	242.9 KB
ID:	185841  

68 RS Coupe 355/350 TH, Detroit Speed, Hotchkis, Vintage Air, 8.5" 3.42 posi 10-bolt, MagnaFlow 2 1/2" exhaust, etc.

"The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men."
Samuel Adams
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 17, 02:43 PM
Senior Tech
Dale

My 71 came with what I figure were CPP rear brakes.
E brake cables were not includes when I bought the car. I used brake cables off a 90's mustang. I had to modify them to fit and have worked well for 5 years.
My car uses calipers off a early 90's mustang and rotors off a 90's lt1 camaro.
We did a lot of track days on a road course and the rear brakes were adequate.
Be sure the caliper is well centered in the rotor. If the pads wear too much the pad will come out, the rotor on my car is not thick enough for the rotor.

68 Dana 302, 68 rs 327 daily driver/family car, 71 rs, track car/ driver, 68 firebird 400, 70 formula 400, 73 type LT, 98 TA, 2 goofy kids and an incredible wife.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 17, 06:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

We tried CPP on my 67. They were defective so we replaced with Baer (they weren't quite as expensive 12 years ago as they are now)....

1967 RS Coupe (clone): 406 SBC, Thorley headers, Muncie, Hotchkis suspension, Centerline Matrix 17" wheels with Nitto 555's, Baer brakes, 12 bolt 3.73 posi, RS conversion, Vintage Air, PPG Hot Red. (SOLD)

1968 RS Coupe: Project...Mini-tubbed, Cammed LS 6.0, T56, 12 bolt 3.73 posi, Ridetech 4 link...slowly adding more...
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 17, 02:38 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangeMD View Post
We tried CPP on my 67. They were defective so we replaced with Baer (they weren't quite as expensive 12 years ago as they are now)....

I keep learning the hard way.....you get what you pay for....

Steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode