Vacuum pressure switch needed - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 17, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage
Vacuum pressure switch needed

I have only 7" of vacuum, so I have a vacuum pump I'm going to try connecting to my canister. I would like to find a small 1/8" npt switch that would turn off my small pump I bought that does not have a shut off. I found a good one but they want a 10 piece minimum order. They are $42 each. Gems Sensors and Controls
I think I need to get a "Normally closed" switch, that runs the pump until it reaches the desired pressure, then opens the circuit.
Anyone know of a cheap sensor/switch I could screw into my canister?
When driving, and I down shift, I have great brakes, so I feel like its just due to my cam (Comp Cams Thumper 295/312 duration and .522/.507 Lift).

Thanks,

Brett.......

1969 SS 396 X66 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 17, 09:56 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: Vacuum pressure switch needed

Brett, Check out Digikey and Mouser.

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 17, 04:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Daryl

Garage

A Cole Hersee 9253 switch should work for you. Should be able to get it at any Napa store.

1968 Rally Sport
302ci
Muncie M22
Moser 12-bolt 4:10 posi

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 17, 06:36 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

On ebay..... five available. Get spares.

New in box NOS Cole-hersee neutral safety switch 9253 | eBay

Rambler used them to keep the starter from engaging once the engine was running. Buick used the same type of deal when they used a gas pedal operated starter switch, late 50's, early 60's.

Jon N

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 17, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

This is the pump I bought. It works great! It pulls 20" of vacuum. Pretty darn quiet as well. I tried looking up the brands suggested and the Cole Hersee looks like it has been discontinued. Didn't find it online at NAPA. The others have so many choices. I don't know if I need a normally open or normally closed, and I need an adjustable one that has a 1/8 NPT. Does anyone have a part number of one they have used?
Thanks,
Brett.....

1969 SS 396 X66 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 17, 06:07 PM
Senior Tech
Nick

I would say normally closed and it opens when you get full vacuum maybe this will do for you and it does N/O or N/C Adjustable Vacuum Switch Kit 700R4 200-4R 350C Trans 6-22" Superior K058 (99412) | eBay

67 rs/ss 350 original eng,700r4, a/c, tilt, deluxe int,strato bench,Ca.emission,front disk,am/fm,floor clock,17" W/V Ralleys,Toyo T1S 255/40/17, 245/40/17
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 17, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCOOL_RSSS350 View Post
I would say normally closed and it opens when you get full vacuum maybe this will do for you and it does N/O or N/C Adjustable Vacuum Switch Kit 700R4 200-4R 350C Trans 6-22" Superior K058 (99412) | eBay
I saw this one! I got excited, but then I couldn't see how (or if) it threads into my canister. The ideal switch needs 1/8"NPT male threads, and I didn't see that on this unit. I definitely might could work. I did go ahead and buy this one. It is normally closed, so I think I got lucky, Yeah!

Brett......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode