Little bit of confusion with 1967 Camaro steering upgrade - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 17, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Nick

Send a message via MSN to Nick_R_23
Little bit of confusion with 1967 Camaro steering upgrade

Like many of you I'm looking to upgrade the manual steering in my 1967 Camaro to power steering, as well as gain a quicker ratio and some better road feel at the same time. I think eventually I'd like to end up with a nice, new 600 series box, but junkyard shopping is in my budget for now. I've spent a few days reading and researching about this as much as I could, but I still have a few questions about what I need. The biggest confusion seems to come with the fact that I have a 1967, and from what I've been able to find, the 1967 Camaro steering boxes had a different sweep angle than the 1968's and 1969s. According to a chart I found, the 67 Camaro had 87* of travel, while the 68-81 Camaros only had 67*. Thus, the IROC steering box swap would be a closer match to the 68+ cars, but not to my 67. I think what I need is the Jeep Grand Cherokee box, as those (along with my 68 Chevelle I'm about to do this swap on as well) also use 87* boxes.

Does this sound correct? I'd appreciate any help from 67 owners who have been through this!

2002 Silverado 1500HD : 1986 C10 Stepside : 1968 Chevelle Malibu : 1967 Camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 17, 07:38 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Re: Little bit of confusion with 1967 Camaro steering upgrade

What year Jeep Grand Cherokee do you use?
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 17, 07:46 PM
Team Member
Don

Probably worth spending some time on David's site.

Pozziracing.com

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 17, 07:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
scott

My friend just did the jeep box on his 70 Chevelle, said it is day and night between it and the original power steering
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 17, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rls8836 View Post
What year Jeep Grand Cherokee do you use?
For the Chevelles, it's 93-98 Grand Cherokee. I'm hoping I can use one for my Camaro, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
Probably worth spending some time on David's site.

Pozziracing.com

Don
I've been on there, but left with more questions than answers. The pitman/idler/steering arm lengths understandably get confusing. I think what I took from that, is that 67 uses different lengths vs 68/69, which results in the different steering box sweep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68basecoupe View Post
My friend just did the jeep box on his 70 Chevelle, said it is day and night between it and the original power steering
That's exactly what I'm after. I have stock manual steering on both cars, but my 68 Chevelle is mostly original everything, so if I do convert that one, I want it to look stock, which the Jeep box would do perfectly. The Camaro is the hotrod, and while one day I'll save enough pennies to go with the 600 box, if I can do the same cheap-jeep box on the Camaro for now too, I'd like to do that.

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 17, 07:29 AM
Tech Team
Chris

I have a 67. I did the swap with the IROC box. 2 1/4 turn lock to lock. (actually, it was a 92 Z-28 with the F82(?) package, but the same box, nonetheless) It works just fine. If there is anything different about the 67 from the 68, I can't answer but the steering box provides more than enough travel for me. I have no problem making a 90 degree turn from the driveway to the garage. I don't know if this allays any fears that you may have about the swap.

Regarding the pitman arm length, I used Moog part # K6582 which is the long one. This is the one that, IIRC, David Pozzi states should be used.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 17, 07:39 PM
Apprentice
James

Nick....I also have a 67 Camaro. Like you my research showed the 67 needed a larger steering angle than 68/69 models. Seems odd to me but that is what I found. Your numbers sound about right for the arc.

I used a 96-98 grand Cherokee box in my 67 and it gave wheel turning angle as stock. The difference is night and day better! You will need a different rag joint as the input shaft is a different size. Also you need adaptors that press into the high and low pressure side of the box then you can use regular 67 camaro ps lines. The adaptors and tool I used were from Lee manaufacturing...very easy to install.

Coincidentally I installed the same grand Cherokee steering box in our 1970 442 as with your chevelle it has the correct arc. Again works great although not as much improvement as the camaro since the 442 has optional quick steering box already.

Seems the 68/69 guys can run the IROC box.

Check out posts from Jim Shea ....he is a Saginaw steering retired engineer and absolute expect in my opinion. He wrote a technical paper on Saginaw boxes...think it's on the Chevelle forum.

Hope it helps you!

James
67 yellow SS/RS convertible - sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 numbers matching Red CA car 327 w/ SS badging
2016 Yellow SS convertible
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 17, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Nick

I had a nice long reply written up but it got erased! Gah, let's try this again...

James, that's exactly what I was looking for! I find the difference in numbers odd as well, but with as much as I can find, it appears to be correct, at least on paper. I've been on Jim Shea's site and pulled numbers from the papers he's posted, and it seems to back up what I'm looking at.

I found an article that Hot Rod published about different steering boxes and also included a nice little chart with all the specs listed. I didn't see where it said that they obtained that information from, so I'm not sure about it's accuracy, but again, it seems to be correct. They list a 1967 Camaro as having 87 Degrees of total travel, while 1968 and 1969 use only 67 degrees total. You can find the chart here about 1/4 down the page: Steering Box Upgrade - Hot Rod Network

I've found plenty of specs from Jim's site, and I'm assuming that they are measured from center of steering rather than total travel as in the Hot Rod chart.

For example, Jim lists the 1967 Camaro V8 as having 43 Deg, 30 Min of travel. One oddity is that it shows that RS cars got a DIFFERENT box with only 35 Deg of travel! This is the only instance I've found where it specs out multiple ranges of travel in 1967, but I could see it happening as it seems like there were also multiple length steering arms, pitman arms, and idler arms in that year. This same list also shows that 1968 and 1969 are both different with 31 Deg, and 32 Deg, 15 Min respectively. Negligible differences between the two, but certainly different from the 1967 specs. http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/wp-co...ev02JA2013.pdf

Jim also lists the specs for the A-body Chevelles, with 1965 through 1970 being the same at 43 Deg, 30 Min. As you can see, this is the same spec as the 1967 Camaro. http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/wp-co...ev02JA2013.pdf

Additionally, Jim has provided specs on the 1993-1998 Grand Cherokee steering box, which provides us with 43 Deg, 45 Min of travel. This is basically identical to the A-Body Chevelle as everybody already knows, but seemingly the same as the 1967 Camaros, also! http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/wp-co...ev01JA2013.pdf

Is there anyone here that can verify otherwise?

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 17, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Nick

So I just walked out to the garage and checked on my 1967 Camaro. My current original manual steering box does appear to have approximately 90* of total travel, which matches the above numbers. However, I noticed that it seems to hit the steering stops on the control arms before the box runs out of swing. I can't say for sure how far the box would go in total, but there is some travel left after the spindles contact the stops, as the steering wheel will still try to turn. I wonder if this is partially the reason for the smaller sweep of the 68 and newer boxes?

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 17, 12:02 PM
David Pozzi

GM set up the steering linkage to hit the stops at the spindles before the box hit it's internal stops. They probably matched the box to hit internally close to the same time but allow some room for toe adjustment and bushing sag, etc.
I don't totally believe the 67 data, it was the first year of production and a lot of things changed that probably didn't get recorded accurately. The RS option had no influence on steering as far as any data I have.

Take a look at your outer steering arms and see if they are the long versions. Camaro steering With a manual steering system, they probably are, and it's likely you have the short pitman arm.

There have been a few reports here of the IROC boxes not giving enough travel. They were in cars using the long outer steering arms and short pitman arm & IROC box.
I recommend using a long PS pitman arm if you have the long outer steering arms. The Jeep Grand Cherokee box has a tiny bit more travel. They are fast ratio and firm feel but probably one step softer like a Z/28 instead of an IROC.

The internal stops can be changed, the front one is easy, it's the end plug thickness. The rear spacer requires the piston to be removed. I haven't done one so I can't tell you how hard it would be. The end plug is pretty easy to remove.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 17, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Nick

Thanks for chiming in David. That does make sense about the steering stops. I do agree that the RS part is strange and I'm not sure I believe that myself seeing as I've never heard it anywhere else.

I will take a look at and also try to post up pictures of my steering arms as well as my pitman and idler arms. It's been a while since I've even touched this car, so I can't remember what it has under there.

The limited travel with the IROC boxes is what I'm trying to avoid. I like the JGC box because of the low cost and availability, I can live with the slightly smaller T-bar over the IROCs, no matter what it will be a huge improvement over the stock manual box. Having full travel steering and the faster ratio is what I'm really after. Having the stops slightly larger won't bother me either, I know when it hits the spindle stops and don't need to be wrenching the wheel any more.

To be honest, eventually I'm just going to end up with a full Ridetech kit, including their 4 link, tubular control arms, coilovers, spindles, and Tru-Turn steering. I'd like to go with a 600 series box as well, but that brings up another question. The 600 boxes I've seen are listed to fit 1967-1992 F-Body, 1968-1974 X-Body, 1964-1977 A-Body, and 1978-1988 G-Body all under one part number with the 12.7:1 ratio. Obviously these cars all have different steering angles, so do these boxes just come somewhat universal at full sweep and you just use the spindle stops to limit travel, or how does this work?

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 17, 12:47 AM
David Pozzi

I'm sure those replacement boxes have lots of travel so they work in any car.
Beware of swap meet type vendors selling "rebuilt" boxes, often they are medium 14/1 ratio at best & probably not rebuilt.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 18, 10:24 AM
Apprentice
opr8tions

You will need a different rag joint as the input shaft is a different size. ------>can anyone point me to link part number or link to purchase?

Also you need adaptors that press into the high and low pressure side of the box then you can use regular 67 camaro ps lines. The adaptors and tool I used were from Lee manaufacturing------I tried the screw in adapters from CPP. I suppose these turn the grand cherokee high and low pressure geer box metric holes into SAE. I installed stock pwr steering hoses. THe problem I have is the hoses/flared fittig wont screw down all the way into the CPP adapters at the geerbox side. There is play in the line and allows fluid to leak everywhere. Has anybody else experienced this?
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 18, 02:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by opr8tions View Post
You will need a different rag joint as the input shaft is a different size. ------>can anyone point me to link part number or link to purchase?

Also you need adaptors that press into the high and low pressure side of the box then you can use regular 67 camaro ps lines. The adaptors and tool I used were from Lee manaufacturing------I tried the screw in adapters from CPP. I suppose these turn the grand cherokee high and low pressure geer box metric holes into SAE. I installed stock pwr steering hoses. THe problem I have is the hoses/flared fittig wont screw down all the way into the CPP adapters at the geerbox side. There is play in the line and allows fluid to leak everywhere. Has anybody else experienced this?

I second this. Got the inserts from the gentleman at Lee Manufacturing around 2001, he knew what I needed when I asked about them. Used a 1980 WS6 power unit, used the above mentioned inserts, factory pump and hoses. The power unit has the smaller size diameter flange for the rag joint attachment and I was sent in the direction of a 1977 GM rag joint if my memory is correct. 2 1/4 turns lock to lock and very firm and controlled steering.

06A 1969 Camaro Z28 X33D80 69 B 711 Black Stripes Console w/tach and gauges.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 18, 09:04 AM
Apprentice
opr8tions

I used these inserts inside of cpp metric-to-sae gear box adapters, no more leaks. O Ring inserts....speedway Part # 91032921
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode