Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 17, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage
question on Steering box replacement 69 Camaro

I currently have a 69 Camaro with stock power steering and of course it is a bit sloppy. too much play. As I am reading posts, I have heard of replacing the steering box with a 3rd gen steering box which also can make it about 2.5 turns end to end which is less than stock. I would like that. I ran into a guy in a '68 Camaro that said he got a direct replacement from Detroit Speed that looked exactly like stock but new and tight and closer ratio. I was also informed to look at Borgeson brand but cannot find Camaro replacments.

Any way: without going to a junkyard, anyone done this upgrade and can point me to a part number of the Detroit speed or borgeson or other brand version that is a direct bolt in replacement not requiring significant modifications? Or more info on this upgrade?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 17, 12:20 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Garage
Re: question on Steering box replacement 69 Camaro

Start reading here...lots of good info within this thread and others. https://www.camaros.net/forums/16-bra...en-camaro.html

I used the Cardone 27-6550 box from Advance Auto. Sign up for SpeedPerks and use code SCW267 for 30% off. You can pick up at your local Advance/Carquest.

I used the hose adapters from Lee Manufacturing and the Dorman 31011 coupler.

There are other more expensive options out there if price is not a factor.

Edit...found another link...

https://www.camaros.net/forums/16-bra...x-awesome.html
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 17, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage

thanks for the feedback!! great info. I do wonder why the CARDONE version is less than $200 and the Detroit speed version is $800. I realize that one is re-manufactured but wow!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 17, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dad's 67 View Post
Start reading here...lots of good info within this thread and others. https://www.camaros.net/forums/16-bra...en-camaro.html

I used the Cardone 27-6550 box from Advance Auto. Sign up for SpeedPerks and use code SCW267 for 30% off. You can pick up at your local Advance/Carquest.

I used the hose adapters from Lee Manufacturing and the Dorman 31011 coupler.

There are other more expensive options out there if price is not a factor.

Edit...found another link...

https://www.camaros.net/forums/16-bra...x-awesome.html

So all in all I would need a 1) new steering box (whichever I choose $200-$800) and 2) a 'rag coupler' which changes from 7/8 to a 3/4 shaft I believe and then 3) hose adapters to be able to utilize my current hoses that would couple to the newer METRIC fittings? does this sound about right?

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 17, 11:15 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Garage

That should be it. I figured the cheap box was worth the risk. I kept the old steering box just in case. I did notice a reduction in return to center as others described, but the new steering feel is worth it. I am not sure if the new performance gears have the same problem.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 17, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage

the 'return to center' issue is that you feel that you have to manually return the car to center straight rather than the car finding center on it's own?
also does the new box that you have LOOK exactly like the original so I won't have to worry about fitment, headers etc.???

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 17, 01:08 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

I used a '96 Jeep Grand Cherokee PS box which is 100% interchangeable with the same Borgenson adapters and the rag joint. I love the feel. What a difference. And it only cost me $40 from a local guy who was parting out a wrecked JGC with just about 95-100K on it.

BTW, I seem to recall that Dave Pozzi said the '84 and up PS boxes that _are_ candidates are about 1/8" wider. Bought my headers used, they had the "dent" and they fit. I'm a budget hot rodder LOL.

'69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, 030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed, Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition
CompCams XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads, PYPES Full 3" SS Exhaust, Hooker Comp Headers, Wilwood Calipers/MC
JGC Steering Box, Helix Uppers/Lowers, ProForged BJs, SpeedHut Gauges, MOMO Steering Wheel, Budnik 17" Wheels
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 17, 01:10 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Garage

Correct on your description of the return to center issue. It may have been just variance in the casting, but the new box is about 1/8" closer to the header. Not a huge difference if you have that much room to spare. I haven't read any prior comments about a difference in size. The Cardone box comes dipped in a black coating. I scuffed, cleaned and shot it with "cast iron" color VHT engine enamel. I have also read that the Gen 3 box requires more pressure than the older pumps produce (1200 vs. 900). This will give a tighter steering feel. Like I said, I am happy with the steering feel of the conversion. If you search the Cardone part number (27-6550), you will find additional posts on the conversion; some positive and some not so much.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 17, 03:18 PM
Team Member
Rich

I bought one of the Cardone boxes and I can tell you they are not the same as the IROC boxes. I ended up sending mine to Lee Manufacturing and the changed it up so I would get the good road feel and then did a dyno test on it and its good to go.

If I was you I would call Lee Manufacturing as they can redo your factory one and set it up the same as the IROC and probably for less then you might think.

Rich

1967 SS350, Under construction.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 17, 01:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

As noted before, I went the budget route... got about a 90% improvement with the JGC box. It was in pretty good shape when I got it, but I wire brushed it, metal etch primed it and then did a couple coats of hammertone black. Polished and clear coated the end caps for kicks. Here's a collage with specs:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JGC-Collage-1TC.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	311.9 KB
ID:	186730  

'69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, 030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed, Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition
CompCams XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads, PYPES Full 3" SS Exhaust, Hooker Comp Headers, Wilwood Calipers/MC
JGC Steering Box, Helix Uppers/Lowers, ProForged BJs, SpeedHut Gauges, MOMO Steering Wheel, Budnik 17" Wheels
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 17, 01:27 PM
Senior Tech
Nick

I went with this AGR fast ratio box from summit. It was a direct replacement and fit with all my existing power steering set up. I love the feel of the steering. The price has gone way up since i bought mine about a year ago. I paid $380 on sale. For $545 i might prefer to pay just a little more and have lee steering rebuild my original box.

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/agr-292117
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 17, 01:30 PM
Senior Tech
jeff

I believe Detroit Speed sells the Delphi 600 box from Turn One. Expensive box but very good.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 17, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage

is the rag joint often a source of wobbly steering as well? should i replace it no matter what?

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 17, 10:26 AM
Banned
Chet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttwo View Post
thanks for the feedback!! great info. I do wonder why the CARDONE version is less than $200 and the Detroit speed version is $800. I realize that one is re-manufactured but wow!!!!
Because the Cardone is a P.O.S. that you don't know what kind of torsion bar has been put in along with any other rebuilds. 50-50 you get a good one. If you can't figure out the DSE box is a brand new GM piece and is why it costs so much......

Did you read the stickys on the subject? Hard to believe that a swap that has been gone over and over on how to do it for the last twenty years and has been scienced out still gets questioned by guys looking for shortcuts or are afraid to get their hands dirty in a junkyard..

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 17, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefiness View Post

Did you read the stickys on the subject? Hard to believe that a swap that has been gone over and over on how to do it for the last twenty years and has been scienced out still gets questioned by guys looking for shortcuts or are afraid to get their hands dirty in a junkyard..

ouch!
Actually i don't have a junkyard near but I'd always rather buy new parts...and my reading did prompt questions and making sure I'm using the most UTD info. Things do change

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode