Brake Sticking??? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 17, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

Brake Sticking???

The front left wheel was not rotating freely as the right was fine on jack stands. I removed the caliber on the 69 to find the inner pad worn out but the outside was 75% good. Rotor shows no grooves of excessive wear. Brakes have less than 5K miles in 15 years. I replaced both calipers and pads and flushed the fluid. Scuffed the rotors as they were shiny. Both hoses are fine and flow is good. After all this, the wheel still "drags" and does not spin as freely as the right. How I came to this issue is the left wheel did not feel right when driving under 30 MPH. The brake system is all stock. So any opinions or solutions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 17, 07:00 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Re: Brake Sticking???

Caliper not sliding freely on the pins? Remove pins and lubricate with high temp grease. Also check pins for corrosion and replace as necessary. If at some point someone cleaned the pins with a wire brush (in a drill) often that removes the corrosion-resistant coating and the pins rust. Remove the caliper and check the parts slide freely.

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 17, 07:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Is the flex hose straight? Had mine clocked just 90 degrees on the left front tire and had the same problem.

Sold:
1968 Base hardtop 250 with a P̶G̶ built 2004r
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Langdon split header to a 2.5" exhaust
Mild cam
Custom interior

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 17, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

The pins are new and lubricated properly. Hoses are fine with no kinks. Bled the lines and the right is still very tight to rotate. Got me stumped! Any more suggestions?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 17, 08:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Sounds like the sticking caliper is not only applying pressure unevenly, but may be hanging up. I'd jack up the car, pump the brakes a few times and spin the two front wheels for comparison with one another. For the side that appears to be tight and the wheel does not spin freely, crack the bleeder on the caliper and see if brake fluid is expelled under pressure. If this is the case then something is not allowing the pressure to be released from the caliper bore in which the piston is located. You said the brakes have less than 5K miles in 15 years, but you replaced the calipers. Was this replacement just done or done 15 years ago? A few things come to mind you can check. The rubber boot/seal around the piston on the sticking side has an issue or there is corrosion of the piston restricting its return motion. Another explanation might apply if the brake hoses are old (even though they still seem flexible). Old hoses can deterioriate internally and begin to shed rubber, but the rubber may not actually fall off inside the hose, but instead, partially disconnect inside the hose and act like a check valve restricting fluid flow in one direction, possibly the return flow direction in your case. Rubber brake hoses are cheap, replace them if they are old. One other thing, what about lubrication on the areas where the ears of the pads rub on the caliper brackets or is it possible the anti-squeek pad on the back of the pad is stuck on the piston or on the other side of the caliper for the outboard pad? Grabbing at straws here, just some random thoughts.

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 17, 09:54 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Garage

When you stated that one of the front wheels drag and does not spin as freely as the other (while on jack stands - after applying your brakes and releasing)... are you still able to spin the wheel that drags, but it just has some more resistance then the other wheel? Or does it feel like the front brake pads are still applied on one side, and it is very hard to turn the wheel?
Sometimes there will be a slight drag on your front wheels after applying the front disc brakes (while on jack stands) since there are no return springs like your rear drum brakes.

When you are driving and brake (now that your have installed new calipers and pads), does your car pull to one side?

Maybe you can try this... drive your car normally, and when pulling back into your driveway - garage - work area, go very slowly and try to stop the car using the emergency brake. Once your car has stopped, put into park (or into gear with manual) and jack up the front end and spin both tires. If both tires spin with about the same resistance, your front brakes should be working normally.

If one wheel feels a lot tighter then the other, wait 5-10 minutes and go back and spin the wheel that felt tight. If it now spins a little easier, you may have a restriction somewhere in your brake line on that side. If the wheel still feels just as tight, it sounds like more of a blockage... or one of your front brake lines acting as a one way valve - that was also mentioned in an earlier post (great call out!)

I think your uneven pad wear with your previous calipers was due to some of the items mentioned in earlier posts (dry/rusted slide pins, no lube on caliper sliding surfaces, stuck caliper piston, etc). You probably fixed that with your new calipers and proper installation.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 17, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

Great comments guys. I will take your suggestions. The calipers, pads and hardware were all replaced last Sunday. The issue with dragging on the left is the same with the new parts. The inside old pad was 95% worn while the outer was like new as was the pads on the right side. The brakes worked fine and the reason all this came to pass was the dragging feeling coming from the right wheel. It is like maybe the a disc brake bracket is out of spec! I will replace the hose and let you know what happens. As you can tell, I don't dive this car much. It was our second car and logged a lot of miles back in the early years when I bought the vert in 1978 and not so many the last 30 years after I painted it!!!!! The AC doesn't work either!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode