Rear end longer on one side than the other? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 17, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

Rear end longer on one side than the other?

My passenger side seems to be longer by .625". The inner most portion of my wheel well to the edge of the wheel is 12.5" on one side and 13.125" on the passenger. I just bought some new wheels and I got a backspacing that would push them out (I knew beforehand), as I plan on buying a narrowed 9" rear end.

My question is should I get it narrowed from stock f-body dimensions and take into account this odd extra bit of length or get even tubes on both sides?

1968 Arctic White Camaro 400 SBC M4
LS1 Brakes/IROC Box/Speedtech UCAs/Hotchkis Springs and Bilistein Shocks
Coming Soon: T56
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 17, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Rear end longer on one side than the other?

My thoughts are since buying another rear axle assembly, measure the various points of the body to the springs.
Quarter panels can be anywhere, but where is the springs to the inner wheelwell, and other points of the body?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 17, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

From the leaf spring, they're both about 1.75" away from the inner wheel well.

So it's not typical to have this issue?

1968 Arctic White Camaro 400 SBC M4
LS1 Brakes/IROC Box/Speedtech UCAs/Hotchkis Springs and Bilistein Shocks
Coming Soon: T56

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 17, 12:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Patrick

My driver side was 0.3125" longer than the passenger side. The measurements were taken from the center of the car to the outside edge of the quarter panel wheel house lip.

I think your measurements are typical of a car built in the 1960s.

I cut my axle to compensate for the different lengths. The edge of my tires are the same distance from the outside wheelhouse lips. I have unequal axle tube lengths. I did this for purely cosmetic reasons.

Patrick
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 17, 01:03 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

These cars were fairly close from the factory. Workers in the 60s and 70's took a little pride in their work. Having to cut an axle tube and shorten an axle on one side isn't a common thing! After 45 years or so lots happens to a cars overall structure and who knows what repairs were done and how well it was performed.

Measure your car as Everett suggests and find out exactly where the quarters, frame rails, springs are off and look for a solution before sticking a new rear end under the car. Also measure your existing axle housing and perches, it's very possible there has been work done (mono to multi perches for example) that is causing the housing to not mount centered...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode