Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

1Likes
  • 1 Post By dukhnt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 17, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

Something is wrong with these cables..

With my rear disc brake kit for my 68 Camaro (staggered shocks) came the cables for the E-brake. I was supposed to get 1 intermediate cable and one cable that attaches to each caliper. This is what I got: (see photo)

One cable is a lot longer than the other and looks a lot like a front cable that attaches to the e-brake pedal.. Look at the close-up pic of the long cable. Did they send me the wrong cables?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4478.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	187385   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4479.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	187386   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4480.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	187394  

Tony
Follow my current Camaro project builds...
1967 Coupe (Sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1968 Convertible

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 17, 05:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS
Re: Something is wrong with these cables..

The bottom end of the front cable has a threaded end for the slack adjustment. If you don't have that I would guess you have two rears but It seems they should be the same length. I have no experience with disc conversions.

Jeff
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 17, 07:17 AM
John

Garage

Did the brake kit come from CPP?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 17, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

No, Auto City Classic...

Tony
1967 Coupe (Sold)

1968 Convertible

1969 Convertible
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 17, 03:55 AM
Tech Team
Dennis

I am almost done with my brakes, and CPP provided cables, however I had to order custom cables. The one they sent me for the passenger side was just too short to make work, no matter how hard I tried. I too have a 68 with staggered shocks.

After looking at your pictures, my only guess is that the long cable is intended to replace a portion (or all?) of the front cable??? But like the post above said, it would need a threaded end for adjustment and doesn't appear to have that.

I called CPP about the measurements of the cables I should be using and they provided the following information

40 1/4" total length cable
31" casing (drivers side)

31 1/4" total length cable
22" casing (passenger side)

So my supplied cables are close to the same and tie in to the front, already existing parking brake cables.

Like I said.... Unless there is some magical secret, the passenger side is too short. The driver side is also plenty long. I ordered new cables and added 4 inches to the passenger side. Finally getting the project wrapped up.

That short cable with the casing looks like it might be the drivers side that hooks to the caliper, but I'm at a loss in the long one. And I'd say you are missing the other side that hooks to the caliper (depending on the length of the short one with the casing... I can't tell which side it would be.)

Hope you can get this figured out. Good luck.
bondora68 likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 17, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukhnt View Post
I am almost done with my brakes, and CPP provided cables, however I had to order custom cables. The one they sent me for the passenger side was just too short to make work, no matter how hard I tried. I too have a 68 with staggered shocks.

After looking at your pictures, my only guess is that the long cable is intended to replace a portion (or all?) of the front cable??? But like the post above said, it would need a threaded end for adjustment and doesn't appear to have that.

I called CPP about the measurements of the cables I should be using and they provided the following information

40 1/4" total length cable
31" casing (drivers side)

31 1/4" total length cable
22" casing (passenger side)

So my supplied cables are close to the same and tie in to the front, already existing parking brake cables.

Like I said.... Unless there is some magical secret, the passenger side is too short. The driver side is also plenty long. I ordered new cables and added 4 inches to the passenger side. Finally getting the project wrapped up.

That short cable with the casing looks like it might be the drivers side that hooks to the caliper, but I'm at a loss in the long one. And I'd say you are missing the other side that hooks to the caliper (depending on the length of the short one with the casing... I can't tell which side it would be.)

Hope you can get this figured out. Good luck.

Good info. I guess these cables I got are useless...But I will measure to see if either fits those measurements you provided...

Tony
1967 Coupe (Sold)

1968 Convertible

1969 Convertible
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 17, 11:53 AM
Tech Team
Dennis

The shorter cable with casing loos like it would work on one of the sides just depending on length. Remember to add 4 inches to the passenger side measurements I provided above, unless there was something unique with my car.

If you need a contact for customer cables, let me know. That was the biggest challenge. I think 2 companies emailed me back out of about 12.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode