Crooked stance - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 17, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

Garage
Crooked stance

Switched mono springs to 5-leaf (off Craigslist) and fabricated some spacers to make up spring perch difference. Drove +/- 700 miles hoping car would settle or something! Passenger rear side is 3/4" higher at fender opening than driver side. I'm usually the only one that can see it. Original front springs. Driver front slightly lower. Mine is a low horsepower cruiser that won't break traction. Can I just insert a lowering block on passenger side to square this thing up?

68 Camaro Convertible Turbo Thrift 250 Powerglide
63 Pontiac Catalina 389 Roto Hydromatic
84 Chrysler Lebaron Convertible

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 17, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Crooked stance

Yes, you can, or, if time on your hands, swap springs per side and see if problem follows.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 17, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

Garage

Thanks for checking in. Putting this thing back together was a tough task and it is hard to go backwards at times! I was hoping somebody would bless my idea of tricking it back level. I don't think I can switch the leaf springs in the current Virginia weather in a hot shop! Too fat and old! I'm also cheap, so getting some shop to re-arch the springs isn't a plan, either. Don't know how thick a lowering block I need for it to show up at the fender opening as 3/4". I guess you experiment and then find out the problem was a tired drivers side coil!

Scott

May ROTM winner to boot! Cool.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 17, 09:06 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Garage

Make sure you drop the car on the ground prior to tightening up the leaf spring mounting points. There have been a few prior threads where this corrected uneven rear ends.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 17, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

Garage

Thanks Mike - I was up to speed about that.

I tried to "pull" it down by loosening the shackle bolts, loading the trunk with a tractor weight on that side and retightening. I'm not insane about curing this, but it is not going away with time!

Scott

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 17, 10:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

First thing I'd do is loosen the mounting bolts, bounce it up and down, push it up and down the driveway, bounce it up and down, tighten everything back down and see if it settles.

When I had leaf springs, this didn't help, so I ended up with different height loweing blocks on each side to make it even.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 17, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

Garage

Then it's settled (I did plenty of the bouncing and wishing)! I'll put a some variety of lowering block in on the high side and take some new readings. Sounds like this is not uncommon. Thanks everyone.

Scott

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 17, 11:20 AM
Team Member
Don

What is the condition of your subframe bushings? Are they all the same thickness in their current state?

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 17, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRibbon View Post
Then it's settled (I did plenty of the bouncing and wishing)! I'll put a some variety of lowering block in on the high side and take some new readings. Sounds like this is not uncommon. Thanks everyone. Scott
Thank you, Another action I did was put three 1 inch spacers between the front spring eye mount and unibody with longer bolts - on the lower side.
The only problem with this action is one can see the front half of the spring. Bit mine was a qtr miler and who really cared ...
The front half of spring locates the axle, the rear takes the weight.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 17, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

Garage

Yo Don,

I repaired the subframe holes and replaced all the bushings with original style rubber/plastic. You are right to consider this a problem because my lower rear passenger bushing split a bit after the final tightening! Naturally I was pissed, but it wasn't completely wasted or weird. I will change it out, but I don't think it is provoking all of the twist. I hate that I will need to buy the whole kit just to get the 1/2 bushing. Rick's (if you are listening!), you should send me a new one...

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 17, 04:42 PM
Team Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRibbon View Post
Yo Don,

I repaired the subframe holes and replaced all the bushings with original style rubber/plastic. You are right to consider this a problem because my lower rear passenger bushing split a bit after the final tightening! Naturally I was pissed, but it wasn't completely wasted or weird. I will change it out, but I don't think it is provoking all of the twist. I hate that I will need to buy the whole kit just to get the 1/2 bushing. Rick's (if you are listening!), you should send me a new one...
Different heights on the bushings can cause the car to lean....

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 17, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

Garage

I hear yah! I might need to drink some more!

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 17, 09:34 AM
Senior Tech
Al

I've traced uneven rear height to an uneven front end. Put a floor jack under the frame (not under the control arm) driver's side front and jack it up until the front sits level, then recheck the rear.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 17, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post
I've traced uneven rear height to an uneven front end. Put a floor jack under the frame (not under the control arm) driver's side front and jack it up until the front sits level, then recheck the rear.
I can do that. I've simply lifted that low front end and can see that diagonal relationship to the rear. +100 degrees in Virginia, so I'm enjoying working on just the theories for the next several days! Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode