Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

1Likes
  • 1 Post By ctcz28

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 17, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

Another bleeding rear brakes issue

OK, I read lots of posts and I see conflicting information. I added front and rear discs. Fronts done 1 year ago, rears done a few days ago. I cannot get any fluid at all to come out of the rear. Was I supposed to change out the proportioning valve to a disc/disc valve?
I unscrewed the little brake light sensor so I could see the valve rod moving and when my wife presses the brake pedal, the valve flips to the rear rather forcefully. I slide it back with a tiny pick tool but it will not stay.
I have read that this valve shuts off the flow and I need a prop valve tool to screw in.
I also read that this valve does NOT close off the flow and that is is simply a switch for the brake light.
I also read that the master cylinder rod length is to blame.
Which of these is true??

Tony
Follow my current Camaro project builds...
1967 Coupe (Sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1968 Convertible

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 17, 03:47 PM
Senior Tech
Rick

Re: Another bleeding rear brakes issue

Center the valve and try gravity bleeding it.

69 COPO clone, 461" BBC 11.25:1 Compression
840 Rec Heads (2.25/1.88) AED 850 HO carb
Orig Exhaust Manifolds
Straub (Clay Smith) cam, 288/300 .600/.569 109.
TH400, 3500 stall, 4.11 12 bolt posi
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 17, 07:29 PM
Premium Member
Gordon

Yes, you'd be wise to change to an all-in-one disc/disc proportioning valve.

67 Plain Jane being assembled with 427, 4 spd Muncie, 12 bolt rear with Mosers, 4 wheel discs

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 17, 07:51 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

At the risk of suggesting you check a couple of things you've already done, is the bleeder valve oriented at the top of the rear calipers? If not, they won't bleed. Did you replace the flexible hose connecting the hard lines connected to the car body to the lines on the diff? If old, the rubber line can deteriorate on the inside blocking fluid flow and even acting like a check valve causing problems when bleeding. A new combination valve is a good idea to replace the old distribution block/metering valve/proportioning valve. (not sure you had all these if originally all drums).
dhutton likes this.

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 17, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcz28 View Post
At the risk of suggesting you check a couple of things you've already done, is the bleeder valve oriented at the top of the rear calipers? If not, they won't bleed. Did you replace the flexible hose connecting the hard lines connected to the car body to the lines on the diff? If old, the rubber line can deteriorate on the inside blocking fluid flow and even acting like a check valve causing problems when bleeding. A new combination valve is a good idea to replace the old distribution block/metering valve/proportioning valve. (not sure you had all these if originally all drums).
The valve on the calipers (all) are oriented at the top. All the lines and hoses are new. My combination valve and MC are for disc/drum set up.
I have ruled out the rod length into the MC because when I changed out the rear brake lines, all of the fluid leaked out of the rear section of the MC.
I tried to gravity bleed but nothing happened.

Tony
1967 Coupe (Sold)

1968 Convertible

1969 Convertible
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 17, 03:25 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

Orig disc/drum prop valve won't work with discs/discs.

Mark 70 Z28 M22 3.73 Z21 Z87 - Lunati 20120121 Roller Cam

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 17, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by COPO View Post
Orig disc/drum prop valve won't work with discs/discs.
OK. How are they different?

Tony
1967 Coupe (Sold)

1968 Convertible

1969 Convertible
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 17, 08:25 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Yes, you should use a disc/disc combination valve. The disc/drum combination valve has a metering valve for rear drums and with the rear discs you don't need the rear metering. Also, you stated you are using a disc/drum MC. The disc/drum MC normally has a residual pressure valve in the outlet port for the rear drums whereas a MC for disc/disc will not have the residual pressure valve. I'm not sure that either of these two changes will fix the problem with inability to bleed the rear discs, but may help avoid other braking issues. Are you sure you bled the MC properly? If you have a big air bubble in there you won't be able to bleed the brakes properly. The old school way is ok, but I prefer to use the Motive power bleeder. It doesn't cost a lot and makes it a one man procedure.

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 17, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcz28 View Post
Yes, you should use a disc/disc combination valve. The disc/drum combination valve has a metering valve for rear drums and with the rear discs you don't need the rear metering. Also, you stated you are using a disc/drum MC. The disc/drum MC normally has a residual pressure valve in the outlet port for the rear drums whereas a MC for disc/disc will not have the residual pressure valve. I'm not sure that either of these two changes will fix the problem with inability to bleed the rear discs, but may help avoid other braking issues. Are you sure you bled the MC properly? If you have a big air bubble in there you won't be able to bleed the brakes properly. The old school way is ok, but I prefer to use the Motive power bleeder. It doesn't cost a lot and makes it a one man procedure.
All brakes were working fine when I changed over to rear discs so I assume the MC is bled properly. I replaced the rear hard lines, added the disc brakes and now no fluid going to rear. I can manually slide the valve with a pick tool but as soon as the pedal is pushed it moves to the rear..I guess I will replace the combination valve and bleed with the little screw-in tool.

Tony
1967 Coupe (Sold)

1968 Convertible

1969 Convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.camaros.net/forums/16-brakes-suspension-steering/435865-another-bleeding-rear-brakes-issue.html
Posted By For Type Date
Another bleeding rear brakes issue - Team Camaro Tech This thread Refback Jul 29th, 17 04:43 PM