Hydroboost - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 17, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Hydroboost

...avoiding a thread hijack. I was pondering installing an aftermarket hydroboost system. I didnt realize there was a factory system until reading the other post in this section. Does anyone run a GM setup? How many diffent ones are there? Is one better suited than the others?
Thanks

67RSSS......owned since 69. A basket case for most of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 17, 06:29 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: Hydroboost

Back when I did mine about 10 years ago, the challenge with adapting one from a GM vehicle was the firewall mounting plate. Don't know if that has changed or not. I sucked it up and bought an all new system from Hydratech. Top quality stuff, pretty simple install and excellent support. Hydroboost is the chit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 17, 10:01 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

I've got a Hydroboost setup in my '68. Awesome braking, to the point you warn passengers as you pull out for a ride.

Mike - '68 Camaro with lots of stuff done to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 17, 02:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

I am definitely on the Hydro Bandwagon, so I will be following this intently. This is what I have tentatively picked to get, but if a GM unit is an option, I'm all ears.

Brett.....

1969 SS 396 X66 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue

Last edited by Brettallen59; Aug 2nd, 17 at 02:37 AM. Reason: typo
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 17, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Without taking enough time to understand this setup as thoroughly as i would like i am getting the impression that all the units i have seen on line are Bendix regardless of who is marketing them. You are paying for the unit, the mounting setup ( these vary widely in fit and finish), and appearance mods. I redid the entire hydraulic bucket control setup on my John Deere for less than the hose setups are listed for so you might want to find your local outlet for this stuff and compare costs. I didnt check napa or advance yet to see if these things are on their shelf.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 17, 05:35 AM
Apprentice
Charlie

I put a system in my 69 Camaro, was pretty easy and the whole conversion cost under 250$ including having hoses made. I used the system out of a 92 astrovan, if I remember correctly it was almost a straight bolt in. Check my post on the master cylinder sizing for some specifics.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 17, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

How did the rod connection work out? I see that some of the race car applications stand the setup off the firewall for what looks to be th e ability to adjust the rod under the hood.
Kilr67 likes this.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 17, 07:05 AM
Apprentice
Charlie

It bolts right to the firewall, I may of had to redrill mount holes in the bracket. I used the all aluminum master from the astrovan. Btw if memory serves correct a reman hydroboost unit was 160$. It's robbery what they charge for a kit
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 17, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Its getting a little murkier. It appears that GM used at least 5 different versions of this gadget. They vary by hydraulic connection thread. 1 is standard, 4 are metric. Internal piston bore. 2 are 3/4, 2 are 21/32, 1 is undefined. There are 3gold, 1 blue, and 1 silver accumulators. 1 is described as having the ports inverted so i am guessing this one puts the accumulator over towards the fender but i dont know that for sure. The inverted one has standard threads. I havent found any reference defining which was used where.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 17, 04:06 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcrsr View Post
I put a system in my 69 Camaro, was pretty easy and the whole conversion cost under 250$ including having hoses made. I used the system out of a 92 astrovan, if I remember correctly it was almost a straight bolt in. Check my post on the master cylinder sizing for some specifics.
How long have you used this set up and how has it worked for you? If a GM unit will work, it would be great to find someone with the how to's and all particulars. I agree that $800 is more than double what it should cost for the product I see, so if a unit from a GM AstroVan will work via either bolt up, or what is needed for a successful install, it seems more appealing.

Brett.....

1969 SS 396 X66 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 17, 09:44 PM
Senior Tech
Tom Anderson

Garage

Hey guys I am all about doing the swap and don't wanna get raped for $800 bucks , Can anyone come up with a parts list that will work . Thanx in advance guys
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 17, 10:08 PM
John

Garage

Why do you want hydraboost over a vacuum booster?
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 17, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

I think you do this because of a lack of vacumn or space though you can make up vacumn other ways if you want. I had been under the impression that this was a odd modification to make and am surprised to see how common it is though it seems its mostly used on heavier equipment than our cars. Depending on your setup this could be the simplest solution.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 17, 02:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lyle

I have hydroboost and love it. One of the best mods I did. Bought a kit from hydrotec worked perfect no fooling around bolted in bleed it out and haven't touched it since.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 17, 04:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by akwolf View Post
I have hydroboost and love it. One of the best mods I did. Bought a kit from hydrotec worked perfect no fooling around bolted in bleed it out and haven't touched it since.
Do you have a part number or model? I googled Hydrotec without much luck....
Thanks,
Brett......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode