Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 17, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

Unhappy missing springs

Hi,
Has anyone bought the spring kit or hardware kit for a 67 vert with rear drum brakes and found it was missing springs.I bought a kit from Right Stuff and found the springs that hold the shoe to the back plate missing for one side and the long spring for the adjuster lever for both sides missing as well. No big deal,I figured they just missed it and went to my local automotive place (APC) in town and got another hardware kit. When I got back in my shop and opened the kit, guess what, the springs for the shoes were there but the long springs weren't there either. Now that I think about it, the little springs that go on the one end of the long flat bar that has the fork shape at each end, wasn't in either kit as well. You would think a kit to replace the springs when doing a brake job would have ALL the springs in the kitNo wonder is takes so long to restore a car, you're always missing something.
Which brings me to the next question, which is, does any parts place sell the springs I am missing separately or do I keep buying kits hoping they are complete.
Thanks for letting me vent and hopefully somebody knows where I can get the missing springs.

Steve

67 Camaro RS350SS (already restored) 68Convertible(future project)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68 Coupe(restoring)On hold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gave to friend.

67 Convertible (restoring)

67 Coupe(parts car for now)

72 Chevelle Malibu

2-69 Jaguar xke roadsters (appeasing the wife)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 17, 03:27 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
steve

Re: missing springs

Call Right Stuff their customer service is outstanding.
69-Pace likes this.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 17, 03:44 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampstoyz View Post
Call Right Stuff their customer service is outstanding.
x2 - Another reason why I open everything when it is delivered and check it against the packing list - make sure it is the right item - and against the as advertised contents. If its not call the vendor rights away.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 17, 08:14 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

You can also buy a small parts drum brake rebuild kit (springs, pins, and clips) in a kit at NAPA.

Your problem sounds like either parts fell out of the package in transit or never made it into the box due to a bad bounce, or the sun being in the eyes of the packing robot/illegal alien. Doubt it they were trying to short change you.

Big Dave
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 17, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

No, I didn't think they short changed me. I just thought it was odd the kits would be different and both incomplete.
Went back to local supplier and he did some digging and thinks there is a pro kit which has more springs and includes levers for parking brake components.
Will find out tomorrow.

Steve

Gave to friend.

72 Chevelle Malibu

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 17, 09:14 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Steve, Dorman HW7104 has all the springs except the
strut spring. You can get it at most parts stores or order
it from Rock Auto for less than $4.00. The kit covers
both sides. My kit came complete. No missing parts.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 17, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

Hi Al,
Which one is the Strut spring?

Steve

Gave to friend.

72 Chevelle Malibu

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 17, 04:19 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewebb1 View Post
Hi Al,
Which one is the Strut spring?

Steve

The oblong spring that fits on the flat spreader bar (strut).

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 17, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

That's what I thought. Which brings up another question, does the strut end with the spring go to the front shoe or rear shoe? I'm thinking it goes to the front shoe because of the shape of the strut.

Steve

Gave to friend.

72 Chevelle Malibu

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 17, 09:20 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewebb1 View Post
That's what I thought. Which brings up another question, does the strut end with the spring go to the front shoe or rear shoe? I'm thinking it goes to the front shoe because of the shape of the strut.

Steve

Steve, The front (short) shoe is correct.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 17, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

Finally found the missing spring!
It's not in the Dorman 7104 but in the Dorman 2533.
It's the blue spring that sits at an angle between the 3 Oclock and 5 Oclock position or 9 and 7 position depending on which side your looking at.
Why its not included with the hardware kit is beyond me. Sure held up my project big time, not to mention my hoist.
Thanks guys for all your help and I hope anybody doing a rear brake job reads this.

Steve

Gave to friend.

72 Chevelle Malibu

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 17, 02:48 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Steve, I think you got the numbers backwards. HW7104
has the springs. HW2533 has the self adjuster spring for
one side. Either that or the Dorman web site is wrong.
The HW7104 kit I got had the blue springs included.
Brake Hardware Kit - Drum | Drum Brake Hardware Kit | HW7104 | Dorman Products

Brake Self Adjuster Repair Kit | Drum Brake Self Adjuster Repair Kit | HW2533 | Dorman Products

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 17, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

I didn't get anything wrong.
I took your advice and ordered the HW7104 and it did not contain the spring in question. Same springs as a Delco kit and Right Stuff.
It was later that I went on Dorman's web site and was scrolling thru their list of packages that I found the spring I was talking about, which is the one in the photo for HW2533. The blue spring for the adjuster is the one spring that three kits I bought did not have including the HW7104. There is another blue spring that is included in your kit and the others but that's for up at the top of brake assembly and is shaped different.
I even took the old spring to three different auto parts companies and they all confirmed that spring is not in the hardware kit.

Steve

Gave to friend.

72 Chevelle Malibu

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 17, 05:55 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Steve, Apparently I'm not understanding your description of the missing spring. Are you talking about the spring that goes under the self adjuster LEVER ? If yes than you are correct that spring is only available in the adjuster kit.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 17, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

Al, go to the dorman site and in kit 2533 contents picture, the third item from the left. That/s the blue spring I'm talking about.
Now go to kit 7104 contents picture. You will not find the same spring in that kit. Also google 67 Camaro rear drum assembly, scroll down, third one should say "images of 67 Camaro rear brake assembly". Click to inlarge and you should be at heartbeat city site. the spring in question is the blue spring at the 9 oclock to 7 oclock or the 3 oclock to 5 oclock position depending on left side or right side picture.
Also note that there are seven springs per drum assembly not counting the strut spring. kit 7104 only shows 10 springs for both sides. How does that work!!

Steve

Gave to friend.

72 Chevelle Malibu

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode