Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

1Likes
  • 1 Post By davidpozzi

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 17, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Frank

front drum brake push pins at an angle

I replaced only the wheel cylinders and brake hoses on a 68 Camaro with 4 wheel drums as they were leaking and had a bad pull when pushing the brakes moderately (pull seemed to be from a collapsed hose). After replacement, the car stops great except with a panic stop it will lock the rear up early. I looked closer and found the front wheel cylinder pins are pushing up at an angle, but I decided to first try a new set of shoes all around and cut the drums first. One rear drum was slightly out of round (thought that might solve the problem), but the new shoes still had the front pins at an angle and it still locked up the rear brakes prematurely. I next tried ACdelco wheel cylinders in the front, the first replacements were Dorman, but they have the pins at the same angle. I put the original leaking wheel cylinder back in as I wasn't paying attention to the angle of the pins when I disassembled it, but it also looked the same. The picture is of that wheel cylinder with the springs off for clarity. Is this angle normal? the rear are straight. Do 4 wheel drums tend to lock the rear brakes? Everything is what seems original and correct and the primary and secondary shoes are correct on the front and rear. The master was bench bled while level and everything else bled completely with a firm pedal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P8110012.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	189945  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 17, 05:25 PM
David Pozzi

Re: front drum brake push pins at an angle

The pins are OK like that. Everything straightens out when you push on the brake pedal. The shoes move apart.
The amount of friction the brakes generate depends on how well the shoes match the drum curvature. When the drum is turned, the shoes should be Arced to match that larger radius. It doesn't seem to get done anymore.
1968RallySport likes this.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 17, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Frank

Re: front drum brake push pins at an angle

Thank you for the reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode