2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kamcoman
  • 1 Post By davidpozzi

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 17, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Louis

10 bolt 8.5 question

I have a 69 camaro with an 8.2 currently in it. I bought an 10 bolt 8.5 non posi off a 72 nova with the correct length, then i found someone selling an 10 bolt 8.5 posi with 4.11 gear out of a 69 camaro but its out of a 2nd gen camaro, they re-welded the perch to make it work. I was wondering if i could just use that posi unit and change the axels to make it work into the correct length housing unit. I'm not sure what wheels im going with but i have some 17x7 torque and dont know how it will look with the 2nd gen rear end.
i had some experience with my other first gen 67 camaro, i bought something similar 10 years ago, a 2nd gen rearend, perches were welded for first gen but wasn't welded correctly. I decided to got rid of it it messed up my quarter a little cause my tires at the time were 245/55/17 a little wide.
I havent tried the posi rear yet to see if i'll have clearance issues so i was curious if i had to will it be possible to just get new axels for the posi unit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 17, 04:07 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: 10 bolt 8.5 question

You can swap the posi unit and retain your old axles if they are 28 spline and not the 30 spline available in much newer cars (the second gen still used 28 splne axles if they are still original), but people often bought a newer 30 spline axle posi unit when upgrading an open rear end. So you will have to look first.

The second gen Camaro axle is an inch too wide to fit under a first gen Camaro, but it can be used if you buy custom made wheels to change the standard centered offset. The 4.11 gear uses a three series carrier so if the Nova rear end hasa 2.73 or any three series gear it will interchange with the 4.11 posi differential. Of it has a 2.56 gear or less it will be a two series carrier which will not interchange.

Big Dave
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 17, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Louis

Big Dave,
Sounds great much appreciated. one more question if it is both a 28 spline will the axels have the same length from the 2nd gen camaro and the 72 nova rear since the difference is an inch overall and 1/2" both sides?
thanks again for replying so soon
louis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larger Dave View Post
You can swap the posi unit and retain your old axles if they are 28 spline and not the 30 spline available in much newer cars (the second gen still used 28 splne axles if they are still original), but people often bought a newer 30 spline axle posi unit when upgrading an open rear end. So you will have to look first.

The second gen Camaro axle is an inch too wide to fit under a first gen Camaro, but it can be used if you buy custom made wheels to change the standard centered offset. The 4.11 gear uses a three series carrier so if the Nova rear end hasa 2.73 or any three series gear it will interchange with the 4.11 posi differential. Of it has a 2.56 gear or less it will be a two series carrier which will not interchange.

Big Dave

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 17, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Louis

Cool Re: 10 bolt 8.5 question

Never mind i over think about the axel if it is 28 spline then i can use the axel from the non posi into the posi.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 17, 08:43 PM
Senior Tech
Al

The axles in your 8.2 are also 28 spline and will work in the 72 Nova 8.5. This will give you 4 axles to choose from, provided the posi unit is also 28 spline. There is a better than good chance that any of those axles could be shot since the axle bearings ride directly on the axle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 18, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Louis

Bringing this up again before i Start...
was wondering when i pull the posi unit from the 2nd gen and put into the 8.5 nova rear will i need to shim or can i just slap it in and call it a day because i'm not inclined on the backlash shimming.

thanks
louis
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 18, 04:23 PM
Senior Tech
Keith

No correct backlash shimming, no rear end for very long. You might get lucky with the shims that are already there, but I would not bet my "rear end" on it. At least check the backlash and the tooth pattern. If it ain't right, fix it.
57vette likes this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 18, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Louis

Probably going to try it and then check it & if it doesn't look good i'll put it back in the 2nd gen
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 18, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

You will have to set carrier bearing preload by adding 0.010" shim(s)(0.005" to each side) after setting backlash.
Backlash is set, and preload, because the machining paths of every item is different, ie, set-up in the machine.
Not all hogshead, carrier, and gears are equally made.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 18, 08:53 PM
David Pozzi

Take it to someone who has the shim kit to do it right, it's worth the money and won't take much to do. GM set up the OEM rears with one cast iron shim per side. If it's been redone, it'll have multiple shims on each side. If you buy an aftermarket posi unit, it comes with different bearings that require less shims, then they supply a thin shim kit with the posi unit to set the preload and backlash. GM's way of replacing/re-shimming a posi unit was to install "service" spacers behind factory bearings. The service spacers are metal rings ground flat on the sides to take up some of the room, then you use thin shims to set clearances.

NEVER USE 5/8" HEADED RING GEAR BOLTS, THEY WILL UNSCREW!
Factory bolts are 11/16" wrench size and have a larger underhead seating surface. Smaller headed bolts embed into the softer cast carrier and come loose. second_gen_rear_axle

& they are left hand thread.
57vette likes this.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode