Jerking steering wheel - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 17, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rich

Jerking steering wheel

Hello I just recently got my camaro running.

It had a powersteering pump but was empty and not hooked up.

So i hooked it up and filled it jacked the front of the car up and turned it lock to lock.

Refilled and turned the car and on and repeated a few times.

When i drive the car the steering wheel jerks nearly out of your hand.

The jerking has 5 positions.

Straight, half turn left and right, and full turn left and right. It doesn't want anything in between.

I have tried a few times to bleed it but nothing seems to work. Got i have an air leak? How would i know if i have a kink in the system. Could it be a bad nuckle ?

Thanks for all your help guys.

1969 Project underway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 17, 08:49 AM
Team Member
Darin

Re: Jerking steering wheel

Sounds dangerous. Is the rest of the front end rebuilt and or in good shape ?

Your pump or steering gear may be screwed up,that why it was disconnected.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70 US Gear Lightning r&p
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 17, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rich

The front end looks all original nothing looks out of the ordinary. While the car was jacked up i checked for play in all directions on the wheels and nothing was out of the originally. When i bought the car none of the acc. Belt was on. So i just hooked everything up.

Sorry if i lack information this forum has helped me out tremendously. But maybe i should clarify something. The steering wheel does not randomly jerk. When you are driving straight it is fine, when you try to turn in any direction it snaps to half turn position and if you need to turn more it will snap or jerk to full turn.

Could it be air or a kink?

1969 Project underway

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 17, 06:37 AM
Team Member
Darin

It shouldn't jerk like that no matter if you're power steering pump is hooked up or not. So I would think you have other front end problems.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70 US Gear Lightning r&p
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 17, 01:07 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

Does it do it while you're sitting idle in your driveway, or just while you're driving?

I'd jack the girl up just enough to get the front wheel off the ground, then put a jack stand under each control arm so it rests nearly as it would as if on the street. (put a set of jack stands under the rear axle too is you want it level. Then start it up, and see if it still does it while sitting on the jack stands.

If it's a pump issue or gearbox issue, it should do it whether you're driving or not. If it operates smooth and only does it while you're driving, then as mentioned above, I'd start looking into your front end somewhere. I don't know what would "force" it to spring forward in the direction you're already turning though... any clunking or anything when it does it?

Sounds like a /pump/pressure issue to me though, without seeing/feeling it. Never know.

'68 Convertible, #'s Matching, 327/210HP
LeMans Blue - Deluxe Parchment Interior
Power Steering, Powerglide, 10-Bolt, 2.73:1
Norwood car, Build date 03D

'53 Ford Crestline - Hardtop
Raven Black/Sungate Ivory
239 Flathead V-8
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 17, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rich

@53Crestline thanks for the tip.
Sure enough i jacked the front end and it is the same thing, jerking. Is there anything i can do to check one small thing at a time?

1969 Project underway
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 17, 07:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Ben

Garage

most likely in your steering box itself. when you say "it wasn't hooked up" were to hydraulic line ports plugged in the box or just left open and exposed for a long period of time? was it driven much without the lines hooked up, or worse yet, with the ports open and exposed?
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 17, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rich

@bhodgdon400
When i got the car all i did to get the power steering to work was put the power steering brackets on so i could put the power steering on the acc belt. I did have to attach the lines going to the pump. I would say they were open for 2-3 months covered with some plastic. I have no idea how to check any of the other components. My inexperience with cars is really showing, sorry for the difficulties but i appreciate any advice i can get.

Any suggestions guys?

1969 Project underway
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 17, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rich

It wasn't driven much without it hooked up i guess the steering wheel was moved to steer the car in and out of a painting booth and such. But driven no..

1969 Project underway
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 17, 09:22 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Rich, Try using Sea Foam Hydra Trans Tune. Because
the gear box and pump set dry for some period of time
you may have varnish build up issues. It is also possible
the previous owner made mods incorrectly. I've had
good results with Sea Foam.
https://seafoamsales.com/sea-foam-of...steering-pump/

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 17, 08:32 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

Snedie,

Just a couple more thoughts I'd try I guess...

With the front tires in the air a little, and the car not running, spin the steering from lock to lock....do you feel anything while doing that? You're not running the pump at that point so I would think that if it feels smooth at that point, which it probably will, that would rule out anything being wrong in the steering box.

There isn't any way to get the hoses reversed so that can't be it. Do either of the hoses feel soft or squishy at all? If not, they should be fine. If they are, maybe one is weak and needs to be replaced.

Any idea what kind of fluid is in the pump? My pump(entire car actually) sat unused for 32 years and when I started it just last August and filled the pump, you could turn it with your pinky finger...still can. I did however go to a chevy dealership and spend $16 on a bottle the GM steering pump fluid; "AC Delco 10-5030". Google it. You could maybe give that stuff a try... kind of a pain, but yank a hose off of the pump, get a pan to put unerneath and turn the wheel to get as much of the current fluid out as you can and then replace it with the new stuff. I hate shot-gunning parts at things.

With the car not running and wheels off the ground, could you get someone to turn the steering wheel while you try and turn the pump pulley by hand to see you feel anything there?

I'm leaning toward something with the pump itself I guess, but that's just me.

Mark

'68 Convertible, #'s Matching, 327/210HP
LeMans Blue - Deluxe Parchment Interior
Power Steering, Powerglide, 10-Bolt, 2.73:1
Norwood car, Build date 03D

'53 Ford Crestline - Hardtop
Raven Black/Sungate Ivory
239 Flathead V-8
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 17, 12:23 PM
Senior Tech
Tom Anderson

Garage

When I had the same problem it was the pump and a steering box that was bad , I replaced both iten with CCP parts ans has ben working great
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 17, 08:11 AM
Apprentice
Bob

Garage

A few tears ago I had the same problem on a Ford Cougar. It turned out to be the high and low pressure hoses were crossed.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 17, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rich

@allanjs if i have to take the power steering off i will use some sea foam to clean up the system.

I am really trying to narrow down the problem.

@53Crestline when the front up, the steering wheel dos not jerk its smooth but difficult to turn, no jerking at all. Both hoses feel tough and hard. I used a basic power steering fluid from oreilly auto parts. If i cant narrow my problem down i will check into AC Delco 10-5030.

What would i be feeling for if i had some one turn the steering wheel trying to turn the pulley by hand?

@bobmeyer1958 i dont think it could be crossed lines. One screws right into the pump the other slides on and Is held on. By a hose clamp. How could i tell if they were crossed on the other end?

1969 Project underway
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 17, 09:53 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Rich, You don't have to remove the system to use
Sea Foam. It's just added to the fluid same as the
Delco product mentioned. I think it's well worth a try.

Al

my 67' build thread:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode