1Likes
  • 1 Post By SOA-Nova

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 17, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage
Steering SHAFT wobbly, not rotation??

I have tried so many ways to search for this but I keep getting steering box issues and rag joint or others but I have a problem with my steering wheel being loose as you grab the wheel and push on it right and left. I'm sure it was from the years of big people using it as a grab bar trying to get in and out, but how do I fix this? I may have found that it is the steering column upper bearing and that an entire assembly may be needed to fix it? Anyone know if I am going the right direction? Is my problem as common as I think it should be?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 17, 09:31 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Re: Steering SHAFT wobbly, not rotation??

What year, make, and model column is it or is it an aftermarket ?.

Is it a standard column or a tilt column ?.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 17, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage

sorry, 69 , tilt wheel. stock and likely original. I have the wooden wheel.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 17, 09:53 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttwo View Post
sorry, 69 , tilt wheel. stock and likely original. I have the wooden wheel.
It just helps with finding an answer with getting the most info.

I "think" there are some bolts down in the column that come loose and I "think" some are easily accessible while another one or two are not. I had an old tilt column that a steering column repair shop replaced an ignition tumbler in it and he also tightened some bolts and it was a LOT tighter than before but I remember him telling me not all are easily accessible unless the column it taken further apart.

Jim
yellow69RS likes this.

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 17, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage

thanks ill open her up and see if anything is loose!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 17, 08:01 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

I don't know if I've ever had one like that apart. The one's I remember have the dimmer on the turn signal lever. I think the bolts are readily accessible with the turn signal switch out of the way. I did them most often by unplugging the harmonica connector and pushing the wires up the column some but not pulling it completely out. ( I hate fishing the wires thru)

Jeff
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 17, 08:48 PM
David Pozzi

I haven't worked on the older tilts, but the 70's tilts hinge on two pins that can break. It takes a special tool to extract them. Or you can make one. You need to determine if it's the shaft bearing or housing pins. If it's the housing pins, the whole upper housing will move. If it's just the steering wheel, it's the upper bearing.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 17, 03:41 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

I have a tilt, floor shift column and I had (have) the same problem. I purchased a bearing kit from Crown (Summit), and I was able to get to the upper bearing and it was shot, with the balls missing and falling out. It really needs a total rebuild, but it is definitely better than it was before I installed the bearing, but it still has a slight looseness. I couldn't get to the lower bearing without removing the column. So to do it right, I need to purchase another one using this as the core, or sending this one in to have it rebuilt.

Brett.....

1969 SS 396 X66 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 17, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage

so im a big dummy because as i got started i found that the only thing loose was the nut on the steering wheel itself! I have put up with this for so long for such a simple fix

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode