2Likes
  • 2 Post By paulvertz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 17, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

PS pressure hose adapter

Hi People,
Done a lot of searching but can't find the answer I am looking for. Need help!
I have a Edelmann hose #70230 and at the steering box end, (85 iroc box), the hose has a male fitting which I have been told is a 7/16th with a 45 degree flare.
I need an adaptor to fit it into the female brass fitting that in on the Iroc box which is a 3/8 female inverted 45 degree fitting with takes it to a O ring style connection on the box.
I've been to to truck repair shop, two auto parts stores and a local TSC store and nobody can find one let alone get one!
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
BTW is my 67 vert 327cu in
Steve

67 Camaro RS350SS (already restored) 68Convertible(future project)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68 Coupe(restoring)On hold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gave to friend.

67 Convertible (restoring)

67 Coupe(parts car for now)

72 Chevelle Malibu

2-69 Jaguar xke roadsters (appeasing the wife)

Last edited by thewebb1; Sep 3rd, 17 at 07:06 PM. Reason: missed info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 17, 08:19 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Garage
Re: PS pressure hose adapter

It sounds like you are looking on info on a 3rd Gen steering box conversion. The IROC box has metric fittings and there are a few options out there for adapting the original factory hoses to the newer gear box (pressure input thread size M18 x 1.5). I used adapters from Lee Power Steering (Santa Clarita, California) which worked well. They cost about $40 shipped within the the states. I only used the pressure side adapter.

Here is a link to a sticky that will keep you up reading for for a few hours. https://www.camaros.net/forums/16-bra...x-awesome.html

Other search terms that you can research here:

Lee Manufacturing
IROC Box
27-6550

There are quite a few threads covering the subject.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 17, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

Thanks mike for your response.
I have read the threads you referred to and was going to change the pressure hose to one off a 74 Nova but my parts supplier says it's discontinued.
So now I'm back to square one.
The adapter you used, was it at the steering box end and did it do want I'm describing to do?
Yes, I'm doing the Iroc conversion but can't understand why everybody else is not running into this problem!
Frustrating to say the least.

67 Camaro RS350SS (already restored) 68Convertible(future project)

68 Coupe(restoring)On hold
Gave to friend.

67 Convertible (restoring)

67 Coupe(parts car for now)

72 Chevelle Malibu

2-69 Jaguar xke roadsters (appeasing the wife)

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 17, 06:44 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Garage

The Lee inserts are used at the power steering box with original style hoses. I used only the insert for the pressure line (18mm) and it mated up well with no leaks. I was unable to remove the return line elbow from the old box without destroying it. I found an elbow at Advance Auto (CARQUEST Power Steering 16mm Swivel O-Ring (Type III) x 3/8" Beaded Tube Part No. 35019) that attached directly the steering box return line port.

If you order the kit from Lee, you will receive instructions, a 16mm insert, an 18mm insert, and an installation tool which is nothing more than a machined aluminum dowel. You could use a socket to the tap the inserts in if you decide to order only the single 18mm insert from Lee.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 17, 08:26 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Garage

I found this photo of the inserts installed in a steering box. You will see the small conical adapters inside the ports. The photo is part of this THREAD.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 17, 08:36 AM
Senior Tech
Paul

If you're not worried about originality and want something that fits and functions perfectly (and looks stock), you might consider using Edelman #71153 and #80194 pressure and return hoses. No inserts needed. But you'd also have to switch to a newer (post '80) pump with metric fittings. I'm running this setup now and it fits/works perfectly. Just another option.
ZZ_430 and Old Dad's 67 like this.

1969 Rally Sport
LOS car built 3rd week of November '68
427 | AGE M22W | 3.73
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 17, 11:27 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulvertz View Post
If you're not worried about originality and want something that fits and functions perfectly (and looks stock), you might consider using Edelman #71153 and #80194 pressure and return hoses. No inserts needed. But you'd also have to switch to a newer (post '80) pump with metric fittings. I'm running this setup now and it fits/works perfectly. Just another option.
Paul, you can correct me if I'm wrong, but the newer style pump will also provide the necessary 1200 psi which is matched to the steering box. The original steering pump only puts out about 900 psi. I will say my steering feel is stiffer than I expected, but I like it; I think it adds to the sport feel of the set up. Prior to the swap I was literally able to turn the wheel with my pinky.

Thanks for chipping in Paul.

Good luck Steve.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 17, 09:22 AM
David Pozzi

These work & just screw into the steering box. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...MobileSwitchNo

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 17, 04:29 PM
Probationer
George

KRC steel 16 mm and 18 mm inserts to AN-6. Direct fit, don't sacrifice thread length and won't leak. Take youbhoses to local Parker hydraulic hose house. Hydraulic world uses JIC fittings which match up to AN fittings exactly. Have the make new hoses or put JUC ends on existing hoses. Less expensive, leak proof.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode