Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mike_S

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 17, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

Brakes won't Stop

Replaced the calipers, hoses, front lines, turned the rotors, master brake cylinder and the booster. My 69 C-10 goes to a "rolling " stop. With the pressure on the pedal it will not lock up or stop on a dime. The vacuum is 15 pounds. I am stumped on what to do next. It is no better than before I replaced everything due to age. Any suggestions what to do next? Oh and replaced the synthetic fluid and bleed the lines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 17, 05:00 AM
Team Member
Don

Re: Brakes won't Stop

Did you bench bleed the master?

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 17, 05:37 AM
Senior Tech
jeff

Vacuum is a little low. Should be 17 inches or better

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 17, 07:19 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkuro View Post
Vacuum is a little low. Should be 17 inches or better
Not if the cam only produces 11" of vacuum.

Mark 70 Z28 M22 3.73 Z21 Z87 - Lunati 20120121 Roller Cam

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 17, 07:56 AM
Senior Tech
Robert

Garage

I know you said you bled the lines, but it still sounds like there is air in the system somewhere!

AKXtreme
69 Camaro L48 SS350
M20 4spd
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 17, 08:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Is the booster working properly? If you replaced the MC, is it identical in bore size and correct for disc/drum (if this is what you have) and not disc/disc?

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 17, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

I have bled the brake twice. Bench bled the MC. Replace all parts with OEM disc front, drum rear. I have owned this truck since '88. Brakes were fine until the last few years. Driven very little, so I replaced everything and it is no better. Years ago they were fine when I towed my 69 Camaro. Engine is a mild 427. If vac is low, how to increase? Add an can?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 17, 04:42 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Minimum vacuum is 13 inches, from the reading I've done.
Some owners add a tank and a pump along with it.
Max assist will happen on deceleration.
Ride along with a vacuum gauge and get some readings during driving.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 17, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

Would a 8" Right Stuff booster make a difference. I have one on my Camaro with a 468 and the brakes work great, the rest of the system is stock disc/drum. Totally different???
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 17, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

I would ensure the mechanical condition of present booster.
Does it hold a vacuum?
If supply is removed and plugged port on engine, does engine run better?
If it does run better, booster bad, leaky.
The smaller the diameter of booster, the shorter the stroke to MC.
But, 8 inch might work. Just be sure the rod extended from MC mounting surface is same as OE booster, rod screws in/out.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 17, 05:03 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Just be sure the rod extended from MC mounting surface is same as OE booster, rod screws in/out.
I like checking that MC rod!

68 Camaro Convertible Turbo Thrift 250 Powerglide
63 Pontiac Catalina 389 Roto Hydromatic
84 Chrysler Lebaron Convertible

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 17, 07:58 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael

I fail to see how a booster issue (low vacuum or not) can cause the problem of 'rolling stop' described. The booster will assist in effort, sure, but for not able to stop hard, the problem is likely elsewhere. With that said, I see you replaced the front lines. What about the rear lines and coupling hose? I have seen brake hoses collapse internally that have cause brakes to lock and/or not engage (depending how the internal collapses).
With that aside, I recently assembled the entire brake system (pipes, M/C and hoses) on my '67 w/synthetic and had a hell of a time trying to get the brake pedal firm and it would not 'lock', and believe me, I tried my usual hose in bottle method of bleeding and the hose looked clear of air. At the suggestion of a friend, I bought a pressure bleeder and I was surprised more air came out of the lines when I thought they were clear of it. It wasn't much air but enough to cause the wheels not to lock and also had a spongy pedal feel. Now, the pedal is high and firm and I can lock the brakes at will.
This is the unit I bought and I will never bleed brakes without it again :-)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
As a suggestion, don't use the supplied chains to lock the pressure plate. I used two C-clamps (see attached picture) to snug the adapter plate down and used 20PSI from the compressor. I didn't use the tank to supply fluid. I topped off the M/C after each line was bled because I didn't want to risk having any mess.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pressure_plate.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	191530  
ctcz28 likes this.

67 LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

Last edited by Mike_S; Sep 7th, 17 at 08:08 AM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 17, 03:49 PM
Team Member
Randy

I just went through the same thing with my sons 76 Camaro. Replaced all parts and you had to almost use both feet to get it to slow down. We bled the brakes, adjusted the rear shoes, nothing was helping. I checked the booster by pressing on the brake then starting the engine, the pedal would move down some like it was suppose to. I teed my vacuum gauge on the booster hose and it had 18 inches of vacuum. Shut the engine off and it held vacuum. I did research to further test the booster. Wtih the engine off one press of the pedal should drop vacuum 5 to 10, mined dropped about 15. I took the old booster and hooked it up just under the hood and worked it by hand to see what it did. It didnt have the master cylinder on it. I got my 18 inches of vacuum on it and then pushed the rod with my hand as hard as I could and it only lost 4 inches of vacuum. So I was going to install the old booster on the car and see how it did. I removed the new one and when I got it off I though I would just hook it up under the hood with no master cyl. I worked the rod a few times by hand and I think being able to move all the way without the master cyl on it changed somthing inside the booster. With my 18 inches of vacuum on it, it only went down 4 when pressed. I reinstalled the booster and we have great brakes with a light touch of pedal.

My 69 Camaro build thread:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode