Rear Brake Line Routing - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 17, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Rear Brake Line Routing

Hi, I'm in the latter stages of a drum to disc brake conversion project (4w drum to 4w disc), and an running into issues with he brake lines. Namely, while the replacement lines (from inline tube) resembled those in the car for the front, the rear lines are altogether different.

For one, the front to rear line is in two pieces, rather than one like the line I took out, and at least from inspecting them, they do not follow the same path. Anybody have a diagram for how they should fit?

I'm also wondering how to route the flex tubes in the back, as there weren't flex tubes with the drum brakes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 17, 10:08 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Re: Rear Brake Line Routing

The Factory Assembly Manual has a few good pages of how the stock lines were routed. You definitely want to pick that up if you don't already have it. Inline tube sells both the single piece front to rear and the two piece which is designed to be used with the hold off valve. Normally 4 wheel drums got the single piece front to rear. If you're running discs in the front it would be fine to run the valve.

The flex line between the body and the rear end housing always existed no matter what the stock brake configuration is. Is this the flex line you're talking about or something else? Hard lines ran the length of the rear end to the brake cylinders.

When I installed new lines from Inline tube not all of them fit great. I had to wrestle and hand bend a lot of them to route properly. Keep that in mind if you think they aren't fitting right. They'll go in, it just takes some patience.

Mike

68 Camaro (Resto in Progress)
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 17, 11:05 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Garage

Good advice on getting the Factory Assembly manual, I've practically wore mine out from use. I did find PDF versions online but nothing like having a paper version in hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyCam View Post
Normally 4 wheel drums got the single piece front to rear.
My mostly original '69 had 4 wheel manual drum brakes and has the hold off valve on the drivers side frame rail, so I have the 2 piece brake line to the rear.

My '69 RS Primer driver project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 17, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Thanks. Yep, I've got the assembly manual. Used it a ton. But this two piece is so much different. i mean, if I put them next to each other, they bend way differently.

The new disc brakes (which are in the rear too) have to be hooked up to flex hoses, I think, to connect with the "banjo" bolts.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 17, 05:57 PM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike's69stroker View Post
But this two piece is so much different. i mean, if I put them next to each other, they bend way differently.

The new disc brakes (which are in the rear too) have to be hooked up to flex hoses, I think, to connect with the "banjo" bolts.
The two piece lines are only if you have the hold off valve located on the frame rail and it sounds like your car doesn't when you said one line front to rear. So you have the wrong brake lines, Inline sells both.

It may be that you need flex hoses out at the rear calipers to accommodate the particular rear disc brake kit you have installed, that's not the way they were originally so Inline might not have the right rear differential lines to mate up. You may have to bend up you own and make something custom.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 17, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

So the two piece can only work if there's a "hold off" valve on that line? (I think the combination valve is all that I need with mine)
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 17, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Any reason I can't use the two-piece set up without a hold valve?
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 17, 10:28 PM
Team Member
Don

Quote:
Nope. You just need a union assuming the resultant line is long enough.

Don
KJProX likes this.

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 17, 05:12 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

Quote:
I purchased the two piece to replace the one piece I had. I plan to put a line lock in that spot. The pictures I 've seen of the valve that goes there looks like a junction block we sold at the parts store years ago. I'm sure you can find some thing to connect those lines with.

Jeff
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 17, 06:34 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Garage

Yes like has been said you could just join the two brake lines.

Here is a pic of the hold off valve.

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 17, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Cool. I think I can make something up for the two flex hoses in the back. I'd like to use the "clips" they came with, but I don't have mounting brackets and have no idea where they'd go anyway.

Also, I wonder if I can do without the flex line between the body and the rear end housing. A new one didn't come with the kit, so I assume I can (do without it).
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 17, 07:13 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Garage

Quote:
Also, I wonder if I can do without the flex line between the body and the rear end housing. A new one didn't come with the kit, so I assume I can (do without it).
No you need that! Allows movement of the rearend separate from the body when the suspension moves. It's a common part, I bought a new one at the local auto parts store for $16
Mike's69stroker likes this.

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 17, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Got it. Will do
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 17, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

I lack imagination, so I'll search for pics on-line for how others have routed the flex hoses from the calipers
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 17, 11:06 AM
Tech Team
Bill

The clips go in holes in the body or subframe. There were no mounting brackets except for the one where the flex hose mounts near the axle if I remember right. you can get that bracket
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode