Need to redo my brake set up....again. - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 17, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jason

Need to redo my brake set up....again.

Hello all! Haven't been on the forum for a loooong time. My camaro was hibernating, I had a lot going on. Got married, had a kid, switched jobs, it's been crazy. Now that things have settled a bit it's time to get the camaro back on the road. I got her on the road the other day, and my brakes suck!

After going 4 wheel disc I've had issues w/ poor braking/pedal feel. This is my current set up:

Baer Brakes 4 Wheel Disc Kit, Track Front/Sport Rear
Detroit Speed Master/Booster Combo
Baer Brakes Adjustible Prop Valve

I had a shop install this, it was a while ago. I think the main issue is with the plumbing of the lines.

It has what I believe to be is 2 different sized lines. The front has what appears to be the orig line, 3/16? And the rear has a new larger diameter tubing.

Front brake line goes from the master, to the stock metering block on the subframe, out to the brakes.

The rear line goes from the master, to the prop valve, to the metering block, out to the brakes.

My thoughts are to go manual w/ 15/16" or 1" bore master, take out the metering block, replumb everything w/ the same size tubing 3/16.

Thanks in advance for any advice. Hoping to order all the parts/tools I need to get it back on the road and safe and fun to drive!

My Cars:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

70 Lemans Sport 350 w/ 48k Original Miles!!! SOLD!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SOLD!!!
88 Camaro IROC-Z SOLD!!!

SOLD!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 17, 04:49 PM
Team Member
Don

Re: Need to redo my brake set up....again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay'srs/ss View Post
Hello all! Haven't been on the forum for a loooong time. My camaro was hibernating, I had a lot going on. Got married, had a kid, switched jobs, it's been crazy. Now that things have settled a bit it's time to get the camaro back on the road. I got her on the road the other day, and my brakes suck!

After going 4 wheel disc I've had issues w/ poor braking/pedal feel. This is my current set up:

Baer Brakes 4 Wheel Disc Kit, Track Front/Sport Rear
Detroit Speed Master/Booster Combo
Baer Brakes Adjustible Prop Valve

I had a shop install this, it was a while ago. I think the main issue is with the plumbing of the lines.

It has what I believe to be is 2 different sized lines. The front has what appears to be the orig line, 3/16? And the rear has a new larger diameter tubing.

Front brake line goes from the master, to the stock metering block on the subframe, out to the brakes.

The rear line goes from the master, to the prop valve, to the metering block, out to the brakes.

My thoughts are to go manual w/ 15/16" or 1" bore master, take out the metering block, replumb everything w/ the same size tubing 3/16.

Thanks in advance for any advice. Hoping to order all the parts/tools I need to get it back on the road and safe and fun to drive!
Size of tubing is irrelevant. You will likely regret going manual. It will likely get worse. Lots of stories about this on the pt forums. I would remove the metering block and try it from there.

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 17, 06:18 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

The factory lines are two different sizes on all drum or disc drum set ups. I doubt that is your trouble. Do your rear calipers have emergency brakes in them? if so IMHO that is the problem.

Jeff

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 17, 06:22 AM
Team Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow69RS View Post
The factory lines are two different sizes on all drum or disc drum set ups. I doubt that is your trouble. Do your rear calipers have emergency brakes in them? if so IMHO that is the problem.

Jeff
Pretty sure Baer brakes have internal drum e-brake and not that Mickey Mouse Cadillac/metric caliper e-brake so that should not be an issue.

OP should rebleed the entire system including a bench bleed of master before yanking parts imho.

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 17, 11:49 AM
David Pozzi

Don't go to manual brakes. The caliper piston bores in the Baer track kit are smaller than stock and require a smaller master cyl bore. 15/16" is a good size for power brakes. To do a manual system, you'd have to go to a 3/4" to 13/16" bore master cyl.

The master cyl has to fit the booster properly, there are two versions of GM master cyls, the difference is the depth of the rear pushrod hole, a shallow and deep version to match the two lengths of pushrods from booster to master cyl. The pushrods pulls out of the booster and most replacement boosters come with two pushrods so you can select the one that fits your master cyl.

If booster to MC pushrod length is too long, it may prevent proper bleeding of the system due to lack of replenishment to the MD bores. The MC pistons have to return to the rear fully in order to open the replenishment ports and allow fresh fluid to fill the bores. If your pedal is firm and high, it's probably OK. if your pedal is spongy and low, either the above pushrod is not allowing good replenishment or you still have air in the system.

We have found it's very helpful to bleed a new system, drive the car a while, then re-bleed the brakes manually. There are often a few bubbles stuck in the system and driving the car helps shock them loose and they combine to larger bubbles that can be then bled from the system.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 17, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jason

My pedal is low and spongey. And it doesn't come back up very good at all. I tried to bleed the brakes last night and it was going good until I got to the driver side front caliper. Could not get it bled, kept getting bubbles. I started poking around for leaks, and sure enough the dist block on the subframe is leaking. So I'm going to take that out, replace w/ a tee fitting, bleed it all again and see how it feels.

My Cars:

70 Lemans Sport 350 w/ 48k Original Miles!!! SOLD!!!

SOLD!!!
88 Camaro IROC-Z SOLD!!!

SOLD!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode