Proforged tall balljoints and offset control arm shafts - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 17, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Frank

Proforged tall balljoints and offset control arm shafts

So I have a 69 RS/SS 396 that drove terribly. After a little research I found out about Proforged tall ball joints, tall Tyrod ends and offset control arm shafts. Along with new upper and lower control arm bushings,new front springs and KYBís . So Iíve got it mostly together and Iím not exactly sure which direction the offsets go?..Anyone??? Iíve also noticed that the lower control arm is about 3/32Ē from the front discs??? This info was from an article from David Possi of Possi Racing on a Proforged website. Anyone else here experienced any of this or have completed this same procedure and had it to be successful.?? Also Iíve changed the 335-60/15ís in the front to 225-60/15ís Iím not planning on racing this but Iíd like it to drive nicer...

Last edited by 69CamarofC; Oct 12th, 17 at 01:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 17, 06:51 PM
Team Member
Don

Re: Proforged tall balljoints and offset control arm shafts

It looks like you have those offset shafts installed wrong. They should move the control arm mounts toward the engine which adds negative camber.

Don
dale68z likes this.

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 17, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Frank

Cool Re: Proforged tall balljoints and offset control arm shafts

Yes , I agree they do look backwards. I feel stupid for posting those picís . The way I placed them on seems like it should have sat flush against the frame mount I have experienced a lot of parts were missed matched on this car from day one and wasnít sure if I had come across another firebird part that didnít comply with camaro parts. Anyway, Iím gonna change it around today after work and see how it all aligns. Iím guessing there arenít a lot of you that have done the taller balljoints and all that. I was thinking Iíd have more responses. Or It was stupid to ask if those were on wrong and I appear to be an idiot... a question is a question and shouldnít be afraid to ask. Youíll never stop learning. Thanks

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 17, 07:09 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
It looks like you have those offset shafts installed wrong. They should move the control arm mounts toward the engine which adds negative camber.

Don
I think you have that wrong, but you can install them both ways depending on what your trying to achieve
oldschoolchevy and 69CamarofC like this.

1969 Camaro LM1
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 17, 09:21 AM
Team Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicoman View Post
I think you have that wrong, but you can install them both ways depending on what your trying to achieve
Fixing Camber Alignment problems on Chevelle, GTO's Old Cutlass, Buick GS, and other A-Bodies - YouTube
Agreed but he is trying to improve handling which means increased negative camber imho. Why would he want to add positive camber to improve handling? Installing them the way I suggested will also allow him to add enough shims to get some decent caster to improve handling.

He is not targeting factory alignment specs.

Don

1959 El Camino project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 17, 09:58 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

As has been mentioned the offset cross-shaft on the upper control arms is trying to compensate for too much positive camber from the factory. There isn't a lot of meat on that shaft (without breaking off on the first pot hole you would meet) to match the Gulstrand mod; that no one does any more, since tubular control arms bring the top ball joint in (more negative camber) with shorter shafts, while the bend at the end does the same as the taller ball joint.

I doubt if anyone driving on the street would have ever learned about this issue if not for TransAm racing.

Big Dave
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 17, 10:08 AM
Team Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larger Dave View Post
As has been mentioned the offset cross-shaft on the upper control arms is trying to compensate for too much positive camber from the factory. There isn't a lot of meat on that shaft (without breaking off on the first pot hole you would meet) to match the Gulstrand mod; that no one does any more, since tubular control arms bring the top ball joint in (more negative camber) with shorter shafts, while the bend at the end does the same as the taller ball joint.

I doubt if anyone driving on the street would have ever learned about this issue if not for TransAm racing.

Big Dave
Some of the pro-touring guys still using the Guldstrand mod.

Don

1959 El Camino project

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 17, 10:22 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Quote:
Some of the pro-touring guys still using the Guldstrand mod.

Don
I did the Guldstrand Mod & Proforged tall balljoints and tall tie rod ends plus the offset control arm shafts. Car handles great. I believe I installed my offset control arms like pictured above but this evening I can check.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/16-bra...gle-wedge.html

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:

Member # 159
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 17, 10:43 AM
Team Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew69 View Post
I did the Guldstrand Mod & Proforged tall balljoints and tall tie rod ends plus the offset control arm shafts. Car handles great. I believe I installed my offset control arms like pictured above but this evening I can check.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/16-bra...gle-wedge.html
You installed them to add positive camber? What were your alignment specs? Please post a pic. Thanks.

Don

1959 El Camino project

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 17, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Frank

I donít really have specís. I was gonna install the items I mentioned then get it as close as I could and take it to a guy I know with a shop and says he knows how to do alignments. When I told him what I was planning he gave me hell and said heíd never heard of this and told me not to mess with it. I am mechanically inclined and have done a few restorations and all that. So Imspoke to a guy today that has done these mods and told me to bring it to him. He suggested the guldstrand mod. and said it works with the tall ball joints and all. So is the guldstrand mod making a template from the website, bolting it on, drilling out the new holes, removing the template and installing the offset control arm shafts? My concern is the lower control arm is nearly rubbing the front discs on both side. Iím not sure why. Iím going out to the garage now.. I appreciate all the comments and all the suggestions.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 17, 12:25 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Do you by chance have drop spindles on that car? I question that because of the interference you mention.

It is a beautiful car by the way.

My alignment specs:

L & R
Camber -.4 -.5
Caster 4.4 4.5
Toe in 1/16"

DYI Alignment here https://www.camaros.net/forums/16-bra...alignment.html

Skunk Works
Some photos:

Member # 159
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 17, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Frank

Well after looking it over again Iím guessing I shouldnít have done the offsets. These just wonít work. Proforged says these are the right ones and they said to add negative camber - A side facing the engine, which is how I have it but thereís 3/16Ē space from the frame and they wont sit flush . B side facing the engine to add positive camber.?? Iím lost in what I should do.... should I disassemble it again put the old shaft and new bushings again. Iíll attach a photo to show you.... canít attach one to this??
?

Last edited by 69CamarofC; Oct 16th, 17 at 04:29 AM.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 17, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Frank

I donít think so. Iíve owned it for 2 yrs. Iíve done a lot of work on it. Iím not sure how to measure to see if they are drop spindles.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 17, 02:48 PM
Team Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69CamarofC View Post
Well after looking it over again Iím guessing I shouldnít have done the offsets. These just wonít work. Proforged says these are the right ones and they said to add negative camber - A side facing the engine, which is how I have it but thereís 3/16Ē space from the frame and they wont sit flush . B side facing the engine to add positive camber.?? Iím lost in what I should do.... should I disassemble it again put the old shaft and new bushings again. Iíll attach a photo to show you.... canít attach one to this??
?
Add some alignment shims. The shafts are not supposed to sit flush. Once the car is aligned the shims will take up the gap.

Don

1959 El Camino project

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 17, 05:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Quote:
Add some alignment shims. The shafts are not supposed to sit flush. Once the car is aligned the shims will take up the gap.

Don
I think your shafts are mounted correctly. What is in the way? A little grinding in order? Don is correct in that spacers may fill the gap.
Photos of mine with spacers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171012_174215.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	194065   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171012_174318.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	194073  

Skunk Works
Some photos:

Member # 159
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode