Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

1Likes
  • 1 Post By oldschoolchevy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 17, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

front spring hanger pocket nuts

Every once in a while this subject comes up but I don't ever recall with pictures. When I realized I had an original on the body I took a few comparison pics to post. The original is a stepped hex that looks like it was swedged in place post bend through the clip. It is not solid.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nuts 1.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	194234   Click image for larger version

Name:	nuts 2.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	194242   Click image for larger version

Name:	nuts 3.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	194250  

Click image for larger version

Name:	nuts 4.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	194258  

67RSSS......owned since 69. A basket case for most of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 17, 02:38 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

Garage
Re: front spring hanger pocket nuts

Good info. Nice pics. Thanks.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 17, 04:33 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

I stock NOS clips(J-Nuts) with the CIP mark in paper and plastic GM packaging, and have old ones from survivors. They do not have a hex. GM part number 378276. Check out this thread for reference: Documenting 68 Camaro Fasteners & Hardware and https://www.camaros.net/forums/133-bu...ml#post1681743

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 17, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Dunno what to say about that Scott but all of mine were like that. The other 5 I had to grind out because they all spun.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 17, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Read this forum: (only if OE bolts come out..
https://www.camaros.net/forums/16-bra...ip-nuts-3.html

I had the same experience on one Camaro I ended up removing rear seat, use an aircraft bit from the bottom for making a drill pilot hole in floor, then use a 1-inch hole saw in floor and installed a nut and washer from the top.
Seat covers up hole.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 17, 05:02 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

When did you buy your car, what is the mechanical history, and how many first gens have you torn apart for originality reference? Just questions.

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 17, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Hi Ev, this is one of those subjects we can debate till we are blue in the face. Ive owned this car since jan 69 and due to circumstances had it at hand since new. The rear setup was never out till i took it out but no doubt i am wrong.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 17, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

You're not, Steve. I've had the swaged nut loosen on its clip forcing me to repair with other than OE items repair.
I've gone as far as buying some flea market 9/16" box end wrenches and bent them with heat to the length needed reaching through the hole on frame rail holding the nut.
But, I'll be dipped in dog shet if I can find them now.

No argument here, Steve, let me get you 1/2 gal one serving size of Hagen-Daas ice cream ...
Congrats on owning her since Jan '69

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 17, 06:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael

Both of my '67's use the hex style j-nut on the rear spring mounts.

Mike

67 LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 17, 09:49 PM
Senior Tech
George

My '67 had the hex style nut as well, original to the vehicle. FWIW
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 17, 10:33 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Garage

I have owned my 74 Nova since 1978, and installed CE bolt-on sub frame connectors a few years ago. Before that, the front spring perches were never removed from the car. When I did remove them, 3 out of the 6 J-nuts broke. My J-nuts looked like the ones pictured with the hex nut (not the cone). Luckily, I was able to jam some flat blade screw drivers thru some of the holes that were in the frame to keep the nuts from turning while I removed the bolts (plus a ton of PB blaster).

After seeing were some of the original "hex" J-nuts broke, I knew that I did not want to use the J-nuts with the smooth cone shaped head. Some of my original "hex" J-nuts rusted thru the ears that hold the two halves of the J-nuts together. My fear was if these same ears would rust/weaken on the cone shaped J-nuts, and break during a future R&R of the front spring perches... there would be nothing to grab on to to keep the nut portion from turning.

When I want to purchase replacement J-nuts, all I could find were the cone shaped J-nuts.
So I went a different route and used new grade 8 bolts, nuts, and washers to reinstall the front spring perches. I also coated the bolts with anti-seize for same added insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
I've gone as far as buying some flea market 9/16" box end wrenches and bent them with heat to the length needed reaching through the hole on frame rail holding the nut.
When I did the sub frame connectors and ran into the J-nut problem, I remember reading a post on TC about "making your own wrenches to get the job done". Who knows..it could have been Everett's post I read a few years ago pointing me in this direction!

Since I was going the be using nuts and bolts to reinstall the front spring perches, I needed something to hold the nuts in place, and keep them from turning while I inserted and tightened the spring perch bolts. So I made some custom wrenches that could be inserted thru some of the holes in the frame to hold the nuts (with washers) in place while the bolts were installed. I had to use a different wrench for each one of the nut locations.

I used masking take to hold the nuts and washers to the wrenches.

Fast forward to this year. I installed some Caltracs, and removing an reinstalling the front spring perches was a breeze (I do have a special drawer in the tool box where I keep all of the "custom made" tools... since it could be a very long time before they are needed again).
I know this might be a little overkill, but I feel better knowing that I am using grade 8 hardware to hold the front spring perches in place.

Note: I believe the front spring perches used on the Nova hang about 1" lower in the spring perch pockets as compared to the Camaro's front spring perches. This did make it easier to get to a couple of the J-nuts thru the existing holes in the frame.
69CamarofC likes this.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 17, 04:21 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

I cut a hole in the floor on my first Camaro to access those hex nuts in the street in front of my childhood home. that would have be before 1976, we had owned that car since 70 or 71. I can't say what the originals in my current car were like, the ones that spun were burned off with a torch and the remnants fished out of the holes. I replaced them with the cone style replacements from my local spring shop.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode