• 1 Post By BMR Suspension
  • 1 Post By davidpozzi

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 17, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage
Remember "Traction Masters"?

I'm dating myself, but I was curious about why very few people use those old school traction master bars on our 1st Gen Camaro's. Back in the '60's I was on one of my corvette kicks and while my '57 'vette had Traction Masters, my 64 and 69 had IRS and different traction issues. But Carroll Shelby put them on all his original cars... and yet I don't think the Penske cars used them, but maybe they had a panhard bar? Anyway... these are the buggers:

Everybody and their mother used Traction Masters back then, and even now... many of my friends who race their Ford SVT Lightning trucks use what we referred to as "Long Bars" on our trucks... and many of those #5000 lb. trucks were running anywhere from mid 9's to 12 second quarters with long bars. I had Stifflers Long Bars, which featured adjustable turnbuckle ends to "tune" the stiffness. I think my bars were 52" or maybe 56" long LOL. With all the torque we were making long bars were the first thing you did to prevent axle wrap and hop.

So I'm curious... if the long bars work so well on supercharged Lightning trucks that were making anywhere from 500-900 RWHP and 600-900 RWTQ why aren't more people using these on F-Bodies? Something to do with frames I'd assume, but are Cal-Tracs or Slide-A-Links that different?

'69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, 030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed, Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition
CompCams XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads, PYPES Full 3" SS Exhaust, Hooker Comp Headers, Wilwood Calipers/MC
JGC Steering Box, Helix Uppers/Lowers, ProForged BJs, SpeedHut Gauges, MOMO Steering Wheel, Budnik 17" Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 17, 03:43 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Re: Remember "Traction Masters"?

I remember back in my 4-wheeling days (mid-80's to late 90's)some guys were running "traction bars" which were very similar to the bars you pictured. No adjustability, went from the U-bolts to the front spring eye....not really much different than CalTracs.

I kept saying that CalTracs and the like weren't a "new idea".....so, I made some Caltrac "copies" using a diagram I found on-line. I can say they are working just fine.

Traction
57vette likes this.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53

Last edited by DOUG G; Oct 17th, 17 at 04:22 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 17, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUG G View Post
I remember back in my 4-wheeling days (mid-80's to late 90's)some guys were running "traction bars" which were very similar to the bars you pictured. No adjustability, went from the U-bolts to the front spring eye....not really much different than CalTracs.

I kept saying that CalTracs and the like weren't a "new idea".....so, I made some Caltrac "copies" using a diagram I found on-line. I can say they are working just fine.

Traction
Thats a great "How-To" Doug. For those looking for pretty much straight line traction the "Doug's-Trac" LOL is a win win.

Dave Pozzi told me that changing the front sway bar will have a far greater effect on 1st Gen _handling_ than adding a rear sway bar. I found it odd that Shelby used "Traction Masters" in his Trans Am race cars as well as production cars, and Penske used a Panhard bar. Some people say you shouldn't mix them, and of course if you relocate the shocks to both being behind the axle, they say you'll need some kind of traction bar.

Dave did say that once the big front sway bar is installed you can always add the rear, but do the front first.

'69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, 030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed, Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition
CompCams XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads, PYPES Full 3" SS Exhaust, Hooker Comp Headers, Wilwood Calipers/MC
JGC Steering Box, Helix Uppers/Lowers, ProForged BJs, SpeedHut Gauges, MOMO Steering Wheel, Budnik 17" Wheels

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 17, 01:46 PM
Senior Tech
T.C.

The Jerry Titus 2nd Gen Trans-Am cars had a Watts Link. One of Jim Hall's cars did too
57vette likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 17, 10:56 PM
Senior Tech
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUG G View Post

Traction
I like that link also. Maybe if I know I'll get a lot of time in the garage sometime in the future.........

- John
Misfit tortured soul. Lone wolf. Unicorn.
'67 V8 Camaro - 12637, 797-Z (Parchment), M-M (Royal Plum), 2M, 3K, 5Y
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 17, 04:50 PM
David Pozzi

Traction master/Caltracs allow body roll without binding the suspension in roll, so are a good device to prevent spring wind up and still good for cornering. I'm not sure about those "long bars" if they are solid on the top part, they will bind the suspension in roll acting like a huge rear sway bar. They would cause a lot of oversteer but they are probably great for drag racing. A camaro won't have room for the upper link though.
57vette likes this.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode