Using Urethane Bushings - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 17, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Peter

Smile Using Urethane Bushings

I am contemplating using Urethane bushings on the suspension, sway bars, and body mounts. Is there a sacrifice in ride quality over the rubber mounts that originally came with the cars?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 17, 04:23 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

Re: Using Urethane Bushings

I have cars with rubber and urethane. Can't tell much difference. The urethane can squeak if not greased properly and after a few years. New rubber is a big improvement over the 50 year old bushings.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 17, 06:04 AM
John

Garage

Not much dif if bushings are new.

I just installed some Delrin bushings. All the benefit of urethane without squeak. I think they came from BMR

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 17, 08:25 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Garage

X2 on installing Delrin. I installed GW Del-a-lum control arm bushings a few years ago. I just installed the GW Del-a-lum rear shackle kit this summer (with Caltracs). I am very pleased with the results. I just use the Urethane on the parts that don't pivot (body mounts, trans mount, motor mounts, etc).

Delrin acts more like a bearing, eliminating suspension bind. In my opinion... worth the extra cost.
Ride is not harsh at all. If anything, much more "controlled feeling".
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 17, 06:37 PM
Senior Tech
Bobby

X3 on the delrin, I have GW del-a-lum on all suspension points since 2012 and the car rides so much smoother than the rubber which was all replaced in 1992.

I've had all rubber on cars, all urethane on cars and after setting up my 67 with del-a-lum it's hard to give a recommendation on "rubber or urethane" because the delrin is so superior to both.

67 Camaro 350
M20 4spd console,
8.5, 30 spline Eaton posi 373
Cowl Plenum
Custom 180 Headers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

black/black
no radio
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 17, 02:21 PM
Senior Tech
T.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinIndian View Post
I am contemplating using Urethane bushings on the suspension, sway bars, and body mounts. Is there a sacrifice in ride quality over the rubber mounts that originally came with the cars?
Polyurethane (it is a Polymer) is fine depending on the Durameter (Hardness) and if you have a Grease Fitting. Polyurethane needs to be greased with a Full Synthetic Grease.

Delrin is a Polymer as well, but is Solid and needs to be Milled in a CNC machine (that is why the cost is so much higher)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 17, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Peter

Thank you for the information on the urethane and delrin materials.

Im a machinist by trade But, alas no longer practicing my trade and I am familiar with both materials. i did not know the Delrin was not a cast product like urethane for suspension products. that is why they cost so much more. i have often wondered. i have machined both materials and i can tell you Delrin is a dream to machine compared to the urethane! Urethane is a terrible material to alter from its as cast state. Its like cutting jello!

Cool! Thank you again! I greatly appreciate it!

Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode