brake line to caliper - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 17, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

brake line to caliper

Hi all,
Need help. Working on a 67 with factory front disc brakes. Everything is stock components.
The brake line from the flex line to the caliper I purchased off RightStuff doesn't fit and it looks like the right part but its to big to fit in such a small space.It's also hitting the stabilizer link.
I think everything is installed correctly but I can't figure it out. Here are some pictures. If you look close you can see the caliper inlet and the flex line inlet in its bracket.
Does anyone see what I could have done wrong?
Any help would be great!

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2668.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	197362   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2699.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	197370   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2676.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	197378  

Name:	IMG_2698.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	197386   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2701.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	197394  

67 Camaro RS350SS (already restored) 68Convertible(future project)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68 Coupe(restoring)On hold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gave to friend.

67 Convertible (restoring)

67 Coupe(parts car for now)

72 Chevelle Malibu

2-69 Jaguar xke roadsters (appeasing the wife)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 17, 05:16 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael

Re: brake line to caliper

What is that adapter? If that adapter was left off and you positioned the line, would it then still contact the sway bar?

Mike

67 LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 17, 07:29 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

I have the larger JL8 style front disc brake setup with even less room and something is amiss in your picture.

Have you assembled it like the included picture? The top part of the hose is just taped to the top of the caliper for shipping, but you can see the hard line loops so it ends up pointing to the back.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/67-68-Camar...-/191833588845

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 17, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

Hi Mike_S, the adapter is just a reducer from 1/2 inch to 3/8 because one caliper came with a larger inlet port. that doesn't make any difference, it's still would hit and it wouldn't fit anyways without bending the you-know-what out of the brake line.

Hi Mahunt,
It appears to be assembled according to your picture, though I can't see how your bracket holding the flex line is attached. My bracket bolts to the caliper with the same bolt that attaches the top of the caliper to the spindle. Correct?

I'm at a loss!!

Steve

Gave to friend.

72 Chevelle Malibu

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 17, 03:46 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Steve, Do you have lowering springs on the car ?

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 17, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanjs View Post
Steve, Do you have lowering springs on the car ?
No completely stock. if anything the car sits too high

Gave to friend.

72 Chevelle Malibu

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 17, 08:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael

I'll measure mine tomorrow to see what the end to end length is.

Mike

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 17, 07:14 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

It appears from picture 1 and 2 that the ends of the 2 hard lines are facing forward to the front of the car. The two shots show the sway bar ends in the foreground AND the upper ball joint plainly while looking down the throat of the hard line ends, WHICH SHOULDN't BE.

If shot from the front bumper of the car looking back, you should see the backs of the armored short lines, NOT the throats of the pipes.

Please remove the wheel, **** the brake setup inward so we can see the inboard side of your brakes and how it's assembled.

The hard line hose ends have to face toward the back of the car (like in the photo I provided).

Also, I don't know if this is possible, but your calipers are on the trailing side of the spindle?
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 17, 12:38 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahunt View Post
It appears from picture 1 and 2 that the ends of the 2 hard lines are facing forward to the front of the car. The two shots show the sway bar ends in the foreground AND the upper ball joint plainly while looking down the throat of the hard line ends, WHICH SHOULDN't BE.
That is the flex line, not a hard line. See the flex line retaining clip on the bracket? The other hole is the caliper.

Steve,
Screw at least one side of the hard line in and take a photo or two so we can see what is going on.

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 17, 04:27 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Here's a couple of pictures if they are of any help......(Excuse the hose clamp and wire!)

1968, 327 210 HP, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Custom Interior, 4 Speed, Console, Gauges, Tilt Wheel, Speed Warning, Fiber Optics, 10 Bolt 3.55 Posi Rear end......Owned since 1978.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 17, 07:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael

Hi Steve,

I've measured my lines on the 05B NOR and they are approximately 5" in length and use a 3/8" fitting on both sides. I've even checked the 67 04B LOS, still with original brakes, and they too are approximately 5" and use 3/8" fittings. Attached are two pictures of the NOR taken from front and rear views. The top of the sway bar bolt, when the car is at curb height, easily clears the brake line and I can get my hand between the two. The brake pipe does come close to the spindle side. I see the top of the sway bar bolt in your picture is cut down. Is that the correct height?

Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	left.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	197649   Click image for larger version

Name:	left-2.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	270.3 KB
ID:	197657  

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 17, 07:28 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Looking at my new hard lines going from the flex hose to the caliper (which are not installed yet), I realized what I am showing in the above pictures is completely wrong. After digging up some photos online, it looks like the hose brackets should be attached to the top bolt of the caliper instead of the bottom bolt. And these short hard lines are incorrect. Apparently someone fabricated these lines before I owned the car.

I never knew what I had here was incorrect......Sorry if I confused the issue.

Dave

1968, 327 210 HP, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Custom Interior, 4 Speed, Console, Gauges, Tilt Wheel, Speed Warning, Fiber Optics, 10 Bolt 3.55 Posi Rear end......Owned since 1978.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 17, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

Scott, I'll try and get more pics and clearer pics.
No problem Dave. You did scare me there for a minute. THought I had the wrong parts Lol.
Mike, that's the right set up. the front end hasn't been set up yet. The front end parts are put together complete but loose with correct parts, I hope.
Here are some more pics and hopefully clearer.
I cut the length of stabilizer link because it was hitting the ball joint nut when I turn the wheel from left to right and vise versa.
Maybe that's the problem there but the hard line don't line up exactly either.
Also noticed the brake line bracket is going to hit the upper rubber stopper when I lower the weight of car on suspension.
Your thoughts?

Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2738.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	197721   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2737.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	197722   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2736.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	197729  

Name:	IMG_2735.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	197737   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2734.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	197745   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2732.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	197753  

Name:	IMG_2731.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	197754   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2730.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	197762  

Gave to friend.

72 Chevelle Malibu

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 17, 12:19 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Steve, When the weight of the car is on the ground the upper control arm will pivot upwards and the upper ball joint will pivot outwards. That will gain you some clearance. Do you have the upper control arm bumper in place and is it in good condition ? Do you have offset shafts on the upper control arms ? They might have a slight effect on your clearance issues. There are problems with the frame bumper hitting the calipers on cars that have been retrofit from drum to disc but I haven't heard of this problem with factory disc's. Back in the early 70's when I worked on brakes and suspension for a living we often had to support the upper control arm so as not to allow full droop when servicing the brakes/calipers due to clearance issues. Once on the ground all was good.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 17, 12:25 PM
Senior Tech
Michael

Why is your lower A-arm mount for the sway bar located BEHIND the lower ball joint?

At first I thought your trimmed sway bar end-link might be too tall, but it's the same height as mine (rises just above the steering arm loop). I then looked at the proximity of the top of the sway bar to the armored brake pipe and it's at least 4 inches away on my car (contact on your car).

The top of your sway bar link also looks very close to the upper ball joint while mine is over 5 inches away.

Are your lower control arms swapped or not for Camaro?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode