3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 17, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to keithl1967
power steering brackets

Considering a winter project to convert from manual to power steering on my '67.

I have a long water pump, with a passenger mounted alternator.

Will the water pump type (short or long) matter at all, since the power steering is driven directly from the crank? I noticed that the brackets for '69 (which came with along water pump) are a different, 3 piece bracket vs the '67 (which originally came with the short pump) with a 2 piece bracket setup?

If so, what bracket setup is recommended with headers (if that comes into play)?

Also, what crank pulley will I need (chrome preferred as it is what I have now)--I assume I'll need a three groove crank pulley? I currently have a 2 groove...

NO A/C on the car...

Thanks!

Keith
1967 Camaro
406, 10:1, comp xr282HR, Dart Iron Eagle 200cc, Holley Contender dual plane, Holley 750 DP
Muncie M-20
GM 8.5, 3.73 posi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 17, 10:33 PM
David Pozzi

Re: power steering brackets

The long water pump uses a better pulley system than the 67/68 short pump. Does your water pump have a wide boss with hole in it on the left side? You need that to bolt in a 69 PS pump bracket.
I think you can use a two groove pulley, the rear groove to drive the pump, front to drive the alternator. Tensioner bolts to the front header bolt & motor mount bolt, but needs a spacer for header use.
Use a 69 fan shroud

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70

Last edited by davidpozzi; Dec 6th, 17 at 09:14 AM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 17, 04:42 AM
Team Member
Ray

Garage

David is the go to guy on this, but you didn't say what engine you have.
My winter project last year was a PS changeover on my 68 SS/rs 350. I used an acquired 67 327 used pump, brackets and 2 1/4 lock to lock steering gear. The two 327 pump brackets will not work on the 350. The 327 curved cradle bracket will hit the large 350 harmonic balance. If you have a 350 you will need to get the 302/350 brackets. The upper bracket is also different for 327 vs 350. (got those from Ricks) It mounted to the lowest bolt on the engine mount. Again get the 302/350 type.
My alt is on the driver's side and I added only the extra bottom crank pulley for the pump. (found on ebay)
I don't have part numbers handy right now, but I suggest referring to the Assemble Manual for part numbers.

'68 rs/SS 350 M-21 posi
numbers matching

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 17, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage

I am currently running a 406 with a 6.75 harmonic balancer...

would mid 70's corvette mounts work? They look remarkably similar to the photos of the '67 350 mounts...
That consists of the cradle bracket and the rear bracket (which bolts to the upper motor mount bolt)...just trying to figure out what will line up correctly for the belt drive...

Keith
1967 Camaro
406, 10:1, comp xr282HR, Dart Iron Eagle 200cc, Holley Contender dual plane, Holley 750 DP
Muncie M-20
GM 8.5, 3.73 posi
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 17, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgwiz View Post
David is the go to guy on this, but you didn't say what engine you have.
My winter project last year was a PS changeover on my 68 SS/rs 350. I used an acquired 67 327 used pump, brackets and 2 1/4 lock to lock steering gear. The two 327 pump brackets will not work on the 350. The 327 curved cradle bracket will hit the large 350 harmonic balance. If you have a 350 you will need to get the 302/350 brackets. The upper bracket is also different for 327 vs 350. (got those from Ricks) It mounted to the lowest bolt on the engine mount. Again get the 302/350 type.
My alt is on the driver's side and I added only the extra bottom crank pulley for the pump. (found on ebay)
I don't have part numbers handy right now, but I suggest referring to the Assemble Manual for part numbers.
Do you have a short or long water pump?
I do have an AIM, but the parts referenced reflect short water pump for '67...my motor has a long pump...

Just not sure what alignment to use...
I was thinking I could run the '67 350 brackets, and just add the crank pulley as you note, but wanted to be sure that would work before buying parts...
rgwiz likes this.

Keith
1967 Camaro
Muncie M-20
GM 8.5, 3.73 posi
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 17, 08:48 PM
Senior Tech
Michael

Get the PS pump brackets that match the rest of your engine brackets.

If you have a long water pump and use the 69 style bracket/pulley system, there you go.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 17, 05:56 AM
Team Member
Ray

Garage

Keith,
I believe I have the long water pump on my 350. In the AIM there are references on the pages that indicate what was used 327 vs 302, 350 and 396. Look closely at the side notes and the list of part numbers on the page. Your engine being a 406 should not matter since the block casting are probably the same (?) However the year 67 vs 68 might be different regarding the tapped holes in the block. (?)

In regards to the lower cradle for the reservoir pump the 302/350 is the straight inline type. The common curved one you'll find all over the net will not clear the larger 302/350 harmonic balance. I'm certain Ricks and Classic still carry both of the 302/350 PS brackets. They also have the correct crank pulley and belt. Note; even with the correct 302/350 straight cradle you find it will be still very close to the balance. Like about 1/4" or so.

'68 rs/SS 350 M-21 posi
numbers matching

Last edited by rgwiz; Dec 6th, 17 at 06:22 AM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 17, 08:57 AM
David Pozzi

Here's my info on pulleys.
Camaro steering

The 67/68 short pump low perf pulley system uses NARROW belts and tends to throw them if revved up. The Short pump Special High Performance pulley system was developed for the Z/28, and uses wider pulleys that are "deep groove". The alternator position out beyond the valve cover creates a long belt run which is unstable, and it needs to be set up nearly perfect alignment to prevent the belt from flipping over. The pump runs off the front 3rd groove insert pulley.

I'd stay with the long water pump. If it has a proper 69 long pump, then there is a PS pump mounting boss on the left side with an unthreaded 3/8" hole. Buy a 69 bracket set. One hangs the pump to the water pump with a long bolt. The other side of the pump has a slotted tensioner bracket, it bolts to a vertical bracket that bolts to the exhaust manifold at the top and the motor mount on the bottom. If you use headers, space the top out a bit using a longer bolt and spacer. A buddy used a 3/8" socket.
If you want to do the junkyard/swap meet thing, then look for any 1969 and up PS mount system. The pump drives off the rear groove on a two groove crank pulley.

Corvettes are a bit different in their water pump pulley flange spacing, I've seen that in the catalog listings. I'm not sure how the PS pump mounts on them. It might work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by davidpozzi; Dec 6th, 17 at 09:13 AM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 17, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage

Great info--thanks all!!

The photos are worth 1000 words...

Keith
1967 Camaro
Muncie M-20
GM 8.5, 3.73 posi
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 17, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage

One more question:
If I change to power steering (which requires a different pitman arm), do I also have to change the idler ARM?
rgwiz likes this.

Keith
1967 Camaro
Muncie M-20
GM 8.5, 3.73 posi
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 17, 04:26 AM
Team Member
Ray

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithl1967 View Post
Great info--thanks all!!

The photos are worth 1000 words...
Here is a pic of my 350 set up minus alternator and it's belt still hanging loose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20170225_16_57_43_Pro.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	198729  

'68 rs/SS 350 M-21 posi
numbers matching
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 17, 01:55 PM
David Pozzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithl1967 View Post
One more question:
If I change to power steering (which requires a different pitman arm), do I also have to change the idler ARM?
You can use your existing idler arm.
If you don't have a power box already, look for one with stiff feel. It makes a world of difference!
The AGR 12:1 is a swap in, just use a 67 PS rag joint. The manual rag joint has different spline count. Stock hoses fit. If you use a late model steering box, then hose port adapters are needed, & a late model rag joint due to yet different spline count.

I would select long or short pitman arm based off what outer arms you have on the car. long pitman with long outer arms, long pitman with short outer arms. IF you are using a 12:1 rato PS box.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 17, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgwiz View Post
Here is a pic of my 350 set up minus alternator and it's belt still hanging loose.

THIS BUD'S FOR YOU!! Nice looking setup. definitely short water
pump on yours!

Keith
1967 Camaro
Muncie M-20
GM 8.5, 3.73 posi
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 17, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpozzi View Post
You can use your existing idler arm.
If you don't have a power box already, look for one with stiff feel. It makes a world of difference!
The AGR 12:1 is a swap in, just use a 67 PS rag joint. The manual rag joint has different spline count. Stock hoses fit. If you use a late model steering box, then hose port adapters are needed, & a late model rag joint due to yet different spline count.

I would select long or short pitman arm based off what outer arms you have on the car. long pitman with long outer arms, long pitman with short outer arms. IF you are using a 12:1 rato PS box.
The box I am looking at is 2.5-3 turns lock to lock...available on Rockauto.com...

Next up will be a suspension rebuild (stock height) and Ugrade to Disc brakes (currently 4 wheel manual drum)...Steering in the Winter (more likely Spring) and the suspension/brakes in the summer...

Essentially, that's why I was asking about the Pitman Arm...I'll be rebuilding the suspension at some point in the future, so this is again, useful and timely info! Would rater not have to replace the pitman ARM again in the future...just buy it once!

Keith
1967 Camaro
Muncie M-20
GM 8.5, 3.73 posi
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 17, 06:35 PM
Senior Tech
Wiley E. Coyote

would an Abody bracket pump setup work for him? Plenty of repops out there now...being as the abody PS box is "right there" would think it would fit the camaro?
As said way more choices with a long water pump, regret not doing it myself, to add ac or anything else would have to start all over again not cheap!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode