• 2 Post By Vega
  • 1 Post By mferris72

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 17, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage
Multi Spring upgrade

I'm in the process of installing a 12 bolt 3.73 posi, multi spring setup in a 68 Camaro. I have upgraded the front using CPP 1.5 lowering springs. (No drop spindle) and currently have Mono spring rear, ride height is perfect 26.5", floor to top of wheel arch. I suspect the mono's are sagging some with age. I see everything from 3,4,5 leaf options and spring rates from 112-180 lbs. I assume the higher the rate the harder the ride. I'm also installing a 200-4R OD trans, so as you can see I want a pro tour type ride. I'm running a 327 with about 300+HP so not a real powerhouse. My question is::

What # springs and spring rate will give me a comfortable ride?
I am reading that a 2"drop isn't actually 2" lower then stock. Most say it's actually only and inch.
Currently I'm looking at either Detroilt Speed or BMR Suspension springs. I here a lot about Hotckins, but there to high for my wallet.
any comments would be appreciated!

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 17, 06:24 AM
Team Member
Darin

Re: Multi Spring upgrade

If all the normal places are out of budget, maybe Rock Auto or JC Whitney springs,then add lowering blocks.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70 US Gear Lightning r&p
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 17, 08:21 AM
John

Garage

You can look at Heartbeat City show quality 4 leafs.

I used them on mr Z28 this summer. Ride height good along with good ride.

Think about shock selection as well. The gas shocks line KYB yield a harse ride. I used the standard Gabriel replacement shock
DOUG G and 68Tiger like this.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 17, 02:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dom

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
You can look at Heartbeat City show quality 4 leafs.
x2 Just replaced mine this summer too (same 4 leaf). Heartbeat city is where I purchased mine as well. A bit pricey but OEM correct. They do sell less expensive ones as well. I opted for the factory or assembly line correct multi-leaf-spring. The overall ride did improve from what I had.

1969 Camaro RS, 327ci, TH350 Automatic, Richmond 3:55 12 Bolt Posi, Norwood 11C build date. Recipient of December 2017 Team Camaro ROTM.

Last edited by 68Tiger; Dec 11th, 17 at 02:50 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 17, 04:09 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

I went with the 4 leaf JRS springs from JCWhitney...and I will agree with the KYB's being harsh, and also I would get some adjustable shocks to dial in the ride you like Vs. swapping a bunch. (More $$ now Vs. even more $$$ later)

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 17, 06:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mferris72 View Post
I'm in the process of installing a 12 bolt 3.73 posi, multi spring setup in a 68 Camaro. I have upgraded the front using CPP 1.5 lowering springs. (No drop spindle) and currently have Mono spring rear, ride height is perfect 26.5", floor to top of wheel arch. I suspect the mono's are sagging some with age. I see everything from 3,4,5 leaf options and spring rates from 112-180 lbs. I assume the higher the rate the harder the ride. I'm also installing a 200-4R OD trans, so as you can see I want a pro tour type ride. I'm running a 327 with about 300+HP so not a real powerhouse. My question is::

What # springs and spring rate will give me a comfortable ride?
I am reading that a 2"drop isn't actually 2" lower then stock. Most say it's actually only and inch.
Currently I'm looking at either Detroilt Speed or BMR Suspension springs. I here a lot about Hotckins, but there to high for my wallet.
any comments would be appreciated!

Mike
Give Mike at Detroit Eaton Spring a call. He's very knowledgeable and will probably ask you to measure the distance between the top of the axle and the frame rail right above it. There's a range like 5-1/2" to 6" that may be the stock height... I forget right now. Also tell him what size tires/wheels you're running, although the key there is the overall OD of the mounted tire. You can also measure from the ground to the inside tangent of the wheel arch trim as well as from the center of the axle/rim to that point. From what he told me, DES can make you a spring pack that give you the ride and ride height you want. Might be less than Hotchkis too, not sure. Worth a call though.

'69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, 030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed, Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition
CompCams XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads, PYPES Full 3" SS Exhaust, Hooker Comp Headers, Wilwood Calipers/MC
JGC Steering Box, Helix Uppers/Lowers, ProForged BJs, SpeedHut Gauges, MOMO Steering Wheel, Budnik 17" Wheels
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 17, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

Good idea. Iím gonna call him. I didnít want to sound like I was pinching pennyís here but just donít want to spend more then is needed. Having said that I also donít want to make an expensive mistake. When in doubt ask the question I was always told. Thanks
68Tiger likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 17, 11:44 AM
David Pozzi

You haven't given any info on how you want to use your car. Is performance important? Are you wanting to prevent wheel hop? Or is this just for crusing around?

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 17, 07:39 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

I Agree with Dave... you have to decide how your car is going to be used. If its just the low-slung pro-touring "look" your after... thats one thing. If you intend to autocross it, thats another, and if you intend to drag race, ditto. If you want everything... yikes! LOL... But I'm sure there's a compromise spring pack out there.

'69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, 030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed, Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition
CompCams XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads, PYPES Full 3" SS Exhaust, Hooker Comp Headers, Wilwood Calipers/MC
JGC Steering Box, Helix Uppers/Lowers, ProForged BJs, SpeedHut Gauges, MOMO Steering Wheel, Budnik 17" Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode