Thinking of Converting to Disc Brakes - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

 8Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 17, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Abraham
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 62
Thinking of Converting to Disc Brakes

Have had my 67 for a few month now and love it. I would say one thing I have been a bit hesitant with is the brakes. I have power drums, which I believe came with the car originally (I suspect brakes were replaced when the car was restored, but that was two owners ago I believe).

I have had to make a few hard stops, and the stopping distance is much longer than I am used to. Given the LA traffic and crazy drivers / cyclists here seems like it would be much safer to have a shorter stopping distance.

I would like to convert the front brakes to disc brakes. Couple of questions for the folks here:

1- I believe converting just the front will make a big difference, and that the expense of doing the rears isn't worth it (particularly since I won't be doing the labor myself). Anyone agree / disagree?

2 - From a value standpoint, wondering whether putting disc brakes (when car didn't originally come with them) would detract from value? I don't have the original motor, so my guess is I'm already not in the "as original" category for value, and that it wouldn't be a net negative to have disc brakes, but wanted to see what people thought.

Thanks!

HAMBO

1967 Bolero Red Convertible SS/RS
2013 Ashen Gray Metallic Supercharged SS/RS
HAMBO is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 17, 03:16 PM
Senior Tech
Al
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Iowa
Posts: 3,125
Re: Thinking of Converting to Disc Brakes

Unless you have a super rare car, which it sounds like
you don't, changing to front disc is a great upgrade.
HAMBO likes this.

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
allanjs is online now  
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 17, 03:25 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis
 
DjD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Fortuna, CA
Posts: 26,435
Garage
Re: Thinking of Converting to Disc Brakes

Did you loose track of this thread where you were asking about disc's?

https://www.camaros.net/forums/16-bra...rsion-kit.html

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
DjD is offline  
 
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 17, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Abraham
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 62
Re: Thinking of Converting to Disc Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
Did you loose track of this thread where you were asking about disc's?

https://www.camaros.net/forums/16-bra...rsion-kit.html
Nope! Sorry, could have probably combined all into one, but that thread was to try to figure out how much time / labor / cost it would take. Having gotten the helpful replies there, this post was meant to ask some additional questions on usefulness and value.

1967 Bolero Red Convertible SS/RS
2013 Ashen Gray Metallic Supercharged SS/RS
HAMBO is offline  
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 17, 05:26 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mickey
 
Moonpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mesquite Texas
Posts: 2,151
Re: Thinking of Converting to Disc Brakes

Best upgrade you can make.
There is another option for rear brakes. I installed 11x2 drum brakes in place of the 9 1/2 stock brakes. Really complements the front discs.
Get the backing plates from an El Camino, and a couple other suspects, and all the parts can be gotten at Auto Reilly.
Moonpie is offline  
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 17, 05:39 PM
Moderator
____
 
DOUG G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 19,284
Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Re: Thinking of Converting to Disc Brakes

Went from manual 4-wheel drum brakes to power disc/drum brakes......WWWWAAAAYYYY better stopping.

But I doubt it will ever stop as good as a new car with ABS and such....50 years makes a big difference, that is unless you want to really lay down some $$$$

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
DOUG G is offline  
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 17, 06:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,020
Re: Thinking of Converting to Disc Brakes

Great idea, just make sure you get all the right pieces including disc/drum MC, correct proportioning valve etc. You should keep all the old parts so if you or someone else wants to return the car to its original state at a later date it can be accomplished with the original parts.

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
ctcz28 is offline  
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 17, 08:28 PM
Senior Tech
Larry
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Las Vegas NV
Posts: 521
Garage
Re: Thinking of Converting to Disc Brakes

I converted my 67 from 4 wheel manual drum brakes to 4 wheel power disc brakes about 20 years ago. The car stops on a *proverbial* dime now.

I'd have to go look at the spec info to be certain, but it was a kit utilizing (seat of the pants memory here) something like 72 Monte Carlo fronts and 78 Cadillac Seville rear and a Corvette master cylinder and power booster and a proper proportioning valve for the application. It's all factory GM stuff available at any parts store.

I think the cost for the kit was about $1,200.00 and I installed it all myself.

It was an eye opener when I realized how far behind the times those factory brakes were.

It seems we lose sight of how much technology has advanced until we are thrust back into the olden days driving these cars. It doesn't take too many occurrences of all the modern cars right there in front of us with brake lights blaring in our faces ... and we are forced to contemplate using the barrow pit to avoid occupying the same space.

Been there and done that.

I can't complain, but sometimes I still do.
Larry Madsen is offline  
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 17, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Abraham
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 62
Re: Thinking of Converting to Disc Brakes

Thanks for the input, sounds like a worthwhile upgrade.

I found this kit, which seems to have what I would need and I believe would fit my existing wheels:
https://www.getdiscbrakes.com/afxdc14

Anyone familiar with it or recommend something else?

Thanks!

1967 Bolero Red Convertible SS/RS
2013 Ashen Gray Metallic Supercharged SS/RS
HAMBO is offline  
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 17, 05:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 942
Garage
Re: Thinking of Converting to Disc Brakes

I clicked on your link and checked "Applications". It did not show Camaro's. My concern is the comment made earlier about the cutting the drum spindle anchor bolt boss .610" mentioned in your other post. From those two clues, I would feel better buying a kit with spindles. This one is not much more than the one you found and it's still the same manufacturer:
Disc brake conversion with spindles

I was able to look into the instructions on the part number you have and it appears that they have made provisions for it to work on your car, but If I were you, I would definitely confirm that.

Brett....

1969 SS 396 X66 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue
Brettallen59 is offline  
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 17, 06:29 AM
Team Member
Darin
 
ilikeike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Stanislaus Co. Ca.
Posts: 1,335
Re: Thinking of Converting to Disc Brakes

When you find the brakes you want, since you are already right there swapping a spindle, if needed, it's a good time to throw a rebuild kit on the front suspension and steering components. Basic rebuild kits from PST aren't too bad in the $200-$300 range. maybe even rock auto or Summit...


https://p-s-t.com/i-23160034-polygra...model%3DCAMARO
HAMBO likes this.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70 US Gear Lightning r&p
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ilikeike is online now  
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 17, 06:38 AM
Senior Tech
Lyle
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 130
Re: Thinking of Converting to Disc Brakes

I purchased the right stuff kit designed for use with the stock drum spindles a couple of years ago. They have milled an indent on the caliper bracket to accommodate the drum spindles boss without needing to cut it off. I also believe that the discs are slightly smaller diameter to allow for the use with stock steel 14" wheels instead of just the ones originally designed for discs.

It is a simple to install alternative designed to fit stock components but you do not get the BIG BRAKE upgrade with that kit, it's very suitable for street use.
HAMBO likes this.
thebat is offline  
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 17, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Abraham
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 62
Re: Thinking of Converting to Disc Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettallen59 View Post
I clicked on your link and checked "Applications". It did not show Camaro's. My concern is the comment made earlier about the cutting the drum spindle anchor bolt boss .610" mentioned in your other post. From those two clues, I would feel better buying a kit with spindles. This one is not much more than the one you found and it's still the same manufacturer:
Disc brake conversion with spindles

I was able to look into the instructions on the part number you have and it appears that they have made provisions for it to work on your car, but If I were you, I would definitely confirm that.

Brett....
Thanks!! That kit looks like it would have everything I'd need.

1967 Bolero Red Convertible SS/RS
2013 Ashen Gray Metallic Supercharged SS/RS
HAMBO is offline  
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 17, 02:49 PM
Moderator
David Pozzi
 
davidpozzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Central California, USA
Posts: 10,062
Re: Thinking of Converting to Disc Brakes

Something to think about:
67 Camaros came with Four piston Discs as an option. Do you want your 67 to look like a stock 67 with the disc brake option or do you want to have aftermarket brakes, OR 1969 single piston discs?

Many aftermarket kits use non-GM parts, some use "Metric" front calipers from the late 70's - 80's. They have a smaller piston, 2 3/4" diameter. 1969 used a single 2 15/16" dia piston. 1967 used a four piston caliper.
Metric: https://www.speedwaymotors.com/1978-...xoCPs0QAvD_BwE

69: Proper "V back" caliper: https://www.classicindustries.com/sh...akes/calipers/

67 four piston: https://www.rickscamaros.com/camaro-...xoCAacQAvD_BwE

Rotors:
67-69 used a two piece hub/rotor. The 67/68 four piston caliper needs extra clearance to the hub so this rotor is needed or there is a special single piece rotor with smaller hub area to clear. A 69 single piston brakes came with the two piece rotor but doesn't need the clearance. The four piston 67/68 calipers need special wheels, not all rally wheels clear them.

Wheel Backspace
Disc brakes will move your current wheels out aprox 1/2" due to differences in the wheel flange location. Watch out for tire clearance to the fenders.

I would NOT install rear discs without Positraction. Disc require no to very limited end play on the axles. Stock open diff rear axles have a huge amount of axle end play. Positraction units have very little when new, but the end play grows with age and wear. They can be re-shimmed. Floating calipers can function with a little end play but not an open diff. Fixed calipers like 4 or 6 piston don't work well at all even with Positraction, they require a floating axle.
ctcz28 and HAMBO like this.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70

Last edited by davidpozzi; Dec 19th, 17 at 03:37 PM.
davidpozzi is offline  
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 17, 03:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 942
Garage
Re: Thinking of Converting to Disc Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpozzi View Post
Something to think about:
67 Camaros came with Four piston Discs as an option. Do you want your 67 to look like a stock 67 with the disc brake option or do you want to have aftermarket brakes, OR 1969 single piston discs?

Many aftermarket kits use non-GM parts, some use "Metric" front calipers from the late 70's - 80's. They have a smaller piston, 2 3/4" diameter. 1969 used a single 2 15/16" dia piston. 1967 used a four piston caliper.
Metric: https://www.speedwaymotors.com/1978-...xoCPs0QAvD_BwE

69: Proper "V back" caliper: https://www.classicindustries.com/sh...akes/calipers/

67 four piston: https://www.rickscamaros.com/camaro-...xoCAacQAvD_BwE

Rotors:
67-69 used a two piece hub/rotor. The 67/68 four piston caliper needs extra clearance to the hub so this rotor is needed or there is a special single piece rotor with smaller hub area to clear. A 69 single piston brakes came with the two piece rotor but doesn't need the clearance. The four piston 67/68 calipers need special wheels, not all rally wheels clear them.

Wheel Backspace
Disc brakes will move your current wheels out aprox 1/2" due to differences in the wheel flange location. Watch out for tire clearance to the fenders.

I would NOT install rear discs without Positraction. Disc require no to very limited end play on the axles. Stock open diff rear axles have a huge amount of axle end play. Positraction units have very little when new, but the end play grows with age and wear. They can be re-shimmed. Floating calipers can function with a little end play but not an open diff. Fixed calipers like 4 or 6 piston don't work well at all even with Positraction, they require a floating axle.
David, this is great information that I have not heard of before. Great knowledge for how someone can plan a build or upgrade. I will use this information to decide how I proceed for sure. Thanks!

Brett....

1969 SS 396 X66 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue
Brettallen59 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome