Global West vs. Hotchkis - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 18, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

Global West vs. Hotchkis

I'm going to upgrade my multi-leaf springs to combat my axle hop problem.

Does anyone have suggestions or opinions on which manufacturer makes a better leaf spring to fix my wheel hop problem.

The hotchkis costs 450$ and comes with the shackles and bushings.

The global west costs a total of $560 for the leaf springs and del-a-lum shackle kit.

Thanks

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 18, 06:23 PM
John

Garage
Re: Global West vs. Hotchkis

Why do you believe a spring change will combat wheel hop/axle wrap?
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 18, 06:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

South side lift bars? Kinda old school, but have worked in the past. Half the price of those springs.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 18, 06:49 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

I'm with John.

Multi-leafs (with staggered shocks) didn't help the 1968-'69 Camaro from the factory control wheel hop if you had a high torque motor. Slapper bars or a pipe inside of a pipe where the only things that worked to control wheel hop back in the sixties if you had leaf springs. The 1970-'81 Camaro used multi-leaf springs that where pigeon toed (front eye pointed into the frame while the back pointed out) to combat wheel hop that were only mildly more successful than the first gen's suspension.

Big Dave
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 18, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
Why do you believe a spring change will combat wheel hop/axle wrap?
I'm not talking about replacing my stock leaf springs with another stock leaf spring.

The global West L2 spring I'm looking at claims the following...

When using leaf springs from Global West Suspension, they will eliminate wheel hop during launch! Wheel hop can be a result of many factors; however, springs have a great deal to do with it. Our forward segment of the leaf is designed to control rap up, which if left unchecked, it will cause the leaf to load and unload, resulting in wheel hop.

The hotchkis 2407c claims...

Our Sport leafs represent the latest technology in performance spring. Our springs utilize a 3/4 length over load spring reducing axle wrap.

Has anyone found these claims to be untrue?
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 18, 07:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

If they are using an original factory setup as a yardstick i wont quibble with them. If you have any serious power and bite you're not gonna be happy.

67RSSS......owned since 69. A basket case for most of it.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 18, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d cad View Post
If they are using an original factory setup as a yardstick i wont quibble with them. If you have any serious power and bite you're not gonna be happy.
I run BFG T/A tires, my motor made 430hp and 460 torque on the Dyno to the fly wheel.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 18, 08:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

By design a spring typically is a flexible member. If you design a spring so that the forward half is inflexible you might eliminate wheel hop under most conditions. A slide-a-link or lift bar, set up right, should perform the same function with a better ride. Wheel hop is, if i remember correctly, a comic example of the third law of motion. Controlling it is easy. What do you want to trade off to get there? I could never get it done with multileafs.

67RSSS......owned since 69. A basket case for most of it.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 18, 10:29 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

They are adding one or two extra clamps to the leaf spring to stiffen the spring rate by restricting movement. Here is what I am talking about.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....2Bq0N%2B6L.jpg

Chrysler did the same thing on their super stocks and added a pinion snubber to prevent wheel hop. They also added extra clamps to the front half of the spring and took the thickest bottom leaf out of a one ton truck cut it in half past the spring perch to add that spring into the car leaf spring pack.

http://st.hotrod.com/uploads/sites/2...on-snubber.jpg

http://st.hotrod.com/uploads/sites/2...af-springs.jpg

This allowed a Hemi Cuda to stand on it's back bumper, but the car lived on a trailer so no one complained about ride quality.

Big Dave
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 18, 12:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

The Hotchkis springs along with new shocks eliminated wheel hop on both my cars. Both had worn out multi leafs when I got them.

Robert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 18, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojo View Post
The Hotchkis springs along with new shocks eliminated wheel hop on both my cars. Both had worn out multi leafs when I got them.
Thanks for the reply, what shock did you go with and hows the ride quality?

When I talked to hotchkis about their leaf springs they said the ride is firmer with the 2407c, they called it a "European" feel.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 18, 01:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

I'd say the ride is pretty firm but that's compared to my daily driver Impala that floats around. The shocks are Bilsteins that were recommended by Hotchkis at the time. I'd have to look back for the part# it's been a good while since I did the upgrade.

Robert

355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 18, 01:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Looking at the pic of your car you may want to give consideration as to how these springs might change your stance.

Robert

TC member #18
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 18, 05:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mickey

Get the del a lums no matter what. They are worth it and stop a lot of binding. I love mine. I have no problem with wheel hop and running a 496.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old May 14th, 18, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

Just a follow up...

I bought the Global West L2 with the Del a Lum shackle kit.

I order the leaf springs with a 3/4 inch drop and requested that the order be shipped complete since I would be driving from Toronto to Buffalo to pick them up. Tracking showed that the boxes arrived in Buffalo so I drove to pick them up, once I got there I found they didn't ship the shackle/bushings, and worse when I got home I realized they shipped me the wrong springs. The bushings and shackles arrived in Buffalo 4 days later.

I shipped them back the incorrect springs and 4 weeks later my new springs arrive and they weren't right either. They shipped me a standard 1.5 inch drop leaf spring, keep in mind that they don't include any packing slip so you don't know what you have until you put them on the car. So now my car is lower in the back then it is in the front.

Through all this Global West ignored any emails, luckily I bought through summit racing who were great (you pay through summit but your ordered is shipped from Global west), if it had not been for the customer rep at summit I would still have the first set of completely wrong springs in my garage.

Summit is shipping me a set of Hotchkis drop springs to lower the front of the car to match the back, I didn't want to remove the rear springs from the car and wait another 4-6 weeks for another pair, I'm DONE with Global west.

If anyone is thinking of purchasing from Global West I hope you have a better experience then I did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode