Can't get drum back on 69 - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 18, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Danny

Can't get drum back on 69

Took the driver rear drum apart to replace all the parking brake cables as they were seized. Got the entire drum put back together but it seems to be off. It looks as it did before I took it apart but the shoes seem to be cocked a little based off the holding pin? (The pin that goes through the back plate and has the spring with the cap on the front that holds the shoes on) Do I just need to play with it? The left shoe seems to be too far left based off the pin coming from the cylinder (is more extended than the right) the pin on the right is almost all the way compressed within the cylinder. Do I have to take it apart and put it back together? It was really hard to get the springs on by myself so I'd rather not do it again. Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 18, 05:07 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

Re: Can't get drum back on 69

You might have to loosen up the emergency brake cable where the cable comes down from the front before you do anything else.

Jon N

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 18, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyno jonn View Post
You might have to loosen up the emergency brake cable where the cable comes down from the front before you do anything else.
I can do that, I forgot to mark where it was prior to unbolting the intermediate cable from the front cable so I may have over tightened it.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 18, 05:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

Check to see if the shoes are touching the pin at the top above the master if not there is a problem with the e brake. The cable might be too tight or the strut that goes across the shoes under the wheel cylinder is installed wrong.

Jeff
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 18, 06:17 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Garage

Maybe somebody will mumble something that will help you think! The wheel cylinder pins should be able to move around and equalize. I think that both should be touching the top pin. Like mentioned, that bar below the wheel cylinder should float a bit. If you changed out the e-brake cable, then investigating the adjustment is a good beginning. You would need to look at that anyway. The only things left to think about are the self-adjusters. You might need to turn them in some. Inspect the drums to make sure there isn't wear that is creating a "raised lip" on the edge that is catching the shoes. Are these mumblings better than a YouTube video?

68 Camaro Convertible Turbo Thrift 250 Powerglide
63 Pontiac Catalina 389 Roto Hydromatic
84 Chrysler Lebaron Convertible

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 18, 06:26 AM
John

Garage

The shoes should rock side to side on the backing plate.

A misconception is that brake shoes press equally against the drum when braking. They actual rock and thereby wedge against the drum to slow and stop the car. Otherwise there would be no reason for them to float on the backing plate.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 18, 06:44 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Any chance you switched the shoes from their correct orientation when you reinstalled them, one is longer than the other.

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 18, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow69RS View Post
Check to see if the shoes are touching the pin at the top above the master if not there is a problem with the e brake. The cable might be too tight or the strut that goes across the shoes under the wheel cylinder is installed wrong.

Jeff
Was able to get it back together, the left shoe (one towards the front of the car) was just pulled too far to the left and stuck on the lip of the backing plate, although I did loosen the e brake cable as suggested. Now I have a question that I'll just copy and paste for each reply to get some coverage. Should the e-brake be able to hold the car back at almost any incline? Went for a test and brakes felt good and the e-brake worked on slight inclines, which is better than before cause it didn't work at all. But then I want to a road that goes straight up a mountain side, it's pretty steep and the e-brake didn't hold up. Do I need to tighten it more? Or is it just not capable to really hold the car at steep inclines?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 18, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRibbon View Post
Maybe somebody will mumble something that will help you think! The wheel cylinder pins should be able to move around and equalize. I think that both should be touching the top pin. Like mentioned, that bar below the wheel cylinder should float a bit. If you changed out the e-brake cable, then investigating the adjustment is a good beginning. You would need to look at that anyway. The only things left to think about are the self-adjusters. You might need to turn them in some. Inspect the drums to make sure there isn't wear that is creating a "raised lip" on the edge that is catching the shoes. Are these mumblings better than a YouTube video?
Was able to get everything situated, the one shoe was just sitting in the wrong spot. Now I have a question that I'll just copy and paste for each reply to get some coverage. Should the e-brake be able to hold the car back at almost any incline? Went for a test and brakes felt good and the e-brake worked on slight inclines, which is better than before cause it didn't work at all. But then I want to a road that goes straight up a mountain side, it's pretty steep and the e-brake didn't hold up. Do I need to tighten it more? Or is it just not capable to really hold the car at steep inclines?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 18, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
The shoes should rock side to side on the backing plate.

A misconception is that brake shoes press equally against the drum when braking. They actual rock and thereby wedge against the drum to slow and stop the car. Otherwise there would be no reason for them to float on the backing plate.
One shoe was just stuck in the wrong position, a little wiggling around fixed it. Now I have a question that I'll just copy and paste for each reply to get some coverage. Should the e-brake be able to hold the car back at almost any incline? Went for a test and brakes felt good and the e-brake worked on slight inclines, which is better than before cause it didn't work at all. But then I want to a road that goes straight up a mountain side, it's pretty steep and the e-brake didn't hold up. Do I need to tighten it more? Or is it just not capable to really hold the car at steep inclines?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 18, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcz28 View Post
Any chance you switched the shoes from their correct orientation when you reinstalled them, one is longer than the other.
No I know I hadn't because I left the springs on the shoes when I took them off so no way to put them on backwards. Got it working in the end. Now I have a question that I'll just copy and paste for each reply to get some coverage. Should the e-brake be able to hold the car back at almost any incline? Went for a test and brakes felt good and the e-brake worked on slight inclines, which is better than before cause it didn't work at all. But then I want to a road that goes straight up a mountain side, it's pretty steep and the e-brake didn't hold up. Do I need to tighten it more? Or is it just not capable to really hold the car at steep inclines?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 18, 06:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

I've never tried my parking brake on a hill so unfortunately I don't have a definitive answer for you, but I'd think it should hold the car on a hill, regardless of how steep.

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 18, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcz28 View Post
I've never tried my parking brake on a hill so unfortunately I don't have a definitive answer for you, but I'd think it should hold the car on a hill, regardless of how steep.
I'll tighten it up a bit and see, just dont want to tighten it so much the brakes drag.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 18, 01:22 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

You will feel the drag when the brakes are adjusted properly. The E Brake should hold the car on an incline.

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode