Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Daral

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 18, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Daral

67 Mono leaf sagging already

I have a 67 SS/RS. I replaced the original mono leaf springs with new mono leafs in 2006 when I restored the car. I wanted to keep the car as stock as possible. Now the drivers side sits about 1.5 inches lower than the passenger side. I think the radius rod is keeping the passenger side at stock height. Could these mono leaf springs be sagging already? If it is the springs, I know I could switch to the JC Whitney multi leafs but what are my options if I want to keep it stock?

Daral (67 RS/SS 350)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 18, 03:15 PM
Senior Tech
mike

Re: 67 Mono leaf sagging already

How level is the front, sometimes the front springs can sag. Other then that remove the dead body from the trunk.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 18, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Daral

The front is straight. I will check the trunk..........

Daral (67 RS/SS 350)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 18, 07:43 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Garage

You can install shorty helper springs (looks like you would only do one side). Put a lowering block on the passenger side (lame - but that's what i did to mine after switching to multi leaf). Rearch the one spring. Shove the dead body to one side and put down the donuts (this is coming from a tubby guy).

I love original, too. It is the cheapest way to survive this hobby. Everyone knows the mono leaf spring is a shortcoming. Everyone that switches to the multi spring worries about the shallow perches. They make stuff for that. I've learned that crooked stances are not uncommon, but mine drove me nuts!

I'm hope we rally your enthusiasm to tackle it and tell us what you did!

Oh yeah... if the thread stays alive long enough, someone might argue that some variety of air shock could lift it! - Scott

68 Camaro Convertible Turbo Thrift 250 Powerglide
63 Pontiac Catalina 389 Roto Hydromatic
84 Chrysler Lebaron Convertible

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 18, 08:18 AM
Kevin

I had good luck with re-arching original GM springs, been many years now and less than 1/2" drop in height. Not sure of newer monos have the same lack of sag.

Kevin

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 18, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Daral

The original GM monos were cracked at the front eye so I couldn't re-arch them. The replacements I put on 11 years ago now were from Eaton and seemed to hold up well until last year. The crooked stance drives me crazy too. I think the radius rod is holding up the passenger side. I could unhook it so see if that evens out the stance but that isn't a fix so new springs are a must.

The JC Whitney 3 leafs don't seem to be available anymore so what multi-leaf conversions are being used now? I found a 4-leaf and 5-leaf that say they will work on a 67 without lowering it. I assume I will also need the Detroit Speed conversion kit as well. Any recommendations?

Daral (67 RS/SS 350)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 18, 12:15 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Garage

I'm always terrified when I post about stuff like this because I know there are plenty of guys on here that have climbed this mountain more times than me! I just hope that they can't stand it and will keep us straight. That being said, a quick search in the forum on this topic will amuse you for a long time. Those 3 leaf springs are still available somewhere. They tell you that you can use your existing perches, but when you see the gap between the shock plate it is disturbing! The kit you will need will include the lengthened U-bolts, some type of pads and the all-important spacers. Be prepared to throw the rubber pads away, drill the shock plate centering holes to a larger size and wonder if you couldn't have made those expensive spacers yourself!

Stand back and admire your work - try to remember if you torqued everything back correctly - and wonder if the back end is just a little too high!

Scott

68 Camaro Convertible Turbo Thrift 250 Powerglide
63 Pontiac Catalina 389 Roto Hydromatic
84 Chrysler Lebaron Convertible

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 18, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Daral

Like all of us, it will eventually sag with old age.
bigblockragtop likes this.

Daral (67 RS/SS 350)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode