Could the leaf springs under my 69 camaro be the wrong ones?? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 18, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rick

Could the leaf springs under my 69 camaro be the wrong ones??

Hello gents...I recently obtained a 69 camaro (SS clone). It has the mono leaf springs and 10 bolt axle. The back tires on the car are 275-60-15. The tires do not rub except for the occasional hard bump. The wheel/tire do not sit centered in the wheel well. I know I can go to a 255 tire, but I would like to keep the 275's under there. There is roughly approximately 5/8" gap from the back (tread side) of the tire to the wheel well...there is approximately 2 1/2" from the front of the tire to the wheel well. From what I have been looking at as far as the rear leaf springs they should be 25" from the center of the spring eye to the center of the pin on the front part of the spring and 31" from the spring eye to the pin at the rear of the spring. When I measure mine, along the spring not pulled straight from eye to pin, I get 26" in the front of the spring and 30" in the rear. Could the previous owner put the wrong springs under there? According to my math (fingers and toes) if the 25"/31" springs were under there the tire would be at least pretty close to centered and I would have plenty of room all around and the 275's would not rub at all. Does anyone know if there is a standard size leaf springs measuring 26"/30" for some other model and the privious owner installed the wrong ones. If it is that the springs are the wrong ones, I'm thinking about replacing them with a 3 leaf multi leaf springs...Thanks for any info or suggestions.

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 18, 02:36 PM
Tech Team
Donnie

Re: Could the leaf springs under my 69 camaro be the wrong ones??

I believe the Chevy measurement is supposed to be 25" from front eye to the pin. Chrysler cars were 21" from front eye to the pin. The dirt track where I worked had us checking the measurements on the leaf springs as it was an advantage to put the Chrysler springs in.

Camaro Donnie
1969 RS/SS Black 4 Speed Camaro Coupe
390 Gears with 410 CI small block
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 18, 04:32 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Welcome, Rick, to the Club.
Yes, tire should be centered about wheel opening.
Quarter panels have not been replaced?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 18, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rick

Near as I can tell Everett, The panels have not been replaced. I was under there last weekend and did not see any sign of replacement. I will check it out again this weekend. The springs are not the original ones. Newer mono leafs. Bushings look good too.

Rick
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 18, 05:25 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

You might go to Eaton Spring and read if the dimensions are listed for model.
Maybe another member here has dimensions.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 18, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rick

All the spring manufacture sites list the 25 front and 31 back lenghts for the 1st gen camero. Mine seem to be that 1" too long in the front pushing the axle/tire back in the wheel well. A new set of springs with the 25/31 measurements will not break the bank so maybe I'll order a set after I check out a few more things under the car.

Rick
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 18, 01:21 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Rick, New leaf springs may effect the drive shaft length. Someone may have lengthened it for the springs that are in the car now.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 18, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rick

Good point allan. I'll check out the slip yoke and some dimensions there too.

Rick
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 18, 05:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

Is the rear end in the car? Are you sure you are not measuring to a sheared pin? Is it the same on both sides?
Many moons ago I had a sheared pin on one side that misaligned the wheel. On my 68 I ended up installing used 69 multi leafs and straightened everything up. Sat too high which I fixed but that is another story.

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 18, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rick

Yes, the rear end is in the car. Both side measure the same so I don't think it's a sheared pin. I did find a stamped number on one of the springs X432B...anyone know anything about that spring. I tried an internet search but nothing came up for a spring with that #.

rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode