1st Gen Mono Leaf spring problem - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 18, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
david

1st Gen Mono Leaf spring problem

I've got a few posts here........cause I'm a newbie.

68 with mono leaf.....left spring was broken at the front mount.....literally broken (found the noise when the brakes were applied).

Anyway, ordered a set from Ricks/Ecklers ......and you might already know what's coming. The rear end sits way high.....like an old school jacked up rear. I sent pictures and customer service said they'd make it right. Anyone know a reliable co. or brand that doesn't have this issue??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 18, 04:36 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: 1st Gen Mono Leaf spring problem

Heartbeat City, National Parts Depot, Tamrz (ebay)
Any spring made by Eaton. JC Whitney used to sell a 3-leaf direct replacement and installed with no pads.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 18, 05:20 AM
Apprentice
Natty

Garage

My 69 Camaro had mono leafs too. I din't like the way it drive so I was looking for new springs. A friend of mine told me that I should order some lowering springs that the car doesn't lift up at the rear. So after a little bit of research I decided to buy a sportspring 1,5 drop kit from hotchkis. I'm very satisfied with that kit, it contained stronger mounting hardware too and the car performes so much better. Also the rear sits perfect for my taste

- 69 Camaro Z/28 Tribute -

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 18, 07:18 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Did you tighten the shackle bolts with the car on the ground after a damn good shake down ? If not, crack the bolts loose and give it a try. Did you replace with mono's or multi's ?

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 18, 08:01 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Stink bug stance is due to the fact that you ordered new springs that were not broken.

Springs sag with age, so your car is sitting in the back and front down an inch and a half to two inches lower than it did when it left the factory. To get to the sagging height you have now you have to order lowering springs.

The factory bought their springs from either Eaton or Moog (OEM back in the sixties). Both are still making service repair parts (such as springs) for your car today, but you have to order the right part as they offer a lot of choices. David Pozzi has posted on his web site a copy of the Eaton spring catalog with recommendations for improvements over the factory originals in terms of improving handling. Here is a link to his site:

Pozziracing.com

Big Dave
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 18, 11:02 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

If you call or email Eaton Detroit Spring, Mike will give you plenty of information and options. I believe they offer a 3-leaf pack that retrofits to a mono perch plus they have new mono springs. Pretty sure he recommends the mono over the 3-pack.

Mike told me that you can measure the approximate height of the current rear spring by checking the space between the top of the axle tube and the frame rail directly above it. Once you have that measurement, he can build you a new custom spring pack to raise or lower the car from that point.

As noted above, many people install leaf springs with the car jacked up and tighten everything which can possibly bind things up. First thing I would do is loosen the bolts in the front rear hangers a little and let the car down off the jack. Then tighten to spec and see what happens after you've driven around.

'69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, 030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed, Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition
CompCams XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads, PYPES Full 3" SS Exhaust, Hooker Comp Headers, Wilwood Calipers/MC
JGC Steering Box, Helix Uppers/Lowers, ProForged BJs, SpeedHut Gauges, MOMO Steering Wheel, Budnik 17" Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode