2Likes
  • 1 Post By zboss86
  • 1 Post By slazisme

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 18, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Shad

rear brake lines

New rearend housing, new Wilwood brakes with parking brake, question on running brake lines and parking brake lines...

I've run my front brake lines, now I'm running the back. I've been using 3/16" nicop with inverted flares so far. I'm assuming I need to run hard line to the back. Then a flex line for differential travel to the axle housing. There needs to be a T fitting that's mounted to the housing and then hard lines out to the calipers? At least that's what I recall on the old drums...

However, I'd like to have flex lines at the end by the rear calipers so I can change out brake pads and pull the axles easily. Is it uncommon to run flex line all the way down the axles tube from the T? Or is that too much flex line, just curious... Thought it may eliminate a couple joints.

Next, I need parking brake lines from my brakes to my main parking brake cable mount on the rear frame. Wilwood sales a universal for hand brake kit with like a 10' line, so that's out.

Pics below for reference....
Don't make fun of the baby brakes, I needed to be able to fit 15" wheels for the drag strip.
image by zboss86, on Flickr

Here's the location I need the parking brake to run too...

Here's the parking brake style.

My Mistress rebuild...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 18, 05:24 AM
Senior Tech
Don

Re: rear brake lines

I would not run flex the entire length of the rear end. Canít recall ever seeing it done...

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1969 Z28 factory air project
- sold
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 18, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Shad

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
I would not run flex the entire length of the rear end. Canít recall ever seeing it done...

Don
I've seen it on several... I've also seen muffler pipe used as a cage, but it doesn't mean it needs to be done...lol I'll probably use a 12" piece of flex on each end by the calipers.
dhutton likes this.

My Mistress rebuild...

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 18, 07:03 AM
Senior Tech
Simon

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss86 View Post
New rearend housing, new Wilwood brakes with parking brake, question on running brake lines and parking brake lines...

I've run my front brake lines, now I'm running the back. I've been using 3/16" nicop with inverted flares so far. I'm assuming I need to run hard line to the back. Then a flex line for differential travel to the axle housing. There needs to be a T fitting that's mounted to the housing and then hard lines out to the calipers? At least that's what I recall on the old drums...

However, I'd like to have flex lines at the end by the rear calipers so I can change out brake pads and pull the axles easily. Is it uncommon to run flex line all the way down the axles tube from the T? Or is that too much flex line, just curious... Thought it may eliminate a couple joints.

Next, I need parking brake lines from my brakes to my main parking brake cable mount on the rear frame. Wilwood sales a universal for hand brake kit with like a 10' line, so that's out.

Pics below for reference....
Don't make fun of the baby brakes, I needed to be able to fit 15" wheels for the drag strip.

Here's the location I need the parking brake to run too...

Here's the parking brake style.

I'm going to convert my back brakes to LS1 this spring, I have this cable to utilize with the rest of the factory cables. I haven't done it yet but seems to work out based on the measurements of the stock ones.
Dorman C661107
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...=6690904&jsn=3
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 18, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Shad

Quote:
Originally Posted by slazisme View Post
I'm going to convert my back brakes to LS1 this spring, I have this cable to utilize with the rest of the factory cables. I haven't done it yet but seems to work out based on the measurements of the stock ones.
Dorman C661107
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...=6690904&jsn=3
I used the LS1 brakes upfront and I would have done that in a heartbeat in the rear if the 15" wheel selection wasn't limited. But I do have access to some those factory cables. I may have to go rob them off the parts car next time I'm around my buddy's house to see if they'll work. They both utilize the internal parking brake style.

My Mistress rebuild...

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 18, 07:18 AM
Senior Tech
Simon

Garage

Shad, the cables I mentioned are from a Ford F150 truck 2005, I believe the LS1 cables attach from the rear of the car and are longer. Hey whatever works best for you.
zboss86 likes this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 18, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Shad

Quote:
Originally Posted by slazisme View Post
Shad, the cables I mentioned are from a Ford F150 truck 2005, I believe the LS1 cables attach from the rear of the car and are longer. Hey whatever works best for you.
gotcha, I missed that...

My Mistress rebuild...

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 18, 08:02 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jonathon

Check your pm Shad

68 Resto-Mod in progress..355sbc .350 Trans Rushforth wheels
My Build:
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old May 6th, 18, 05:53 AM
Probationer
Ragged69

Garage

I am in the middle of the LS1 rear brake swap on my '69 Camaro and read somewhere that you can turn the lever and the internals around on the parking brake lever on on the drivers side; Assuming that you have installed left side backing plates on both sides, in order to make them both pull from the front. I took the mechanism apart, but the lever did not seem to be reversible. Any suggestions? I realize I will loose the use of the star wheel retension clip, but i can overcome that.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old May 6th, 18, 06:09 AM
Senior Tech
mike

I have the same exact setup, hard line from the master to flex line to a t on the rear and hard from there. 13 years still work fine. I did however use the emergency brake cable and pull handle, was not worried about stock look since my 6 speed zf shifter is offset of original. The brakes are great the emergency brakes hold the car so it doesn't roll during starting but I would not trust them in an emergency.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old May 6th, 18, 06:37 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

This thread has details of the parking brake install of rear LS1 brakes.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/16-bra...-pictures.html

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:

Member # 159
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old May 6th, 18, 11:40 AM
Probationer
Ragged69

Garage

Thanks Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode