Steering Wheel Fit - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 18, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Probationer
Steve

Steering Wheel Fit

Hi,

I am new to this as I just bought my first vintage car (so looking for any help I can get), 67 RS convertible 327. One of the first changes is replacing the steering wheel as it has an impala wheel on it just for transport. The replacement steering wheel we chose (GE certified wood Wheel) makes it almost impossible to slide into the car, as the wheel is very close to the seat. Is this normal or could something else be causing this that we are missing.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 18, 01:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage
Re: Steering Wheel Fit

Whats the diameter of the "GE" wheel you installed? My OEM wheel is boxed and in storage or I'd measure mine LOL. And do you have a tilt column... maybe stuck in the down position? Even a stock steering wheel has more than enough room for an average-sized adult to slide behind the wheel. The original Gen1 steering wheels are a bit large and thin by todays standards. Another consideration is whether you are trying to restore the car to OEM specs or you're just interested in putting a nice, comfortable wheel in the car. Pictures would help.

'69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, 030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed, Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition
CompCams XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads, PYPES Full 3" SS Exhaust, Hooker Comp Headers, Wilwood Calipers/MC
JGC Steering Box, Helix Uppers/Lowers, ProForged BJs, SpeedHut Gauges, MOMO Steering Wheel, Budnik 17" Wheels
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 18, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Probationer
Steve

There is no tilt on the column. The wheel is 16" but I am thinking of going down to a 14" and not worry about the OEM part unless I end up selling or showing.

I will get some pics next weekend, we have the wheel back off to work on the dash and instruments.

Thanks for the insight!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 18, 08:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

Steve...

I did a complete write up on my conversion from a stock wheel to a MOMO D36 which is a little over 14" and its a sticky right now, but because of Photobucket, all the pix are gone. I'm in the process of re-doing the thread, and when I do, the pix will be hosted by IMGUR. Here's what it looks like... and yes, I did a whole dash insert, SpeedHut gauges, matching carbon fiber console and grab bar panel.

I'm still not done... have the dash out again, new AC dash pad, and Vintage Air project. Little bit at a time LOL.

'69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, 030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed, Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition
CompCams XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads, PYPES Full 3" SS Exhaust, Hooker Comp Headers, Wilwood Calipers/MC
JGC Steering Box, Helix Uppers/Lowers, ProForged BJs, SpeedHut Gauges, MOMO Steering Wheel, Budnik 17" Wheels
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 18, 10:24 PM
Senior Tech
Tom Anderson

Garage

I am 6 ft tall and my 67 had the stock wheel which is 16 inches I am tell ya it's tight behind the wheel . So I just changed the wheel to s 13.5 and I made seat track extenders and what a huge difference now I have some room to enjoy driving the car
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 18, 09:12 PM
Probationer
Alex

Garage
I used a volante series 9 it’s 14” I’m 6’3 so I know that feeling. Volante has plenty of cool horn buttons to match styles. Went with the 67 lettering Camaro for mine it’s perfect.

67 RS 327 Original Everything
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 18, 10:00 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

camaros.org/steering-wheel

To quote in part camaros-dot-org, "The same steering wheel was standard on the 1967 Chevrolet full-sized cars".

Jon N

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 18, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Probationer
Steve

Thanks for the advice and input! I managed to work with the wheel and it looks great, but now on to why none of my gauges are working right... Always chasing something! Thanks again.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 18, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Probationer
Steve

This looks great!! Nice work and thanks for sending this along!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode