Using Cadillac Style rear disc brakes? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 18, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: New England/Western Mass
Posts: 652
Garage
Using Cadillac Style rear disc brakes?

I'm thinking about converting the rear brakes to discs... been seeing these rear disc kits for 67-69 Camaros and Firebirds that use the caliper for the emergency brake.



Wondered how many people have used similar kits or put together their own setup using Trans Am parts and Cadillac parts plus some brackets.

'69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, 030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed, Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition
CompCams XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads, PYPES Full 3" SS Exhaust, Hooker Comp Headers, Wilwood Calipers/MC
JGC Steering Box, Helix Uppers/Lowers, ProForged BJs, SpeedHut Gauges, MOMO Steering Wheel, Budnik 17" Wheels
57vette is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 18, 09:28 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 3,079
Re: Using Cadillac Style rear disc brakes?

I remember when that style first came out in the 80's. I worked on lots of Rivieras at the Buick dealership with those rear disc brakes. Worked on even more, both Buick and Cadillac, at my shop later on. Perhaps they have since been improved since that early design. I have no experience with any of the kits, or with any of this type after about 87.

They worked fine for folks who set the park brake every time they parked. For those who never used the park brake (i.e. 95% of the folks driving automatic trans cars) there were chronic low pedal issues. We tried repairing several of the rear calipers, but with limited success. Most of them required new calipers to fix the issue.
57vette likes this.

Lynn
bilodeaulynn is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 18, 09:55 AM
Team Member
Don
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mountain Springs, Texas
Posts: 3,460
Re: Using Cadillac Style rear disc brakes?

Very poor option imho. Check out LS1 rear brakes from fourth gen F bodies. Easy to adapt and much better operation and parking brake. Spacer plates are around $40. Used brakes are easy to find.

Don
57vette likes this.

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
dhutton is online now  
 
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 18, 04:01 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris
 
ckaram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Indiana
Posts: 998
Garage
Re: Using Cadillac Style rear disc brakes?

Mine worked for a few years; manual trans and always set the E-brake. Then trouble and couldn't get replacement calipers to work after a lot of labor hours. Finally bailed and went Wilwood. I wouldn't do it.

Check my rides:

1968 Camaro Convertible LS1, T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Challenger RT Scat Pack Shaker
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ckaram is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 18, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: New England/Western Mass
Posts: 652
Garage
Re: Using Cadillac Style rear disc brakes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
Very poor option imho. Check out LS1 rear brakes from fourth gen F bodies. Easy to adapt and much better operation and parking brake. Spacer plates are around $40. Used brakes are easy to find.

Don
Thanks for the advice Don. This is pretty much a DIY deal with minimal expense. I'm seeing bundles like the one pictured below on eBay for just under $200 shipped. Its listed as:

93-97 Camaro SS Z28 Firebird Trans Am WS6 LT1 11" Rear Brake Kit 1107-12

Since I've got staggered shocks, do those $40 brackets you mentioned resolve the problem of mounting? I'm running 17" wheels now... probably will not go back to the 15" X 8" rally wheels. Has anyone done a pictorial on here showing the installation and parts that are needed? The 2nd picture shows a bundle thats supposedly a Saturn setup... no rotors. Don't know if thats the same or just a lower end model brake.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ls1-Rears-3.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	287.5 KB
ID:	211473   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ls1-Rears-4.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	226.6 KB
ID:	211481  

'69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, 030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed, Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition
CompCams XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads, PYPES Full 3" SS Exhaust, Hooker Comp Headers, Wilwood Calipers/MC
JGC Steering Box, Helix Uppers/Lowers, ProForged BJs, SpeedHut Gauges, MOMO Steering Wheel, Budnik 17" Wheels
57vette is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 18, 04:14 AM
Team Member
Don
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mountain Springs, Texas
Posts: 3,460
Re: Using Cadillac Style rear disc brakes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57vette View Post
Thanks for the advice Don. This is pretty much a DIY deal with minimal expense. I'm seeing bundles like the one pictured below on eBay for just under $200 shipped. Its listed as:

93-97 Camaro SS Z28 Firebird Trans Am WS6 LT1 11" Rear Brake Kit 1107-12

Since I've got staggered shocks, do those $40 brackets you mentioned resolve the problem of mounting? I'm running 17" wheels now... probably will not go back to the 15" X 8" rally wheels. Has anyone done a pictorial on here showing the installation and parts that are needed? The 2nd picture shows a bundle thats supposedly a Saturn setup... no rotors. Don't know if thats the same or just a lower end model brake.
Pretty sure you want 98-02 brakes.

There are some good threads on this forum on how to do the swap and account for staggered shocks.

If you donít want to do all the DIY then Tobin at Kore3 can set you up with a similar Corvette based set up:

KORE3 Industries LLC: On and Off-Road Performance Automotive Components

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
dhutton is online now  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 18, 06:28 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew
 
Andrew69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Greenwood, SC
Posts: 5,562
Re: Using Cadillac Style rear disc brakes?

Here is the discussion of the LS1 rear brakes on our Camaros. BPOS did it as did I. Unfortunately many of the photos no longer show.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/16-bra...-pictures.html

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member # 159
Andrew69 is online now  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 18, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: New England/Western Mass
Posts: 652
Garage
Re: Using Cadillac Style rear disc brakes?

So there is no "DIY" disc brake alternative to the ls1 98-02 brakes that will allow you to use 15" wheels? My car is not an automatic, is always parked in a garage, and in addition to using my emergency brake, I almost always park my car in gear when out at a car show or cruise night... or just even going to the ice cream store with the grandkids.

'69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, 030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed, Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition
CompCams XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads, PYPES Full 3" SS Exhaust, Hooker Comp Headers, Wilwood Calipers/MC
JGC Steering Box, Helix Uppers/Lowers, ProForged BJs, SpeedHut Gauges, MOMO Steering Wheel, Budnik 17" Wheels
57vette is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 18, 06:05 PM
Moderator
John
 
Vega$69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Vegas NV/Wesley Chapel FL
Posts: 12,220
Garage
Re: Using Cadillac Style rear disc brakes?

Tobin is the man when it comes to brakes 👍

Iíve work with him on several builds.
H20cooled likes this.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
Vega$69 is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 18, 06:24 PM
Senior Tech
Al
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Vancouver, USA
Posts: 10,511
Re: Using Cadillac Style rear disc brakes?

S-10 rear discs will fit under 15" wheels and are very similar to the 98-02 Camaro brakes. Drum in hat park brake, similar calipers etc. It's been over 10 years since I messed with this stuff and I forget the details, but there is a difference between 2WD and 4WD stuff and I forget which will work or if it's a mix of the two. Dig around - the info is out there, or used to be!

I think the rear kit Right Stuff sells are based off of those Caddy parts. I helped a friend install them on a 65 Chevelle. They pretty much suck.

Of the 2 photos you posted the set on the right looks like what's called the "LS1" - 90-02. The other set is early 4th gen f-body and the park brake isn't very good.
57vette likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BPOS is offline  
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 18, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: New England/Western Mass
Posts: 652
Garage
Re: Using Cadillac Style rear disc brakes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post
S-10 rear discs will fit under 15" wheels and are very similar to the 98-02 Camaro brakes. Drum in hat park brake, similar calipers etc. It's been over 10 years since I messed with this stuff and I forget the details, but there is a difference between 2WD and 4WD stuff and I forget which will work or if it's a mix of the two. Dig around - the info is out there, or used to be!

I think the rear kit Right Stuff sells are based off of those Caddy parts. I helped a friend install them on a 65 Chevelle. They pretty much suck.

Of the 2 photos you posted the set on the right looks like what's called the "LS1" - 90-02. The other set is early 4th gen f-body and the park brake isn't very good.
Thanks... I'll look into the S10 brake option and see what I come up with. And yeah... I looked at the Right Stuff basic rear discs and they all have that side mounted parking deal. If money was no object, I'm sure there are plenty of options... I just want basic rear discs and a parking brake that works like it should.

Just baffled that if that side-mounted parking brake was so bad... how did GM ever approve its use for so long? No lawsuits, no cars rolling away and crashing?

'69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, 030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed, Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition
CompCams XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads, PYPES Full 3" SS Exhaust, Hooker Comp Headers, Wilwood Calipers/MC
JGC Steering Box, Helix Uppers/Lowers, ProForged BJs, SpeedHut Gauges, MOMO Steering Wheel, Budnik 17" Wheels
57vette is offline  
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 18, 06:39 AM
Moderator
John
 
Vega$69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Vegas NV/Wesley Chapel FL
Posts: 12,220
Garage
Re: Using Cadillac Style rear disc brakes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57vette View Post
Thanks... I'll look into the S10 brake option and see what I come up with. And yeah... I looked at the Right Stuff basic rear discs and they all have that side mounted parking deal. If money was no object, I'm sure there are plenty of options... I just want basic rear discs and a parking brake that works like it should.

Just baffled that if that side-mounted parking brake was so bad... how did GM ever approve its use for so long? No lawsuits, no cars rolling away and crashing?
I've done a couple of Right Stuff rear disc conversions with no issues. you need to adjust the parking brake before you bleed the calipers.
Vega$69 is offline  
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 18, 07:08 AM
Team Member
Darin
 
ilikeike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Stanislaus Co. Ca.
Posts: 1,337
Re: Using Cadillac Style rear disc brakes?

I have that type,with the caliper E-brake. They came with my 9" rear so price was right,otherwise I would have matched my Wilwood fronts. They do work...
But since it was my first experience with them they were a PITA to set up, it took me a couple of days fiddling with them and figuring out the ratcheting e-brake set up procedure.

Next time I have to touch them for any maintenance,they will be going in the trash.

I would not waste my time on them again. But like I said, price was right and they work...

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70 US Gear Lightning r&p
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ilikeike is offline  
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 18, 07:09 AM
Senior Tech
Al
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Vancouver, USA
Posts: 10,511
Re: Using Cadillac Style rear disc brakes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
I've done a couple of Right Stuff rear disc conversions with no issues. you need to adjust the parking brake before you bleed the calipers.
I might have been a bit harsh - I remember thinking the park brake/caliper deal was kinda hokey. Also remember that you have to remove a caliper bolt and level the caliper in order to bleed.

Here's the info I remember about the S-10 swap. It's on a 2nd gen. S10-Blazer rear disc conversion | NastyZ28.com


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BPOS is offline  
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 18, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: New England/Western Mass
Posts: 652
Garage
Re: Using Cadillac Style rear disc brakes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post
I might have been a bit harsh - I remember thinking the park brake/caliper deal was kinda hokey. Also remember that you have to remove a caliper bolt and level the caliper in order to bleed.

Here's the info I remember about the S-10 swap. It's on a 2nd gen. S10-Blazer rear disc conversion | NastyZ28.com
Thanks for the link Al. I read through the entire thread, and this morning I sent an email off to Woddy (Eric) for some advice and long-term opinion. The S10 mechanics kind of appeal to me more than the RightStuff setup, but I've heard a lot of people do run the RS setups with no big issues once they figure everything out.

'69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, 030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed, Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition
CompCams XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads, PYPES Full 3" SS Exhaust, Hooker Comp Headers, Wilwood Calipers/MC
JGC Steering Box, Helix Uppers/Lowers, ProForged BJs, SpeedHut Gauges, MOMO Steering Wheel, Budnik 17" Wheels
57vette is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome