Cardone power steering box - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 20th, 18, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Cardone power steering box

So I had a leak in my steering box. I bought a remanufactured one by cardine. The box is 2.5 turns lock to lock. Where the lines attach it has what looks like adapters. They look like a regular flair, but my pressure line leaks now. The return line is dry. Has anyone come across a box with extensions, or adapters? I have not removed them because I'm not sure if the box was stripped, or if it is a later box. Thanks for any input.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 20th, 18, 06:39 PM
Tech Team
Donnie

Re: Cardone power steering box

There should be a brass flare in the power side of the pump. I got another box and it leaked fluid. I moved the nut and put the end of the pipe in a flaring tool. It was just a little off but re-flaring the end of the pipe fixed my leak and it has not come back. If you need a different adapter, call Cardone. They sent me the adapter that I needed and was missing from box. They shipped it to me within 2 days free of charge.

Camaro Donnie
1969 RS/SS Black 4 Speed Camaro Coupe
390 Gears with 410 CI small block
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 20th, 18, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Thank you. My original did not have an adapter, and the line did not leak before. Wondering if the adapter is for the "O" ring line.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 20th, 18, 07:48 PM
Tech Team
Donnie

Re: Cardone power steering box

If you have the line with a bubble on the end of it you will have to remove the flare adapter that is in the box now from what you stated. The OE line should be a flare fitting end. There is another kind with the bubble close to the end with an O ring. You will need to pull the flare fitting but do not do that without checking for sure take pictures of the line and go to parts house or send in here. The flare adapter can be threaded with a 1/4 " tap. After tapping get fender washers to span the top and use a 1/4" bolt to thread into the adapter and it will pull it right out!

Camaro Donnie
1969 RS/SS Black 4 Speed Camaro Coupe
390 Gears with 410 CI small block
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 21st, 18, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Thank you. I do have the regular flair fitting. My line is an OE line going to a banjo style pump. Going to take it off again and look at it a little closer.

X-77 keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode