• 1 Post By allanjs
  • 1 Post By Matt 69

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 18, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Ray

Garage
Master cylinder leaking

I noticed a decrease in effectiveness with my factory drums brakes. When I checked the master cylinder brake fluid level I found the rear compartment about a third low with the front compartment about full. The main body of the master cylinder is wet with fluid and noticeable brake fluid drops on the short tubes and valve below.
Question is; can I just replace the master cylinder cover gasket? Or, should I go with a new cover & gasket, new snap cover wire, or possibly a whole rebuilding kit? NOS parts, new parts? And what vendors have the best parts, or can I go to Rock Auto, Heartbeat City, NPR...etc?
And then, keep in mind that sooner or later I want to change over to a power disc kit. But for now I need to stop the leaking.
I did check all lines and found no trace of a leak except at the master cylinder.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

'68 rs/SS 350 M-21 posi
numbers matching
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 18, 06:46 AM
Senior Tech
Camarodude67

Re: Master cylinder leaking

Its really cheap to replace, Napa/Autozone has them for 40.00 bucks, as you know just bench bleed and install.

Jeff G.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 18, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Ray

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarodude67 View Post
Its really cheap to replace, Napa/Autozone has them for 40.00 bucks, as you know just bench bleed and install.

Jeff G.
Thanks Jeff,
Why are you saying to replace the whole unit? How about replacing just the gasket, since I want to go to disc later.

'68 rs/SS 350 M-21 posi
numbers matching

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 18, 09:20 AM
Senior Tech
Camarodude67

A new dual drum master cylinder comes with new cover and rubber gasket for 40.00 or 45.00. Unless you are using a different master cylinder for drum brakes? I cant see your configuration/car...

The cap/rubber cover is 25.00 and you cant buy that at the local store, so better off just buying the complete master cylinder which is always the culprit in my experience..
rgwiz likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 18, 09:32 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Ray, I think you're going to have trouble finding the gasket with out paying ~$20 shipped. Gaskets for drum brakes seem hard to find except through the Camaro vendors like HBC ($$). As Jeff said you can get the complete master for ~$40 or less. Here's a Dorman for $30 + shipping.
https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts...ad=47433966132
rgwiz likes this.

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 18, 09:34 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Ray, go the the "help" section at your local auto parts store and look for the rubber cover insert there. Not all stores may carry it, but it is available for under ten dollars. Those rubber covers swell and deteriorate over time. No need to replace the whole master cylinder unless it is leaking past the seals on the main piston.
rgwiz likes this.

1969 SS Garnet Red X55 350 Factory 4 speed
12 Bolt 3.55 Posi
461 BBC TKO600
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 18, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Ray

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt 69 View Post
Ray, go the the "help" section at your local auto parts store and look for the rubber cover insert there. Not all stores may carry it, but it is available for under ten dollars. Those rubber covers swell and deteriorate over time. No need to replace the whole master cylinder unless it is leaking past the seals on the main piston.
Interesting, as well as all the other comments. I know nothing about master cylinders and have never held one in my hands. That's why I am hesitant to remove mine. I guess there's a first time for everything.
My NAPA does have the new (rebuilt) unit in stock. As all have said under $50 and it's local so no shipping. I did check Ebay and there are a few ads for the gasket (NOS free shipping) or new offering whole master cylinders. However the prices are all over the place. I'm thinking to stay away from NOS since they are probably dried out like the one that is causing the leak. As far as the other ads, I can't figure why these guys are all over the place with pricing.
I think it's time to apply the 24 hour rule and think of the best way to fix this. My next cruise night is not until Tuesday.

'68 rs/SS 350 M-21 posi
numbers matching
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode