Good replacement front shocks for 69 BB convertible - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 18, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Good replacement front shocks for 69 BB convertible

Let me start off by saying that the front shocks on my 69 convertible are SHOT. I can feel the car laying over around curves, and it definitely dips and undulates when I go over hills in the road. So most likely just installing any new shock will make an improvement. That being said, I have been doing a little research before I buy new ones. I see some folks who like the Koni Classic adjustables, others who just went with garden variety Monroe hydraulic or gas shocks. Sounds like the general consensus is that the KYB gas shocks are too stiff (although I had a set way back in the 80's on a 76 Camaro and liked them.) So I guess I am looking for some additional input. Car is completely stock, with about 75K miles on the original suspension (everything seems to be tight and in good shape). Since everything is stock, I can't really justify spending a bunch of money on some fancy shocks. I'm real tempted to just go with a set of Monroe gas shocks like you can get at the local auto parts store, but I am wondering if I actually want something a little stiffer considering that this is a big block convertible, so there is considerably more weight on the front tires with the bigger engine and the cocktail shakers throwing in an extra 100 lbs over the nose. For the most part, I like the way the car rides now - it is smooth and quiet. It's just on the curves and dips in the roads where it needs some help.

OK TC, I am listening. Thanks in advance for the help!

1967 RS/SS 350 Conv - triple black, 4sp, tach & gauges

1969 VN-built RS/SS 396 Conv - Garnet Red/Black, 4-sp, tach & gauges
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 18, 08:58 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage
Re: Good replacement front shocks for 69 BB convertible

Tom... I have some pretty generic (newer) shocks in the front, and no, the front end isn't stock (Helix U/L control arms, Hotchkis springs, ProForged BJs/steering parts) but the biggest improvement came with the installation of a 1.125" Helwig front sway bar. And yes, it's a big block (461) and I still might consider some adjustable shocks down the road, but right now I'm more focused on building a new rear end package.

I'd probably agree that a decent set of shocks like the Monroes would be a big improvement. Don't know how hung up you are on "correctness" but if you like flatter cornering... the big sway bar is pretty amazing.

'69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, 030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed, Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition
CompCams XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads, PYPES Full 3" SS Exhaust, Hooker Comp Headers, Wilwood Calipers/MC
JGC Steering Box, Helix Uppers/Lowers, ProForged BJs, SpeedHut Gauges, MOMO Steering Wheel, Budnik 17" Wheels
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 18, 09:25 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Might be a spring issue. If I recall the shock just controls the continuous up and down motion after the dip. The spring may have lost some if its original strength. Even with low miles, the car weight is always on the spring even when the car is parked. I am also looking into new shocks for my Z. I have a small block though. One of mine is leaking. I see KYB makes a regular shock for the front, and a heavy duty set as well. Hopefully someone here will chime in on my theory , and the KYB. Differences.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 18, 01:04 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Tom, I'm a Gabriel fan from way back. In the day these cars were just daily drivers Gabriel was our go to shock. Ultra I believe is their best shock. Front number is 69600. I have had some trouble with Monroe's over the years. Most recent was on my Silverado. One front and one rear froze. They were only 2 yrs. old. Here's a link to Gabriel's at Summit for one supplier.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gab-69600

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 18, 03:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Beth

Tom,

I agree with Mike. Shocks and a big front sway bar will fix it.

I just ordered this 1-1/8" sway bar a few days ago; looks like a great deal

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-1969-C...72.m2749.l2649

They have sold a bunch of these. And I think I will get some of those gabriel shocks too
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 18, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Well, the rest of the car is so untouched and original that I am a little hesitant to put an aftermarket sway bar on the car. Granted, that is something that can be easily switched back, but I think I will start with shocks and see if that is enough of an improvement. But the big sway bar is intriguing - a buddy of mine installed a big 1 1/8" bar on his Cutlass that we robbed off of a late 70's WS6 Trans Am, and it made an amazing difference.

Does anyone think I would want a stiffer front shock in consideration of all the weight on the front end of the car? Something like the KYB Gas-A-Just? Or would these result in a harsh ride? I am pretty satisfied with the overall ride - just would like it a little more firm in the corners.

Thanks for the replies! You sure can't beat the price of the Gabriels.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 18, 09:29 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

I have an all original 69 RSSS, I replaced the shocks, all 4 with Gabriel HD gas shocks and added the larger sway bar. No one will tell the difference in the 1/2" larger bar. A much improved ride and not stiff like the high priced shocks, which I have never been impressed with for the extra bucks, I already have one of those and the ride is like a off road truck! Check the A frame bushing as time might have worn those as well.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 18, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Camaro Guy View Post
I have an all original 69 RSSS, I replaced the shocks, all 4 with Gabriel HD gas shocks and added the larger sway bar. No one will tell the difference in the 1/2" larger bar. A much improved ride and not stiff like the high priced shocks, which I have never been impressed with for the extra bucks, I already have one of those and the ride is like a off road truck! Check the A frame bushing as time might have worn those as well.
Bruce, do you have a PN for the fronts? Pretty much ruled out the KYB's based on complaints about stiff ride. Probably going with a set of the Gabriels.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 18, 11:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSSSfanatic View Post
Bruce, do you have a PN for the fronts? Pretty much ruled out the KYB's based on complaints about stiff ride. Probably going with a set of the Gabriels.
Al posted the link :

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gab-69600
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 18, 01:36 PM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Garage

Maybe I can offer a different opinion: I have a mostly stock '69 RS SB, the front springs were replaced before me with I thing stock Moog replacements, same for rears. I replaced the stock sway bar with Helwig 1 1/8" and KYB Gas Adjust shocks all around. This was done in the 90's and really only got to drive the car in the last couple of years. I've read all the negative on the KYB's and it got me thinking I should replace them. The more I drive the car the more I like the setup, it corners flat and the ride is firm but comfortable, not harsh. The stock seats are not up to what the car's handling is capable of. It's not a long distance trip car, just a fun car to take out on a drive.

My '69 RS Primer driver project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode