Master cylinder recommendation? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 18, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Probationer
Miles

Master cylinder recommendation?

Hi
I am putting discs on the front of a 67 that I just bought. The car currently has manual drums all around, and a nom 396. It does not stop. For now I will leave the drums on the back. The front rotors will be C4 13". The calipers will be twin 40.5mm piston. So, a little bigger than the C4 pistons. I am looking for a booster to fit, will probably use something from the junk yard and make up an angle bracket.

Should I use the 1 1/8 disc/drum mc from the 67? I have read a few C4 HD upgrades where people were using late model 1" mc. I plan on adding an adjustable prop valve to limit pressure to the drums.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 18, 04:14 PM
Team Member
Don

Re: Master cylinder recommendation?

If you retain the rear drums you will need a residual pressure valve to keep 10 psi on the rear drum wheel cylinders. A prop valve really isnít needed imho.

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 18, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Probationer
Miles

That's what I like about the 67 disc/drum mc. I'm not all that knowledgeable on drum brakes, but I figure it probably will be ok without the prop valve. The original had a prop valve but it also had 4 48mm pistons on an 11" rotor? My understanding is I will not need as much pedal travel to build pressure in the calipers, so the rear cylinders shouldn't have as much pressure, less chance of locking them first. But again, I'm no mc or drum guru so I'm not entirely sure.

Any thoughts on the mc size?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 18, 07:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

I installed C5 front discs on my '69 retaining the rear drums and used a 1" MC. I installed a 10 psi residual pressure valve as Don suggests. I also replaced the non-adjustable proportioning valve with an adjustable one on the subframe.

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 18, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Probationer
Miles

Thanks Chris. I assume you used the C5 calipers, which are functionally identical to the Mustang calipers I have with 2*40.5mm pistons and 13" rotors.

Did you use a booster angled up like the stock 67 unit and the bottom hole on the pedal?

Thanks for your help!!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 18, 05:19 PM
Probationer

Master cylinder recommendation?

I know this is an older thread. I am looking for a 8Ē dual diaphram brake booster in black for my 67 camaro. I do not want a ugly brass or chrome one. If i cant find i may be forced to go with hydroboost. Any suggestions?

Last edited by LaneMyer; Jul 11th, 18 at 05:48 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 18, 06:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles B View Post
Thanks Chris. I assume you used the C5 calipers, which are functionally identical to the Mustang calipers I have with 2*40.5mm pistons and 13" rotors.

Did you use a booster angled up like the stock 67 unit and the bottom hole on the pedal?

Thanks for your help!!

Yes, I used C5 calipers with the 13" rotors. Since I had power front discs originally, I just swapped out the MC for (as I recall) a 1" manual MC (had to make a push rod extension for between the booster and the MC). I kept my original booster. The original configuration is angled up and I did not change this. As for what hole in the pedal, I did not change it when I swapped the MC's, I believe the push rod is connected to the pedal in the bottom hole.

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode