Power Steering Fluid - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 18, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Terry

Send a message via Yahoo to TJ's Destinity
Power Steering Fluid

I have a 1967 Camaro RS/SS with a 383 stroker. The power steering gear box is an AGR and the pump is a rebuilt from Classic Industries. My steering is harder than it should be with power steering which is why I am changing out the pump. Would like to get some opinions about power steering fluid, as to use regular or synthetic and what brand most people are using. I would appreciate your thoughts on this subject. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 18, 06:49 PM
Team Member
Don

re: Power Steering Fluid

AC Delco power steering fluid is highly recommended by a few folks I trust.

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 18, 06:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

I use ATF in old school pumps. Synthetic will possibly make your pump/box leak. Was told this by old mechanics and second by Cardone tech.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 18, 07:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

re: Power Steering Fluid

I use this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PS Steering.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	220631  

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 18, 07:36 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Re: Power Steering Fluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-77 keith View Post
I use ATF in old school pumps. Synthetic will possibly make your pump/box leak. Was told this by old mechanics and second by Cardone tech.
These myths of synthetic fluids causing leaks still get passed around?

If the seals are old, then any fluid installed will leak. Synthetic fluids will not create leaks. Synthetics have higher temp boiling points. AC Delco fluids are good stuff, so if you are afraid of synthetics (no need to be), then use AC Delco.

Never argue with an idiot; they'll only drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 18, 10:05 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

With over 30 years of working and building everything from Peterbuilts to Troybults , I respectfully disagree with you on the synthetic leak "myth".

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 18, 06:11 PM
David Pozzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-77 keith View Post

The Saginaw pump is a vane type pump. Vane pumps have a lot of sliding friction which requires a very good fluid. First gen Camaro pumps used GM type "A" Automatic transmission fluid which is more slippery than the "Type F" fluid Fords used. The Ford fluid was better at letting the clutch plates grab and was used by racers in GM transmissions. GM moved away from Transmission fluids in their pumps as pressures went up and the current fluids have higher friction reduction and are engineered specifically for your Saginaw pump.

The AGR pump needs more flow and more pressure than a stock First Gen pump. The flow control valve is what controls this, the pumps are mostly the same internally.

Camaro steering

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 18, 08:19 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Agree with Dave on adjusting the flow control valve (shims). You can find a how to on many 4x4 boards as they have to adjust flow volume (bigger pump) or flow pressure (flow control valve) with their ram assist power steering kits to move 44 inch tall by 28 inch wide tires.

You are talking about basically a 10 weight mineral oil called hydraulic fluid. When I had an old Ford Maverick with a leaky seal in the power steering ram I filled it daily from a gallon can of hydraulic fluid I bought at my John Deere dealership. The only thing different about ATF and Power steering fluid is the colored dye that they add so you can see it on the dip stick.

Big Dave
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 18, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Terry

Send a message via Yahoo to TJ's Destinity

Thanks guys for all your input. As an old school enthusiasts I am going to stick with the GM-AC Delco power steering fluid. If the power steering is still harsh after I replace the power steering pump I will look into the flow control valve. Again, thank you all for your input.
Terry

67 Camaro RS/SS
Marina Blue
383 Stroker
TREMAC 5-Speed
12 Bolt Posi - 373 gears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode