Brakes locking on - flex hoses? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 18, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Pat

Garage
Question Brakes locking on - flex hoses?

I went to do my first drive around the block with our new 68, and...it wouldn't budge. After letting it sit for about 20 minutes, I started it up again and didn't touch the brakes...and it rolled just fine. As soon as I hit the brakes, it locks up and won't release.

I figured the flex hoses were the likely culprit. I think it's the rear one, as there was no sliding marks from the front wheels, only one rear wheel was trying to dig a hole. I was only able to get the front hoses, the rear is on order.

I managed to get the RF flex hose replaced and bled, but it wasn't pretty. I'd like to smack the engineer who designed the front wheel cylinders. Who decided it was a good idea to aim the bleeder valve at the spindle so you can't get a socket on it? And the flex hose isn't much better.

I knew I was in trouble with the LF when I couldn't get the @*#$(& lugnuts off. I'm not sure what PO used on them, but...it took a few good smacks with a 5lb sledge on the wrench to get them to budge. After fussing with the flex hose for about an hour, I gave up. I think I'm going to punt and cut the hose off near the wheel cylinder, and use a deep socket to get to the flats. I had no luck with the wrench, and was starting to round it off (and I can't find my 5/8 flare wrench for some reason) so I stopped.

Is there a better way to getting a wrench on the bleeder and flex hose fittings?

Pat - 68 Camaro Coupe -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 18, 03:55 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: Brakes locking on - flex hoses?

IMHO Pat as part of the restoration to full driver status, a full brake job including an inspection and a full flush and fluid change is in order. If original steel brake lines are rusting inside out due to water in the fluid you will see it in the fluid you drain. Its an ugly job but peace of mind when stopping is enough to do it for - especially now while it is still warm out.

Brian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 18, 04:28 PM
Senior Tech
Rick

Why fight it? Calipers and hoses are cheap.

69 COPO clone, 461" BBC 11.25:1 Compression
840 Rec Heads (2.25/1.88) AED 850 HO carb
Orig Exhaust Manifolds
Straub (Clay Smith) cam, 288/300 .600/.569 109.
TH400, 3500 stall, 4.11 12 bolt posi

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 18, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Pat

Garage

It's got drums all around currently, first order of business is to get it mobile and past inspection so I can drive it to local services (tires, exhaust, etc) Eventually I'll replace the master and all the lines, and probably put discs on, but that's not at the top of the punchlist for now. I put a CPP front disc setup on my Nova, not sure if I'll do something like that again, or go with a 2nd gen retrofit. More research to do...

The fluid was cloudy but not horrible when I bled the RF, but yes...needs to be gone through entirely.

So what's the hot tip for getting a wrench on the bleeder and hose fittings? I picked up a cheap 5/16 wrench that I'm going to try to bend to get it on the bleeder. I think I'll end up cutting the hose and trying to get a deep socket on the hose fitting...

Pat - 68 Camaro Coupe -
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 18, 05:56 PM
Senior Tech
Rick

Hoses are cheap and they could probably use replacing anyway. Cut it.

69 COPO clone, 461" BBC 11.25:1 Compression
840 Rec Heads (2.25/1.88) AED 850 HO carb
Orig Exhaust Manifolds
Straub (Clay Smith) cam, 288/300 .600/.569 109.
TH400, 3500 stall, 4.11 12 bolt posi
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 18, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Pat

Garage

Got the rear flex hose replaced tonight, and it works!!! Still have to deal with the LF, but having it mobile is a huge help. Now at least I can pull it into the garage to make the rest of the work easier.

Pat - 68 Camaro Coupe -
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 18, 03:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steven

I remember my rear flex hose was rotted. The pedal pressure was enough to let fluid through to work the brakes but the return pressure wasnt enough to let it return through the rotted, narrowed out flex line not releasing the pads.

69 Frost Green Camaro
LS3 with TSP stage 3 cam
Tremec TKO 600
Moser 12 bolt rear with ford ends 3.73:1 Eaton tru trac differential
Speedtech pro touring subframe
Ridetech rear 4-Link

Follow my journey here:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode