Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Larger Dave

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 18, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

69 front tire leans in bad

I hit a pot hole about two weeks ago on the passenger side. It pulled hard to the left afterward and the front passenger side tire leaned real bad. Look like the upper ball joint was broke. I replaced both ball joints , sway bar links and the shocks on both sides. Decided to do both sides while I was at it. Got it all back together and sat it down. My front passenger tire still leans in at the top bad and pulls bad going down the road. What is going on ???? Car was just fine till I hit the pot hole don’t understand. Am I missing something or would that indicate something specific something bent ???????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 18, 01:05 PM
Team Member
David

Re: 69 front tire leans in bad

Are you missing any upper control arm shims?

Past: 74 Camaro HS car, 79 Camaro, 68 Firebird 350, 68 Firebird 400, 67 Firebird 326 Present: 69 Camaro, work in progress
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 18, 01:28 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Could have bent an A-arm, but as David said above a more likely a source of your camber issue is missing shims from the cross-bar that the A-arms bolt to; or missing bushings in the A-arm itself.

The original rubber bushings rot and fall apart with age. A bad lurch from a pot hole might have knocked what was left of the rubber bushing out all together.

Big Dave

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 18, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

Wow just figured it out I broke a bolt in upper control arm and the shims fell out. Oh my goodness I didn’t need to do any of that stuff I did what an idiot I am 🤪😳
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 18, 02:19 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

If you sheared off a half inch in diameter grade eight bolt then you probably did more damage than that. Like I said, you might have bent the stock stamped steel A-arm, or a tie rod in addition to shearing the bolt. Did you bend a rim or cut your tire?

That sounds more like an anti-tank trap than a pot hole; unless you were flying very low to the ground when your wheel hit the hole.

Big Dave
allanjs likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 18, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

No I actually was able to drive the car home no damage. The tire leaned in at the top so bad it looked like the upper ball joint was out of whack. Didn’t amess it to deep figured it needed a new upper ball joint so I said heck with it and replaced them all. Nothing really looks bent but what do I know I thought it was a bad ball joint 😵
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode