• 2 Post By rtchaney
  • 1 Post By rtchaney

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 18, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Garage
Lares 972 Steering Box!

Well, I grabbed a Lares 972 from Advanced Auto with Steering Coupler #201 (Ensure it's a #201...). If you didn't know, it is a 2 1/2 turn Lock to Lock Steering box that went in with no mods to my 1968. Honestly, it's more like 2 5/8s lock to lock but, meh. Rock auto had the Pitman, idler and updated tie rods with tall joints for cheap. Took 5 hours and a rented pitman arm puller. My inners were less than one year old.

Lessons learned:
The old steering gear will come out through the bottom real easy. Don't forget to pull your steering column before you try to install the new gear...
I just moved to Indiana and don't have a grease gun, so that was a treck back to AdvAuto.
Borrow a steering wheel puller. Mine is now off by about 60*.

Lares 972 w/ new beefy coupler: $280 after Core. (Lifetime replacement Warranty)
Pitman Arm: $11 (rock auto)
5.78" Idler Arm: $ 19 (rock auto)
Outer tie rods w/ tall ball: $42 Each (rock auto)
Total: $420ish with shipping

I have the short steering arms as of now. I've read that may be twitchy; I'll let you know. As of now, I need to adjust my PS pump as the new gear makes the belt slip on slow speed turns. I am interested to see how the car drives now with the 1 1/4" Vette Brakes front and 7/8" rear anti-sway bars and 250lb composite springs. I have the BMR arms and koni's around. Hmmm... Maybe I should upgrade the 4 wheel manual drum brakes? nah.

Will update soon as I'm driving the car from Indianapolis to Virginia tomorrow. I suppose that's a test drive?

-Rob
wireboy355 and Just 1 More like this.

1968, 5 speed, Vintage Air Gen IV, American Auto Wire Update Series, Champion 4 Core Rad, BMR front w/ Koni's, BP Roller 383, Posi 8.2", Solid Frame Bushings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 18, 07:38 AM
Senior Tech
Frank

Re: Lares 972 Steering Box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtchaney View Post
Well, I grabbed a Lares 972 from Advanced Auto with Steering Coupler #201 (Ensure it's a #201...). If you didn't know, it is a 2 1/2 turn Lock to Lock Steering box that went in with no mods to my 1968. Honestly, it's more like 2 5/8s lock to lock but, meh. Rock auto had the Pitman, idler and updated tie rods with tall joints for cheap. Took 5 hours and a rented pitman arm puller. My inners were less than one year old.

Lessons learned:
The old steering gear will come out through the bottom real easy. Don't forget to pull your steering column before you try to install the new gear...
I just moved to Indiana and don't have a grease gun, so that was a treck back to AdvAuto.
Borrow a steering wheel puller. Mine is now off by about 60*.

Lares 972 w/ new beefy coupler: $280 after Core. (Lifetime replacement Warranty)
Pitman Arm: $11 (rock auto)
5.78" Idler Arm: $ 19 (rock auto)
Outer tie rods w/ tall ball: $42 Each (rock auto)
Total: $420ish with shipping

I have the short steering arms as of now. I've read that may be twitchy; I'll let you know. As of now, I need to adjust my PS pump as the new gear makes the belt slip on slow speed turns. I am interested to see how the car drives now with the 1 1/4" Vette Brakes front and 7/8" rear anti-sway bars and 250lb composite springs. I have the BMR arms and koni's around. Hmmm... Maybe I should upgrade the 4 wheel manual drum brakes? nah.

Will update soon as I'm driving the car from Indianapolis to Virginia tomorrow. I suppose that's a test drive?

-Rob
Great info... would it possible to add the part #'s for each part?

'68 Camaro 454, 4sp
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 18, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Garage

Lares direct bolt in 10:1 fast ratio gear box w/ 4 bolt holes: Lares #972 ($295, $75 Core on Rock Auto)($360, $80 Coer on AdvanceAuto)
Lares direct bolt in 10:1 fast ratio gear box w/ 3 bolt holes: Lares #974 (The only difference is the number of holes) ($248) (send yours for rebuild on Rock Auto)
It should include the proper steering coupler (rag joint), if it doesn't, you need Lares # 201. $35ish.

Long Pitman Arm:
Quick Steer K6582, $19.64 - 5.78" Stud to Spline Center
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...itman+arm,7368 (I think that it's funny the Moog K6584 costs $57.79)

Idler Arm:
Quick Steer K6099, $11.09 (Moog K6009 is $39.97)
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...idler+arm,7328

Outer Tie Rods:
PROFORGED 10410529, $42.97 - .50" taller version for reduced bump steer

Inner Tie Rods:
Quick Steer ES681N, $3.73 (Moog ES681N, $15.97) https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...e+rod+end,7428

30 Rack of Coors Light:
071990300302, $18.99 on military bases....

-Rob
Just 1 More likes this.

1968, 5 speed, Vintage Air Gen IV, American Auto Wire Update Series, Champion 4 Core Rad, BMR front w/ Koni's, BP Roller 383, Posi 8.2", Solid Frame Bushings

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 18, 06:43 PM
Senior Tech
Frank

Thanks Rob

'68 Camaro 454, 4sp
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 18, 05:38 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Quote:

-Rob
Man, you don't mess around; that's a bold test drive. Watch out for all that hurricane-related rain and flooding. Off topic question - with the 383 five speed, what diff gear are you running and what kind of mileage do you get on a road trip like that?

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 18, 05:44 AM
Senior Tech
Frank

Quote:

-Rob
I'm in Ohio and have a car hauler trailer.. hit me up if you run in to problems and need help.

'68 Camaro 454, 4sp
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 18, 09:11 AM
Kevin

Interesting! What type of pressure hose does it take, the metric with O-ring or the SAE with a flare?

Advance Auto description says its the SAE with flare, but is that what you received?

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 18, 06:12 PM
David Pozzi

10:1 ratio is too fast for a first gen.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 18, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
Interesting! What type of pressure hose does it take, the metric with O-ring or the SAE with a flare?

Advance Auto description says its the SAE with flare, but is that what you received?
Stock lines.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 18, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpozzi View Post
10:1 ratio is too fast for a first gen.
It took a minute to get used to. I definitely understand why you would say that. It felt nice however, I may swap to a short pitman arm.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 18, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Garage
Absolutely lawless. Once on the highway I forgot about the swap after an hour or so. The next lane change I made was interesting at best. I moved the wheel as much as I had for years and immediately regretted it.... Spilled my coffee. Lol. As Mr. Pozzi stated, 10:1 is very agressive. My suspension is stiff enough that I don't mind it but, 12.7:1 is an option I've seen and bet that would be the sweet spot for most people.

My EFI elected to literally double my fuel flow the last 100 miles. That was fun.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 18, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Garage

Well, I'm home and had zero steering issues. Went from Indianapolis to Fairfax in one day then back a week later. No drips, wiggley parts, and I love it. Fun fact, my 383 gets over 20mpg at 80 with the AC on. That officially makes my car the most efficient vehicle in the family!!!!

- Rob

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode