Broke brakes - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 18, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Phil McCullough

Broke brakes

I have a 1967 Camaro SS-RS convertible family owned since new that required extensive repair/replace including all wiring, brake & fuel lines (Stainless) master cylinder, booster and most other brake parts, this is a drum brake car I have driven this car (cautiously) maybe 600 miles mostly secondary roads. The brakes are not what they should be. The left front wheel grabs aggressively but does become less aggressive after a mile or so if I drag them a bit. The left front brakes appear normal, the right doesn't appear as being used as much as the left but have nearly warn in. The adjusters are new and appear to work and I have repeatedly driven forwards and back applying the brakes and the drums appear to be adjusted correctly. The system has silicon fluid and bled ok from all cylinders. I do notice that occasionally the Brake warning light will come on but goes back off when releasing the brake pedal.
I don't know what to check further. This is just a Sunday driver that I occasionally attend shows with, I would appreciate any thoughtful suggestions. I just want it to be as safe as used to be. Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 18, 01:17 PM
John

Garage
Re: Broke brakes

Did you replace the wheel cylinders?

Iím not sure but usually silicon fluid is not recommended on these brake systems.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 18, 03:52 PM
Senior Tech
Al

You could have a few things going on. First if you didn't upgrade the master cylinder and all wheel cylinders to work with silicon brake fluid, get it out of there. Next check the front brake adjustment side to side to be sure there is equal drag. Same with the rears. I generally adjust so you can spin the wheel 1 to 1-1/2 turns using a hard shove with both hands. That's kind of hard to explain but you don't want them so tight they won't turn by hand and you don't want them so loose they free wheel.

Al

my 67' build thread:

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 18, 04:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

It does sound like you have a simple adjustment issue. I adjust the brake shoe to the drum where it just drags as you spin it. Backing and hitting the brakes has never worked for me. DOT 5 is fine to use if all the parts are new. Sounds like you have 50% new. The brake hoses and wheel cylinders should be changed at this point just because its the safe thing to do. Those are cheap parts that will make your vehicle safer for everyone on the road. Many will poo poo the DOT5 fluid, but I have been using it in race cars and muscle cars for years. Never had a failure. Just my 2 cents.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 18, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Phil McCullough

Broke brakes poster, unable to reply to responders? All new componets used, have installed lots of brake componets over many years just not so much lately (79 yrs old). Adjustments done correctly. May be a disc brake master cylinder installed? Will try to explain line routing and all componets in system later. Thanks.. Phil
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 18, 06:28 PM
John

Garage

Maybe star adjuster installed backwards.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 18, 06:37 PM
Senior Tech
Rick

A lot of good suggestions here. Silicon? No way!

69 COPO clone, 461" BBC 11.25:1 Compression
840 Rec Heads (2.25/1.88) AED 850 HO carb
Orig Exhaust Manifolds
Straub (Clay Smith) cam, 288/300 .600/.569 109.
TH400, 3500 stall, 4.11 12 bolt posi
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 18, 07:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

I have used the DOT 5 since I swapped to four wheel disc with no problems. Master, calipers and hoses were all new.

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 18, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Phil McCullough

The star wheels appear to be right though I am not 100% sure. Regardless I manually adjust the brakes to be as tight as possible without binding up when hot and the left front still skids immediately on attempting to brake? Thanks.. Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode