Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 18, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Al

Garage
How to remove rear hard brake line

Can anyone tell me how to remove the rear hard brake line from a 1968 Camaro with automatic transmission. I have the entire line unbolted from the frame and proportioning valve. I am installing a CPP front drum to power disc conversion kit and I need to fix the line as I put a kink in the rear line when bending it towards the proportioning valve. I was going to remove the line; splice a piece into it and re-install it. It looks like it is impossible to remove the line even though 80% of it is free from the rear on up to the bend in the frame where it goes up past the steering box and up to the master cylinder. Should I just cut the line near the frame rail and install a new piece that way?

Any help is appreciated from those who have faced similar issues.

Thanks,
Alan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 18, 03:13 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

It is best no to piece brake lines. It has a flair nut at both ends. There is a bracket that holds the two lines " rear, and the front cross over" under the master cylinder. Looks kinda like a heater hose bracket with a rubber insert. It then goes up to the distribution block.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 18, 04:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Vince

Garage
Re: How to remove rear hard brake line

Yes, you do NOT want to splice brake lines. If you are talking about the long line from the top of the axle full length to the valve, you should be able to. I just did this on a full size and it was easier than it looked.

1967 327 4spd convertible 119K
1968 RS Z/28 04D Norwood have owned twice
1968 RS Z/28 04D Van Nuys asleep for 36 years
1969 Z/28 X33

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 18, 05:03 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage
You should just replace that line. If u get the car elevated, you can loosen the subframe mounts. This will give you the extra space to turn the line and get it out.

This how I do it:
1. Jack up rear of car.
2. Place 2 stands under axle.
3. Place jack under subframe, and elevate.
3. Place jack stands at each corner of body. I use location just outside of where front subframe mount attaches. It is a fortified area. I put a small block of wood with rubber on it to protect underbody.
4. Keep the jack under the subframe for support.
5. Loosen rear subframe bolts.
6. Loosen front subframe bolts.
Note: drop jack incrementally to lower subframe...just enough to get line out.
7. Disconnect the brake line and pull it out.
8. Tighten up subframe bolts....i think they are 80 lbs-ft torque.

You could also install a stock hold off valve. This goes on the subframe just below the driver door. It allows you to install a 2 piece brake line. It's much easier to install/remove.

It also improves braking by keeping rears from locking up. I notice better braking on cars with 4 drums as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4270_1539259413758.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	222113  
Troutslayer likes this.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 18, 05:41 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Does your new brake kit include a proportioning valve? The suggestion above to install a proportioning valve as pictured above (hold-off valve or metering valve is located at the MC and not on the subframe) would allow the two section line. Check out the article linked below for a description of the brake valves and their function to see what you need and if your kit provides them. You will need some form of proportioning valve if going to disc/drum. You could also install an adjustable proportioning valve as well. Note that the later combination valve (see linked article) provides all the functions of the separate valves, but does not provide adjustable proportioning.

Camaro Brake Valves
Troutslayer likes this.

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 18, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Al

Garage

Thanks everyone for responding. I'll take a look at all the responses and let you know where I end up. Many thanks!!!!
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 18, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Al

Garage

Yes, my new kit came with the proportioning valve. I have this kit:

https://www.classicindustries.com/pr...s/bk2033d.html
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 18, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Al

Garage

To clarify - yes, this is the long hard line that goes from on top of the rear axle to the proportioning valve at the master cylinder.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 18, 01:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

The hold off valve is on the sub frame like mentioned. All cars did not come with them. I have never loosened a frame to get a line on. The 2 piece line is simple.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1011181614_1539288911060.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	222117   Click image for larger version

Name:	1011181616_1539288998488.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	219.1 KB
ID:	222119  
Troutslayer likes this.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 18, 01:26 PM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutslayer View Post

I donít think the valve showing in that kit is an adjustable proportioning valve

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 18, 03:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

It looks like a stock replacement valve. He needs the one on the frame too, if he doesn't already have it.
Troutslayer likes this.

X-77 keith
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 18, 04:12 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-77 keith View Post
The hold off valve is on the sub frame like mentioned. All cars did not come with them. I have never loosened a frame to get a line on. The 2 piece line is simple.
Wrong. The hold-off valve is under the MC. The proportioning valve is on the subframe. This misinformation is constantly being submitted on forums.
Read CRG tech articles for correct data: Camaro Brake Valves
Very few vendors refer to components correctly, which only adds to the problem.
Chevy68 likes this.

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 18, 04:24 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutslayer View Post

That is a combination valve, which is different from a stock first gen system. Combination valves are fine if factory components are not your goal.
Troutslayer likes this.

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 18, 04:26 PM
John

Garage

Scott is correct.

There are aftermarket adjustable prop valves like Wilwood that typically mount with a bracket to the MC. I actually have a Wilwood Inline Prop Valve mounted to the frame rail on my 66 Chevelle

When using on of these with 4 wheel disc brakes you do not need the rear brake residual pressure valve.

If using the adjustable prop valve with disc/drum you will still need a 10 psi residual pressure valve or the rear brakes will never work.
Troutslayer likes this.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 18, 07:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Al,
The picture of the kit you are installing shows what appears to be a combination valve that was discussed in the article to which I provided the link above. The article indicates the combination valve provides "all of the separate distribution/valving functions described above (distribution block and warning switch, metering/hold-off, and rear proportioning) were integrated in later second-generation disc/drum cars into what became known as the "combination valve". So, all you should need is the 10# residual pressure valve as John noted above (Wilwood has a nice one).
Troutslayer likes this.

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode